What's new

May is Melanoma Awareness Month

My thanks to the great folks at Badger & Blade for including my articles each year, and with God's good graces I hope to continue these articles for a long time to come.

Great articles [MENTION=98310]mr_eleven[/MENTION] ! I had my first full body check a couple months ago (@29). My mom has had tumors removed twice, with no systemic involvement. I've been bathing in sunscreen since I was a kid. Also - if you're going to be outside for a while, use an SPF chapstick/lip balm as well! Melanoma can begin on the lips very subtly!

I am at the age where I have had the pre-cancerous spots frozen off a few times.My fathers head is a mass of scars and valleys from all the removals he has had.My dermatologist recommended Eucerin because it contains zinc and titanium,I don't want skin cancer , but these chemicals along with other sunscreen chemicals are showing up in the blood stream.That can't be good either.

Great articles @mr_eleven ! I had my first full body check a couple months ago (@29). My mom has had tumors removed twice, with no systemic involvement. I've been bathing in sunscreen since I was a kid. Also - if you're going to be outside for a while, use an SPF chapstick/lip balm as well! Melanoma can begin on the lips very subtly!

Thank you and good for you and your mom and good call on the SPF lip-balm! I use one as well and wear sunglasses religiously as ocular melanoma is another one we have to watch out for, too.

I am at the age where I have had the pre-cancerous spots frozen off a few times.My fathers head is a mass of scars and valleys from all the removals he has had.My dermatologist recommended Eucerin because it contains zinc and titanium,I don't want skin cancer , but these chemicals along with other sunscreen chemicals are showing up in the blood stream.That can't be good either.

Sunscreen is definitely a bit of a dilemma. On one hand it can do a lot of good, yet it seems there's always ingredients present that may do harm as well. As a fair-skinned Scotsman sunscreen is a must, so I try not to beat myself up over the ingredients and just wash it off as soon as I'm done.

I booked a full body mapping to my dermatologist for next Monday.
I'm Mediterranean but nice to have an idea of what's happening with a good screening.

I addition I have a mole growing weird on my leg that cause me some discomfort

Thanks for raising this issues often underestimated by many people especially younger fellas.

My parents live on Maui, and you can imagine the doctors there are very meticulous about keeping track of skin issues. I think it is doubly important for haaole to keep up on things since it isn't at the forefront of people's minds like it is on the islands. Great reminder!

and please understand that I use the potentially pejorative haaole with all affection. Have a great day. :)

My thanks to the great folks at Badger & Blade for including my articles each year, and with God's good graces I hope to continue these articles for a long time to come.

Thanks so much for sharing your story mr_eleven. :thumbup1: As a fellow regular dermatologist visitor, I'm rooting for you!

We are in the risk group, you and I, so the smart thing, I think, is to use the sunscreen. I have the actinic keratosis spots frozen off twice a year now as well which is mildly uncomfortable. But I've experienced multiple basal cell and one squamous cell removals. The minuscule risks of very minimal exposure to a few chemicals is far milder than the procedures and risks that result from cancers; not desirable but far less risk than the alternative, in other words. If we follow the directions we can also minimize that subcutaneous exposure as well. For example, applying 15-30 minutes before going into the sun prevents a lot of the penetration across the skin. Hope your news continues to be good! :thumbup:

I have had 8 spots removed and countless frozen in the past 2 years. I see the dermatologist every quarter to evaluate progress. Those ladies have seen me naked more times than I can count!!

my year in Vietnam in '68 and my Northern European skin has been showing up, one minor melanoma and a lot of pre cancerous cells started about 30 years ago, and i see dermatologist every 6 months. i try to tell my bass fishing club members about the risks and many are following my advice. keep educating everyone!!

Before this month ends I want to update this article/thread one more time, as I just had surgery (my 4th) to remove a small tumor in my mesentery, which is a fold of tissue that holds the intestinal tract to the abdominal wall. This tumor was removed as it was difficult to know if it was in fact necrotic (dead) like my others from PET & CT scans. Permanent pathology results will be available later this week.

Yet even after everything I've been through these past 2 years I have been extremely blessed, extremely lucky and perfectly cared for every step of the way. But, I remain the minority of stage 4 cancer patients as we are still no where near winning the nightmarish battle against cancer and many other diseases.

Being the mindful minority, I willingly, and wholeheartedly embrace my new responsibility as an ambassador, of sorts, for cancer patients everywhere. I write a blog and speak at new cancer patient/doctor symposiums. I lend myself and story to UCSF to promote new ideas and avenues of care. Yet most importantly I try to help other's understand that our health and security begins within.

So get outside and play. Go on a hike or bike ride just to watch the sun go down. Splurge on that single-malt you've been eyeing or rib eye you pass by each week at the butcher, or even that new razor /soap / brush you've been dying to try. Whatever it is, just make sure to take a little time each day to see and feel just how amazing our world truly is.

Just remember to wear a little sunscreen and a nice hat while your at it ;-)

$Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 9.38.07 PM.jpg

Top Bottom