What's new

Your Worst SR Injury?

All you guys are brave. Wow.
Don't let fear control you lol
1607700772730.png

lol Don't hate your straight razor, that will lead to suffering... not the best quote to use when talking about shaving with straights...

I get far less nicks with a SR than I have with a DE. That could be down to me being more careful but skin stretching probably helps too.

My worst and only injury to speak of was on the XTG cheek pass six months in. The razor had a pointy toe that dug into my cheek. Too much pressure on the toe. I felt nothing on my face but the stroke didn’t feel right and I stopped to readjust. I got a small paper cut about 4mm long that stopped bleeding by the end of the shave and cleaned up easily with cold water. No permanent damage. Totally healed in a few days.

That little paper cut was the worst I’ve had after nearly 11 months of straight razor shaving. I’m sure that I’ve saved myself countless DE nicks in that time.
It seems like readjusting is the most common culprit....

My my Matt you need to put the mother inlaw in a room and lock the door, that way you stay safe my friend...

My worst cut was while restoring a straight, well I dropped it and I was dammed if it was going to hit a tile floor. So in my wise wisdom I went to catch an open razor I can now tell you big mistake, wear gloves save's finger and thumb yeah yeah I know I did not have any on and my result was painfull.... Super glue or better known as CA and a band-aid works wonders...

20190908_200536.jpg

Yep I'm a truck driver that's right-handed so driving kept opening them up, just remember folks stay safe over Christmas we don't want any missing fingers.... or Ears
But yes Chicks dig scars

The worst cut I've had left a small 5mm mark near my jawline which disappeared in a few days.

As others have said, very often you don't even feel small nicks. At worst a barely-perceptible stinging sensation.

Straight razor shaving really isn't dangerous providing you pay attention to what you're doing. It would be rare to do any damage which alum won't close up.

Every time I pick up a straight, or shavette, I pay close attention to the first pass and how sharp the edge feels, then I adjust my technique accordingly. You can relax more with a milder edge but have to be much more precise with a very sharp edge.

Worst is honing. Was grinding a chip out at low grit and my base slid out on me, Wound up cutting a fairly deep V out of my thumb between the knuckles. Didn't hit bone though, so not terrible, but a lot of blood.

Shaving? Not many injuries. A couple straight slices from grip slipping a time or two and my face being used to control the blade to keep it from dropping. Usually heal within a day or two though because the cut is so straight and clean. Generally don't even bleed unless you spread the cut. Worst one was shaving without waking up first with a spanish toe and slicing my earlobe in half (Think if you took a traditional ear piercing and just cut from there to the bottom of the earlobe... basically that) moving from cheek to under my jaw because I didn't calculate where the toe ended correctly. Noticed it because I felt a warm drop hit my arm when I switched to the other side of my face. Couldn't really bandage it, so just kept it disinfected and held gauze on it for a couple hours until it managed to clot.

82C925C1-9D2C-4627-9FC9-A71138C6300A.jpeg
My my Matt you need to put the mother inlaw in a room and lock the door, that way you stay safe my friend...

My worst cut was while restoring a straight, well I dropped it and I was dammed if it was going to hit a tile floor. So in my wise wisdom I went to catch an open razor I can now tell you big mistake, wear gloves save's finger and thumb yeah yeah I know I did not have any on and my result was painfull.... Super glue or better known as CA and a band-aid works wonders...

View attachment 1194916

Yep I'm a truck driver that's right-handed so driving kept opening them up, just remember folks stay safe over Christmas we don't want any missing fingers.... or Ears
But yes Chicks dig scars
View attachment 1194981
Dropped a razor while honing, and for some reason it just couldn't get to the floor without having a go at my calf. Now it's long pants and shoes for honing.

Top Bottom