What's new

Stop buying everything, enjoy your products (newbies watch this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have stayed awake during the lecture on inventory costs so many years ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Nicholas,

It's good to see others are taking the non-addictive approach because it gives me people to talk to here.

I have spent $97.40 since Nov 27, 2019 when I started DE shaving. I loaded up a bit since I planned to start the Sabbatical this year. Thankfully, I avoided getting any addictions. I plan to make it through 2020 without buying anything.

NAD - Non-addictive Disorder
Wow, You've already spent money 7 months down the road. :p

I must have stayed awake during the lecture on inventory costs so many years ago...

The cost of inventory is much higher than people realize. I'm working at getting my inventory to an average of about $35 counting hardware at purchase price. Consumables will be under $10-$12.

I have written at least twice, more or less the same things, but it's refreshing to hear it from someone who is well known and has used much more products than i have.

Wetshaving is so subjective that it is the perfect playground for marketing through reputation, pricing and flattering. Also sense of self accomplishment. And you can be certain that as i wrote yesterday, this is a hunting ground and we are the pray of the business. We are pray and free working salesmen at the same time.
In an italian forum, with much less traffic than this one, it was for sure discovered once, an "undercover agent" of a company, posing as "just another wetshaver". In reality he was trying to promote his company's products by giving glowing and "spontaneous" reviews. If you think that this doesn't happen in US forums, where the participants and readers are 1000 times more, you are naive.

It was a good reminder. His video isn't only for beginners, it is also for old time wetshavers too. Will the message pass? It's like going to Oktoberfest in Germany and tell people not to get drunk with beer. Only few will heed the message. But, i should heed it too. It's time to restrain SBAD now.

Thanks for posting.

I definitely have purchased too many golf balls that promise to fly longer and straighter than the competition regardless of my technique. However, it is a great hobby/sport and I am ready for the next great ball.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I had a talk with a friend last night and today he sent me the following video.

You really can't imagine how much I agree with what Chris says in this video. Last time I watched a shaving video on Youtube was months ago, but this video deserved my attention. I've spent a few thousands of euros on shaving stuff the last years. A ridiculous amount, but ss razors are expensive... I did not buy my first traditional shaving equipment to save money or because my shaves with carts were bad. No. My shaves were pretty good with a Mach 3. I just liked the ritual and the stuff I saw at a barbershop. I was curious. And the rabbit hole was waiting for me. That's all.

If people say that carts are garbage, they're wrong.
If they say that you need to spend a lot of money on premium soaps, they're wrong.
If they say that the feel of an expensive badger brush and "that" batch is better, they're just trying to justify their spending.
I could go on...

Forums do fuel our spending until we realise we don't have to give our money to vendors and artisans to buy all these products. Most of them won't get used, so you just give money to store products in case you need them. It's ridiculous.

I've had enough of the hype all these years. I'm sick of most reviews of people who try to promote artisan's products and samples of "that" glorious new formula they received for free. I'm sick of people who are friends with artisans and vendors and try every single time to tell us about how amazing this product or "that" vendors is. There are plenty of them on forums. If forums didn't exist, most artisans and vendors wouldn't exist too. They gain a ton of money "taking advantage" of our craziness. I bet that most vendors and artisans use pretty basic stuff and don't care about the hobby. They're in for the money.

Don't fool yourselves they way I (and Chris and many others) did.

I won't engage in a discussion with people who fail to understand my point. It is what it is.
I agree with you that I don’t ‘need’ anything more than what I started with — a Merkur 34C, some AOS Sandalwood cream and some sampler blades. But for me, it’s gone beyond ‘need’ and has become an enjoyable hobby on which to spend some time and resources, and to share ideas, perspective and encouragement with others in a friendly, mostly adversarial-free environment. I ate Cheerios for breakfast when I was a child, and little else. But sometimes my mother would buy the variety pack. I loved the variety pack! And I still love variety. Your mileage may vary.

