What's new

Ordered a DE89L

No real reason for this thread, other than the fact that I'm stoked! :biggrin1: Ordered it yesterday from Best Grooming Tools. It seems like they are the only people on the planet with any in stock. Dropped my Slim and it hasn't been the same since, so I needed a replacement as the aluminum handle Tech just wasn't cutting it. I'm hoping that this razor is aggressive enough, because it sure is purty.
proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's a saavy looking razor!

Yours should be even purtier than that picture. That's the older style with the recess in the bottom of the blade bed. The new ones are flush and, IMO, purtier.
Also, the handle lines look washed out in that pic. The real one is much purtier. And they're not the most aggressive razors. A little more than a HD, I think. But some think the other way, so it's probably a close call. They're way more aggressive than a Tech, and they do shave as smooth as owl poop, that much is for sure.

I have one and I love it. A little more aggressive than the Tech but very smooth, a lot smoother than the HD which I never quite liked so I found a new home for it.

Hopefully you get yours in that nice blue box with the EJ logo on it. Mine came in a generic burgundy box and I was a little disappointed. They call it the new and improved box - yeah, right - I call it cost cutting!

I tried the DE89L with a Feather blade and liked it very much and then with a Derby blade and I was not a big fan of the combo. I got a fine shave, but it lacked the smoothness of the Feather combo.

I'm very interested in finding out what blades you guys like in your DE89L.

Last edited:
hi, can anyone take pic of there edwin jagger 89l, to compare the old head to the new, bc i think i got the old not sure, bought from bestgroomingtools on there site says new design but idk for sure. thanks

hi, can anyone take pic of there edwin jagger 89l, to compare the old head to the new, bc i think i got the old not sure, bought from bestgroomingtools on there site says new design but idk for sure. thanks
I think the picture at the top of this thread with the recessed base is the old head. There's a picture of both further down on this page. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=95735&page=3

Let me know how you liked dealing with bestgroomingtools. I'm looking at ordering a razor from them. They've been quick to respond to questions I had.

The razor I ordered was form BGT. If they send me the wrong razor I'm going to return the item, because the site does claim to have the new head. If it is unused I do the same if I were you.

I think the picture at the top of this thread with the recessed base is the old head. There's a picture of both further down on this page. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=95735&page=3

Let me know how you liked dealing with bestgroomingtools. I'm looking at ordering a razor from them. They've been quick to respond to questions I had.

Last time I ordered from BGT I had a minor problem with a product (EJ had updated their brush line, but the picture was of the old style. Very minor inconsistency.) and they offered to refund my purchase in full if I was dissatisfied. I was more than pleased with their etiquette and professionalism.

This is truly a fantastic razor. I've had a variety of vintage Gillettes and new Merkurs (adjustable and non-adjustable) and this razor is head and shoulders above any other razor I have tried.

ah ok the recess in the bottom of the blade bed. The new ones are flush ok i just checked mine its flush thanks idk why i didnt just check that to begin with after reading sailormans post

njpaddy, i got mine pretty quick from bestgroomingtools, easy to deal with i just placed another order on some bluebird blades, and some edwin jagger sea buckhorn soap i hope its good.

Got my razor tonight. Looks good! It's a little bulkier than I'm used to, but it feels pretty good so I'll have to see how she does tomorrow in the a.m. I'm going to pair her with some PSGT and a Red Pack IP. Wish me luck!

Top Bottom