What's new

Your Skin Will Toughen Up - Is this a Myth??

Another vote for the myth theory!

IMO, the improvement in my skin is 95% related to better technique and 5% related to better hardware and software.

IMHO it depends upon your age. As a younger man my skin toughened but as I grow older I find it can loose that toughness. YMMV.

Chris

I truly don't know. Skin will adapt, but I don't think it gets "tougher" as a result of shaving.

But, I've been shaving for 40 years on a daily basis. Plenty of time for my face to adapt.

Switching back to de shaving was very easy for me. No irritation, no drama, no need for lotions, potions, or salves. Hanging out here, I realize I was somewhat lucky.

IMHO it depends upon your age. As a younger man my skin toughened but as I grow older I find it can loose that toughness. YMMV.

Chris
That's exactly where I am Chris. Tough as shoe leather when young but now seems
sensitive. Waiting out 3 days to shave again here as a new shave just brings on new rash. I think I'll get over it; giving it time. Just been wet shaving about 10 days.

I vote for myth. I get caluses on my feet and hands, but not on my face.
Try walking a mile with your face. You'll get calluses then. As any boxer will tell you the skin on your face does grow much much tougher as leather gloves keep rubbing against it. After 5-6 months of vigorous sparring sessions you get the "leather face" effect, doesn't look very nice.

I'm not sure "toughened" is the correct term. Certainly I experience a change--my face feels tighter and thicker. Probably as much the result of face-lathering than anything--that's got to have some impact on oils and dead skin cells, right?

I vote tools and techniqe.

As a young man I tried shaving daily. They said my face would adjust, but after about 2 weeks my skin was irritated and raw everywhere. I switched to DE within the past year and I have been able to shave daily with very little trouble.

Something is still not right. Twice now, I"ve waited 48 hours to shave. . . and still the redness and irritation. Am using very light pressure so I don't think that's it. Maybe I'm putting too much stuff and trying out too many things on the face? Was trying WH 3 times a day but that seems to aggravate it, or something does. Am waiting another 48 hours. Or maybe I should wait a full week?
So seems 80% of people say this original topic as a myth. And about 20% say your face has to, let's use the word 'adapt' instead of toughen up.

Something is still not right. Twice now, I"ve waited 48 hours to shave. . . and still the redness and irritation. Am using very light pressure so I don't think that's it. Maybe I'm putting too much stuff and trying out too many things on the face? Was trying WH 3 times a day but that seems to aggravate it, or something does. Am waiting another 48 hours. Or maybe I should wait a full week?
So seems 80% of people say this original topic as a myth. And about 20% say your face has to, let's use the word 'adapt' instead of toughen up.

Maybe you have an allergy. If you are face lathering, the brush may be too coarse. I have a badger brush that can easily give me brush burn. One thing I don't do, counter to every reccomendtion, is wash my face before shaving. Washing my face before a shave has allways made my face prone to razor burn.

I'm guessing you recently switched to a DE and soap and brush. What did you use before and what are you using now?

Never been allergic to anything in my life - don't think that's it. Brush is pretty soft. I've been trying washing face and NOT washing face prior, both produce redness/burn. I'll go back to not washing my face and see if that helps. But thanks for the suggestions. Just ordered some The Cool Fix gel/lotion, everyone swears by it for redness/razor burn.
Yes, I fairly recently swished from electric razor.
Using the mild Weishi razor, soap and cream with good blades...not cuts nor bleeding.

Using several diff. kinds of AS. Does anyone think alcohol in the WH or AS could be the culprit?
Will get this figured out.

Thanks Hoka Hey. I know it's drying but does THAT cause redness and irritation?
Yes it can, I have seen Golfers with wind burn. Wind running over your face can wick away mosture and cause it to dry out. Not sure Why I see it on golfers mostly. When your face gets chapped, it is usually your skin drying out from cold and wind.

I'm 74 and don't really notice any difference in toughness of my face, as long as I have patience while shaving and have properly adjusted the razors that I use after experimenting to find this adjustment, I usually get a nice smooth BBS shave and my face looks pretty smooth.
In another matter, I do have to protect it from the sun.

there's always a plan B.

Top Bottom