I definitely have purchased too many golf balls that promise to fly longer and straighter than the competition regardless of my technique. However, it is a great hobby/sport and I am ready for the next great ball.

All you need to verify the claim is gain access to a facility with a wind tunnel. Some golf balls, definitely have better aerodynamic construction (external surface material). Once you know which ones, then you can buy for sure. :001_302:

Both sides of the issue have merit.

Everyone needs at least one serious hobby, for reasons of mental health. Serious hobbies also are educational. Serious hobbies cost money.

I like the availability of new products. Simple setup is great too. But I get a lot of enjoyment out of new artisan stuff.

I wonder if he could have made the video without props.
Holds up the shave cream brand over 40 times, holds up the same cart razor over 25 times, and holds up the brush over 11 times. 3 products got a lot of love in this video. Smooth!

If you explore the human condition and narrow the condition down to a single word, the word could very well be, “need.” Consumerism feeds need. Perpetuates it. That’s why you see the universality of it all

I was thinking of writing a response to this, but I decided to save myself the effort and just link this instead.

Why We Buy Things We Don’t Need

Do what you want, just understand why you're doing it.

I just watched the video at the beginning of the thread. He's an engaging personality, and I think his points are sound. However, I also thought he was too wordy. He could have sent his message, and sent it well, in literally one-half the time.

@Nicholas:

This is the second thread where you have voiced your dissatisfaction regarding the choices you have made regarding your shave purchases. While I can sympathize, I would remind you that you are speaking of your experiences and feelings, not universal truths. As is so often stated by the experienced members, YMMV (your milage may vary). That is a universal truth.

So I thank you for contributing your experiences and opinions, but I ask you to please recognize that they are exactly that, your experiences and opinions.

I feel this video by Chris is aimed at the bloated marketing/shilling recently circulating on social media by PAA, Rich man shaving and Razor Emporium.

I agree with you that I don’t ‘need’ anything more than what I started with — a Merkur 34C, some AOS Sandalwood cream and some sampler blades. But for me, it’s gone beyond ‘need’ and has become an enjoyable hobby on which to spend some time and resources, and to share ideas, perspective and encouragement with others in a friendly, mostly adversarial-free environment. I ate Cheerios for breakfast when I was a child, and little else. But sometimes my mother would buy the variety pack. I loved the variety pack! And I still love variety. Your mileage may vary.

My mother would get the variety pack, and I'd only eat the Sugar Smacks, Frosted Flakes and Rice Krispies. Then I'd scream, "I want my Maypo!"

M

member 119848

I watched this video too, and really enjoyed it.
And for me, finding simplicity does not only imply being mindful on avoiding purchasing to much expensive products, but on the quantity of products owned.
What Chris points out, is how we easily get hyped about the latest gear. In my opinion, we all fell into the trap of materialism.
This video comes out when I am ending my downsizing phase. I have one high-end razor and one low priced razor and enjoy them both. Same with soaps (including Macca Root, Ahaha!).
I totally agree with Chris, and appreciate him for his honesty.

I simply refuse to give much thought to what others do in this hobby. Be happy. There are some for whom the minimalist approach works. I'm not one of them. I really enjoy trying new things. My eyes are wide open and it no financial strain to buy a new soap. I don't buy looking for the "best". I enjoy using them all. Same way with brushes and razors. This will become boring very fast if we were all become the same.

I have learned that I don't need redundant shaving equipment and supplies: I've obtained what works best for me, one of each for the hardware, and I've been set for years. A Fatboy, a vintage Floris 1971 brush, rebadgered five years ago, Gillete Silver Blue blades, a Utiemud lather bowl, even a Listerine frog blade bank from the 30s.

When I started back up with DE shaving, I did go wild on soaps and creams. I'm in a sabbatical now, and I'll pretty much be there forever, just replacing the few soaps and creams I've grown to love: MdC Rose, St. Charles Neroli, LPL Rose de Pushkar, Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamot Neroli, Spieck cream, maybe 2-3 others, and I'm happy every shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom