What's new

Your thoughts on muhle r89?

Hey all. I am a newbie shopping for 2nd razor I have a Merkur 34c I am looking at the muhle r89 grande. What do you think? Anyone used this razor?

I haven't personally used a 34c but it looks quite similar to the r89. Why don't you get a different style of razor for your second one, like an open comb?

Anyway, the r89 is a great razor head (this is also the one used by Edwin Jagger). It is very forgiving and gentle. You can pull it through your stubble without much thought on what you're doing. You need a more aggressive blade to get a really close shave with it.
The Grande handle is quite convenient for large hands. Personally I like the standard size better, even though I don't have the smallest hands myself, but that's just my weird preference.

The production quality of Mühle is by far superior to Merkur. You will definitely enjoy this razor even if I assume it's not that different to the one you already have.

Thanks for the input. I have thought about going open comb or slant bar just for something different. Although I'm not sure what the benifits would be to those styles. Guess I'll have to try em and see. Oh darn more razors to buy :)

This razor has the same head as the Edwin Jagger De89 as stated above, which gets great reviews here, although I'm not a huge fan since I always get irritation when using it. I prefer the vintage Gillettes, you can try a bunch of styles very cheaply, and they seem to be more user-friendly, at least in my hands they are.

I love Muhle in general. I have tried something of everything they make.

For me, the grande handle was not really my favorite. The regular R89 is just my goldilocks of handle design. (It is very similar to the EJ DE89). It is a very mild razor, but one of my go to razors. OC when the growth is thick!

I have thought about going open comb or slant bar just for something different. Although I'm not sure what the benifits would be to those styles.

I'm not sure about the specific benefits of slant razors as the only slant I have is an open comb. :) From what I've heard slants are supposed to provide a closer shave than a closed comb razor.

In open comb razors the blade edge is typically more exposed thus granting you with a more direct "feel" for the blade. You can generally achieve much closer shaves with open comb razor due to this enhanced blade exposure but they are also more aggressive. So you can't shave quite as carelessly as with the r89.

I like both types for their specific benefits. The closed combs (especially the r89) for the early-morning, still-half-asleep shaves when I don't want to think too much about what I'm doing. But if I want a really awesome shave I'll choose an open comb. More often than not my BRW New but if I want a challenge the r41.

The Muhle/ Edwin Jagger heads are phenomenal. Some of the best razors on the market today, and vastly superior to Merkur in overall quality. The shave they give is wonderful as well, very smooth.

I was using a Merkur HD, as well as a Muhle r41, but got the EJ DE89, put the Muhle handle on it, made it an r89, and now it's my daily shaver. It is much smoother than the HD.

I have an EJ89 (same as R89) and a Merkur 34C. In terms of a shave they give me they are very similar. The fit and finish of the EJ89 is geads and shoulders above the Merkur 34C. In fact, Merkur 34C really has tough time fitting in with my idea of a German-made machine. It is very well designed and I really like it for that. I find it a bit more comfortable in terms of weight and weight distribution, but that's very personal. I also like the two-piece design better than the three-piece, but that's splitting hairs. In terms of looks and quality of manufacturing 34C appears like a cheap crude implement compared to the Edwin Jagger. Again, once I am shaving with either one I forget all about that, but as they sit on your shelf and you look at them, there is a world of difference. The two pieces of equipment are in different classes. Again, in terms of a shave you will get they will not be very different. I would recommend you try some vintage Gillette next since that is a whole 'nother world out there. Also, even though the EJ89 and 34C are considered fairly mild, they tend to give me irritation, especially when I use a sharp blade like Feather. I have a ball-end Gillette Tech, which is probably one of the mildest razors out there and I love it! I can achieve BBS with it every time and never cut or irritate my skin. I also have two Super Speeds: one flare tip (my birth year) and one 40's style non-dated (I think it's 1949 since it came in a case). Right now the 1965 Flare Tip Super Speed is "stuck" in my rotation while I explore the world of soaps. I need to keep razor constant and '65 SS Flare Tip is the perfect everyday razor for me. I can throw any blade in there and come away with an excellent shave. Don't forget that you need to explore the mild side as well as aggressive side of the spectrum until you find the razor that treats you well. Me, I am fine with mild Flare Tip, 40'S SS (only a little more aggressive than the Flare Tip, I call them the same with a different head height) and the ball-end Tech. I will come back to the EJ89 and 34C at some point once I am sure of what variables razor controls more intimately. Everyone's skin is different and skin/growth combinations are endless, so try different things, but do try to make one change at a time. If you are testing a new (to you) razor, go back to the soap, brush and blade you know and love. Assess how your results feel. I simply find myself with a razor burn too often after EJ89 and 34C, but they are great razors, just a bit too aggressive for me, perhaps. Or my technique is not refined enough yet to get a comfortable shave on my face with one of those. I am not selling them yet, but boy, do I love my '65 SS. It is just so reliable, comfortable, gives very good feedback and works on all parts of my face where I shave.

Best of luck and ENJOY!

Top Bottom