What's new

Razor blade variety.

So as i've said in my previous post i recently completed my first shave. I wonder in my next shave whether i should try another razor blade or use the current one till it becomes worn off.

Have fun, no harm in trying different blades early on. But stick to using only one razor to help you work on technique.

So as i've said in my previous post i recently completed my first shave. I wonder in my next shave whether i should try another razor blade or use the current one till it becomes worn off.

Since shaving is mostly YMMV, you have to balance "advice" on forums, which is usually interesting and informative in itself though often subjective, with your own experiments and conclusions. If you're like me you kind of weave your way forwards with a combination of both. You're also most welcome to disbelieve or ignore what I say.

General advice is to stick with one setup and focus on technique. And when you do make a change...alter only one variable.

Of course, you can do any dang thing you want.

At the least I would use a blade from the beginning of its life to the end. Blades will change with use. What I mean is that some blades will shave a bit rough for the first couple shaves and then smooth out nicely for subsequent shaves. You need to patience to understand how it’s going to shave for you early and late.

I leave one blade in a razor until it’s done or I’m tired of it. I find reseating blades and sharing saved blades with other razors never works out right.

That said, go ahead and experiment. Use it once and toss it if it sucks.

You started with a stellar blade though. Don’t be surprised if 19/20 blades suck in your journey

Or....
line em up and toss a coin

proxy.php

I’m assuming that you’re asking whether or not you should swap out the blade after one shave. If so, use it till it’s done.

Some people get two to three shaves from a blade and others can get 10 or more. It all depends on the blade and the face. Once the blade feels uncomfortable and begins to tug, toss it and pop in a new one. Bought in bulk, DE blades are 10 to 15 cents each.

If you’re referring to trying a different brand of blade, follow the advice given by others here and stick with the same brand of blade until your technique refines. Once you feel comfortable with your current setup, then definitely experiment with different brands of blades. You just might be surprised the difference a blade makes.

Use the one blade until it is uncomfortable, 3-7 shaves for most people. After that, if you have a sampler that has 5 or more blades per type, try a different type. If you have a sampler that has 2 or less blades per type, go buy 10 blades of non-VDH locally and use them. Then start sampling blades.

I have tried a lot of blades. I use a single blade until it becomes uncomfortable to use. I have used a few brands that were not sharp enough to cut my beard, so even the first pass with the blade was uncomfortable. With most blades I can get 3-4 shaves, a few might last 5-6 shaves. Some folks with less-coarse beards can shave for days or even weeks on a single blade.

When you use a blade, you want to take note of three factors:
1. How sharp is the blade? Does it cut through your beard easily or does it tug?
2. Does the blade feel smooth or harsh/rough against your skin? Of course, if your are new to using a safety razor, you may feel some discomfort until your technique improves. Use as little pressure as possible; do not try to force the blade to shave your beard; allow it to do the job it was designed to do.
3. How long does the blade last before becoming uncomfortable?

Most blades have a coating that makes them smooth, but a little less sharp on the first shave. As the coating wears off the blade may become sharper, but less smooth. Some blades, notably the Feather blades, are very sharp out of the pack as they are not coated. They may feel a little rough at first, but will smooth out somewhat. Then start to become dull quickly as the edge wears.

The blade that will work best for you will depend upon the toughness of your beard and the sensitivity of your skin. Purchase a blade sampler pack with a wide range of blades and find out which ones work best for you in your razor. Of course, if you purchase a second razor (or a dozen), you may find that different blades may work best in each razor. For example, I like a very sharp blade in a less aggressive razor. However, in a very aggressive razor, I like a less sharp blade. You have to experiment to see what works for you.

I’m assuming that you’re asking whether or not you should swap out the blade after one shave. If so, use it till it’s done.

Some people get two to three shaves from a blade and others can get 10 or more. It all depends on the blade and the face. Once the blade feels uncomfortable and begins to tug, toss it and pop in a new one. Bought in bulk, DE blades are 10 to 15 cents each.

If you’re referring to trying a different brand of blade, follow the advice given by others here and stick with the same brand of blade until your technique refines. Once you feel comfortable with your current setup, then definitely experiment with different brands of blades. You just might be surprised the difference a blade makes.

+1

When i first started i used one tuck (5 blades) of a single brand without trying anything new. I used each blade 4 times so it was 20 shaves and then i was off trying different brands. I’d say stick to one brand for now and then change it up. I only recommend it because it gives you a good baseline on how you like different brands going forward.

A lot of great advice for sure, thank you gentlemen. I will wait for my razor blade to wear off then try another brand, if i don't find success i will get back to the previous brand.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'd stick with one brand until your shaves are consistent. That's lather, shave finish, post shave feel, and blade life. You need to hone your technique and develop that consistency, before you can appreciate variety, otherwise you won't know if any perceived differences are due to the blade, or just your own variation in usage.

My understanding is that all modern production blades are PTFE/Teflon coated at a minimum. It's not advertized because it's not a competative advantage when everyone does it.

You should be able to get a minimum of 4 shaves per blade. I get at least 7-10 shaves before tossing mine.

Top Bottom