What's new

What did I pull outta the swamp?

Ok it's a bay rescued but it looks like it could have been pulled from a swamp lol.

Having had some albeit, minor success in restoring my dad's old razor, I've decided to take a plunge off the deep end and try to rescue this swamp thing!

Made an offer and didn't expect much but, the seller agreed lol!

It's got teeth that'll make a dentist cry!
s-l1600(7).jpg

A bald top that's different in color that it's body.
s-l1600(9).jpg

Not quite sure when it last took a bath
s-l1600(10).jpg
s-l1600(11).jpg

I'm guessing it's a gillette new of some sort. It's weeks away before I can do anything but what is it anyway lol?

This reminds me of my first pound rescue... I've no idea what you are but you're coming home with me.

I'm planning to use a stiff toothbrush, some brasso and plenty of elbow grease.
Or I'll just shave it as it is and freak out my girl rofl!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Looks like a NEW Long Comb to me too. I have a few that I salvaged from the bay to try to resurrect and have yet to do. I have good intentions but never seem to get there. Great razors apparently, I have yet to try one.

NEW LC. Teeth are relatively good in fact, and it should clean up very nicely with some patient rubbing. Plenty of threads you can look at to see what to use.

Thanks so much guys... Raven seems to think its a short comb...

Being new n rather ignorant I'll go research what these razors are lol.

I just got the most cruddy razor I could restore n made an offer not knowing what it is lol.

Thanks again guys :D

Last edited:
Short comb is the right answer - logo in the middle. Also, post-summer of '32 (reissue patent #), but perhaps even later due to later cap (non-squared standoffs).

Tom

Hi Tom... Emmm I'll pretend to understand every word u just said n nod in agreement. While in the background typing like mad to figure what the heck u just said lol!

I gotta find my jaw under the couch somewhere.... I've just been schooled in razor history lol!

Hi Tom... Emmm I'll pretend to understand every word u just said n nod in agreement. While in the background typing like mad to figure what the heck u just said lol!

I gotta find my jaw under the couch somewhere.... I've just been schooled in razor history lol!
Mea Culpa. On the underside of the Long Comb the Gillette Diamond logo is off to the side, on the Short Comb it is in the middle. Sometime in mid-1932, after the Probak merger, some of the razor patents were reapplied for, resulting in the Reissue patent #. There are several long threads on the cap standoffs - I think @rabidus and @Esox have been researchers and contributors to those.
this is a pic of the different cap standoffs from @Esox here:
Gillette Short Comb (SC) admiration
img_1469-jpg.814302

HTH,
Tom

Don't make me drop more stuff I still can't find my jaw lol.

Dang I've got a ton of researching to do. Damn this RAD n I've just gotten a few straight razors too... Slaps forehead!

Sincere thanks Tom!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Throw the whole panoply of cleaning stuff at it! Then shave it for 50 more years.

Finish the new red and yellow brass razor with Maas polish.

AA

Throw the whole panoply of cleaning stuff at it! Then shave it for 50 more years.

Finish the new red and yellow brass razor with Maas polish.

AA

I'll be lucky I can still hold a razor in 40 years lol!

Panoply of cleaning stuff... hmmm let's see what's in the sink cupboard...

Brasso, autosol, singer oil... I'm pretty sure detergents, soaps, antiseptic solution, toilet cleaners and hand wash will do squat!

It's just those 3 and an old stiff toothbrush. I was thinking of getting a cheap China ultrasound cleaner but I know my girlfriend will kill me if I bring in more stuff and I'm not encouraging her considering I have a bunch of straight razors on the way too lol!

