What's new

An expensive error

Hi Guys,

Opened up my new razor and dinked it on the tap during my first shave. Didn't hit it that hard, but it's got a hefty chip in it. Any advice on how to save it? I'm more than happy to send it off to somebody who knows what they are doing.

The chip shows on the 'blank' side, the 'Spartacus' side shows barely anything:
IMG_20190212_134820.jpg

The chip:
IMG_20190212_134853.jpg
IMG_20190212_135005.jpg

And again in different light:
IMG_20190212_125535.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20190212_134726.jpg
    IMG_20190212_134726.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20190212_134724.jpg
    IMG_20190212_134724.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
It is just going to need to be re-honed. Shouldn't be too big of a problem if you have a 1000 grit stone I'd start with that, I don't think you'd need to go any more aggressive because that chip is pretty minor.

AWWW Man! You are now a part of an illustrious and Ill-Fated group of wet shavers who have done this... Yours truly included..... You'll definitely need to have it rehoned and you will loose about half a bevel's worth of metal in the process, but your razor should still last you until you are dead and in the ground.
I'd like to suggest, if you don't have your own hones, @Doc226 is a fantastic hone meister. His edges are well renowned.

By the way WELCOME to the forum!

I did the same thing to my NOS Herder then I first got it. It was a tiny nick that I was able to hone out, but it took a bit on a 1K stone to get rid of it.

Awe thanks guys, you're making feel better about it, now that I'm past my "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!" moment.

At least the rest of the shave went well enough, and thanks for the warm welcome too.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Just home on something like 400
WD and keep at it until the chips are gone. It takes some time but the razor will survive.

Nice pictures! You are new so I would suggest you send it out. The Doc will take care of you and you get to test out a real nice edge. Make a bad situation into a good one.

this should be the beginning of a "add this to your signature" sort of thing, Tap the Tap, Brotherhood of the tap or some such :) Brotherhood of the tap makes you sound like a beer aficionado or something though :) :a17: :beer:

this should be the beginning of a "add this to your signature" sort of thing, Tap the Tap, Brotherhood of the tap or some such :) Brotherhood of the tap makes you sound like a beer aficionado or something though :) :a17: :beer:
Clink the Sink Dint(kink?)

Hi Guys,

Opened up my new razor and dinked it on the tap during my first shave. Didn't hit it that hard, but it's got a hefty chip in it. Any advice on how to save it? I'm more than happy to send it off to somebody who knows what they are doing.

The chip shows on the 'blank' side, the 'Spartacus' side shows barely anything:
View attachment 952072

The chip:
View attachment 952073 View attachment 952074

And again in different light:
View attachment 952077

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Where are you located?

Looks like a pretty straight forward fix. On my first shave with a straight, I dinged the toe pretty well. Can you post a pic of the entire blade?

You guys and putting it under the tap to rinse while you're shaving. What the heck am I missing? A nice polyurethane wet sponge, wiping the foam after every stroke. Nowhere near the tap. No danger ever. EVER. Never the worry of a chipped blade. Again : why should I rinse under a tap?

You guys and putting it under the tap to rinse while you're shaving. What the heck am I missing? A nice polyurethane wet sponge, wiping the foam after every stroke. Nowhere near the tap. No danger ever. EVER. Never the worry of a chipped blade. Again : why should I rinse under a tap?

I rinse under water and have never touched the tap. The water is not left running - just turned on and off as necessary.
Why should you rinse under the tap? Nobody is telling you too, many seem to like the sponge.
For me its like putting garbage beside the garbage can only to have to put it IN the garbage a few minutes later. You are washing your sponge off anyway, it just saves a step and not having a sponge laying around is a plus.

Clink the Sink Dint(kink?)

Loving this idea. I propose a motion to name the group 'The tap whack pack'. Beer drinkers also welcome.

@stone and strop @Lord Fatboy - I've sorted somebody to fix it now, but thank you.

I'm trying to remember the specifics (it all happened so fast!), but I think it was after I rinsed and as I moved to dry it on my towel, I was already thinking ahead to my next stroke.

It's still shaving well across the rest of the blade, so I'm going to take a week to get better at stropping etc., then send it off to fix all my mistakes in one.

Loving this idea. I propose a motion to name the group 'The tap whack pack'. Beer drinkers also welcome.

@stone and strop @Lord Fatboy - I've sorted somebody to fix it now, but thank you.

I'm trying to remember the specifics (it all happened so fast!), but I think it was after I rinsed and as I moved to dry it on my towel, I was already thinking ahead to my next stroke.

It's still shaving well across the rest of the blade, so I'm going to take a week to get better at stropping etc., then send it off to fix all my mistakes in one.
I haven't done the tap, but I, almost immediately upon starting SRs, did a "slack scale fail" (TM):). Closing the SR, the edge hit a scale. Not thinking about it, my first strop stroke EVER produced a scratch the length of the strop from where the edge had been bent over from the contact. Luckily, following advice from here, I had purchased a "poor man's strop" (with flaws even), so wasn't too upset about marring a brand new item upon first use.

I do pay attention when closing razors now, and inspect if any contact is made, even if it seems minor. :)

Just wait until you drop one. That's a bad day for sure. It took a year but I finally dropped one as I was stropping. It was a sad day.

Top Bottom