What's new

Your thoughts on Weber ARC performance.

There have been many posts on the Weber ARC and DLC. However, the majority of comments actually deal with the look and design. Others post their comments based on one or two shaves. I'd like some input regarding the ARC based on greater usage. Today I shaved with it (maybe the fourth or fifth time) using a Gillette 7 OC black, and Simpsons Shaving Cream. I could hardly feel the blade in both passes of a 2-pass shave. I was utterly blown away. But after rinsing I noticed that it was far from the closest shave I've ever had.

What say you about the closeness of the Weber ARC shave? With respect to aggressiveness, can you rate it from 1 to 10; 1 being the Muhle R89/EJDE89, 5 the Progress set at 2.5-3, and 10 being the Fatip or R41 (latter would be eleven, but close enough).

I know that I should probably shave with it more regularly and work out any bugs in my technique, but as Confucious said -"Man with one face cannot be facile with all razors." Thus, I'd love some input, because as I said, the smoothness blew me away...if I can just get it closer by even a whisker, I'd be pleased. Get it? Closer by a whisker...while discussing shaving...

i apologize, but i do not have one, but if your technique improves and you still find it does not shave as close as you like, why not try one shim in the Weber. It would probably make a world of difference as i use one in my EJDE89 which you rate as a 1 and i can get a fantastically close shave, and i have many open-combs, a Cobra and adjustables. Good luck.

Hi Teddy: I love my Webers. I purchased my 1st Weber DLC w/ Bulldog handle in May and loved it so much that I purchased the ARC. Both razors perform well. No difference IMO. I am not one in rating but my Weber razor is my favorite closed comb razor with the FaTip being my favorite OC. Every time I use my Weber....I get super smooth results. The Weber heads glide effortlessly smooth when I shave both face and dome.:thumbup:
$IMG_20120830_103022.jpg
WARHAWK

Last edited:
Reactions: JSW
I have over a dozen razors that make their way into my rotation. Nothing gives me a closer shave than my Weber Bulldog ARC. I've used it 15 times so far, so have a decent feel for it. I have a hard time telling how aggressive a razor is, other than by the closeness of the shave. The blade gap appears bigger than that of my Tech and Superspeed, and similar to a New Improved head, but there may be a little more curve put into the blade. The Weber seems gentle when it comes to drawing blood or leaving razor burn, but these are uncommon for me anyways. So far, I've used it with Iridium, Barber Personna, Gillette Yellow, Astra SP and Feather blades, and ended up with an exceptionally close shave with each. Perhaps the blade angle is your issue. I find it very similar to that of a New, although the resulting shave lasts longer with the Weber.

Mike

A shim is a blade with the cutting ends trimmed off.

Regarding the ARC vs the DLC:
I have both. I haven't gotten around to using the DLC yet, but just from running my finger over the heads, I kind of have a suspicion that the ARC is just so much smoother. When I made a comparison between them both, as well as other razors, I found that your finger runs smoothly over the head with no resistance. The DLC is smooth as well, but not as much. And other razors seem to like to grab your finger and hold it. I know this is why we use cream/soap lather, but if it is that smooth by itself, that says something to me.

I really need to get around to using them more. So many razors though... :001_unsur

While we all agree to the magnificence of real shaving, one reason this forum exists is because we all have slightly different views. Take the Feather AS-D1 - it seems we have a love/hate relationship with it ... Ditto the R41. I own the DLC and it is my "go to" razor (but I sold my Feather), but subtleties of skin difference, elasticity, whisker thickness etc give people different experiences - it's what keeps us interested.

I know technique counts for a great deal, but the Weber is reasonably benign with a biggish sweet spot. I find different blades in different razors make a huge difference (Feather in my Weber works for me, but never in my HD - I generally use a Wilkinson here etc etc).

Good luck with the experimentation and I hope you get the shave you want from your Weber.

While we all agree to the magnificence of real shaving, one reason this forum exists is because we all have slightly different views. Take the Feather AS-D1 - it seems we have a love/hate relationship with it ... Ditto the R41. I own the DLC and it is my "go to" razor (but I sold my Feather), but subtleties of skin difference, elasticity, whisker thickness etc give people different experiences - it's what keeps us interested.

I know technique counts for a great deal, but the Weber is reasonably benign with a biggish sweet spot. I find different blades in different razors make a huge difference (Feather in my Weber works for me, but never in my HD - I generally use a Wilkinson here etc etc).

Good luck with the experimentation and I hope you get the shave you want from your Weber.

I did the same experiment with the AS-D1 and the Weber DLC. Just sold my Weber. The slight increase in aggressiveness could not beat out the sheer level of smoothness in the shave that you get from the AS-D1. Plus the DLC coating seem to increase the amount of drag that I got from the razor against my skin, making it feel like I had to pull it across my face instead of the razor gliding effortlessly across it.

No experience with the ARC coating yet.

Hi Teddy: I love my Webers. I purchased my 1st Weber DLC w/ Bulldog handle in May and loved it so much that I purchased the ARC. Both razors perform well. No difference IMO. I am not one in rating but my Weber razor is my favorite closed comb razor with the FaTip being my favorite OC. Every time I use my Weber....I get super smooth results. The Weber heads glide effortlessly smooth when I shave both face and dome.:thumbup:
View attachment 268883
WARHAWK
I agree with Warhawk, my ARC Weber with Bulldog Handle is my current favourite safety bar razor. It is a great razor.

Top Bottom