That is certainly a NEW Short Comb. Yours is one of 4 different configurations the Short Comb can be found. Below, the first 2 are, in my opinion, not configured ideally, while the 3rd is. The 2nd and 3rd utilize the NEW Long Comb cap, while the first is the cap made primarily for the Short Comb. The 2nd comb has the deeper tab relief.
3 NEW SC.jpg

These have the same combs, but different caps, yet were sold in this configuration. The one on the right came in the pictured box. Both are Thin Bar handles, the one on the left is a Thin Uncommon Bar Handle and the one on the right is a Thin Common Bar Handle.
72681916-51ff-433e-9aba-c765313d4f3b-jpeg.941200

Here are the typical NEW head configurations: Long Comb, Deluxe, Short Comb, Short Comb.
e40c4fe4-47a9-4e72-8a24-26aa1c1d2311-jpeg.941201

My favorite is the Short Comb variation next to the Deluxe.

Also, any gold wash on these will come off if you clean it too aggressively. The first layer is a very thin layer of lacquer. The brass can be either Red or Yellow Brass. Personally, I do all I can not to remove either.

Last edited:
Hi REV579,

Thanks for your info however there seems to be an issue with the rest of the photos.

I'm not sure how not to remove more than necessary as the razor is in pretty crummy shape but all I'll be using is a toothbrush, brasso and cotton buds for the teeth. I'll just removing as much of the oxidation as possible and as soon as I see shine, I'll stop. From the pictures I seriously doubt that's any gold plating left, the bottom is already showing red like the cap. I'm try my best not to do any more damage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated so I don't ruin this gem.

Last edited:
I'll repost it here, with the images in the correct context. Perhaps a mod can delete the first post...or leave it.

That is certainly a NEW Short Comb. Yours is one of 4 different configurations the Short Comb can be found. Below, the first 2 are, in my opinion, not configured ideally, while the 3rd is. The 2nd and 3rd utilize the NEW Long Comb cap, while the first is the cap made primarily for the Short Comb. The 2nd comb has the deeper tab relief.
3 NEW SC.jpg

These have the same combs, but different caps, yet were sold in this configuration. The one on the right came in the pictured box. Both are Thin Bar handles, the one on the left is a Thin Uncommon Bar Handle and the one on the right is a Thin Common Bar Handle.
2 NEW Short Comb.jpeg

Here are the typical NEW head configurations: Long Comb, Deluxe, Short Comb, Short Comb.
4 NEW Razors.jpeg

My favorite is the Short Comb variation, next to the Deluxe.

Also, any gold wash on these will come off if you clean it too aggressively. The first layer is a very thin layer of lacquer. The brass can be either Red or Yellow Brass. Personally, I do all I can not to remove either.

Hi REV759,

Too bad there isn't a like button as your posts deserve a huge LIKE!

Thank you so much for the info.

The razors look amazing and I just hope I can get swamp thang to look shiny and new to try shaving with it too.

Huge thumbs UP to you mate!

I'm really starting to appreciate brass as a material. If swamp thang was stainless steel the oxidation would be almost impossible to remove without serious sanding, with brass it seems to be rather superficial.

Last edited:
The razor in the OP doesn't appear to have any wash left on it, so Dawn and really warm water(avoid boiling water) and a decent toothbrush should clean it up nicely. To further remove the green verdigris, light use of a brass brush should loosen the green(copper I believe) that is attached. As long as you aren't too aggressive, the sharp points on the handle and edges will stay crisp.
I sent a couple off to be refinished:
NEW before pictures.jpg

When I got them back, I was really pleased:
Banks - NEW SC - After - 1.JPG

The caps are on the wrong combs in the image below(and I chose a different Thin handle):
Banks - NEW SC - After - 2.JPG

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hi REV759,

Too bad there isn't a like button as your posts deserve a huge LIKE!

Thank you so much for the info.

The razors look amazing and I just hope I can get swamp thang to look shiny and new to try shaving with it too.

Huge thumbs UP to you mate!

I'm really starting to appreciate brass as a material. If swamp thang was stainless steel the oxidation would be almost impossible to remove without serious sanding, with brass it seems to be rather superficial.
It should clean up just fine. I look forward to before and after pictures when it arrives please!

Top Bottom