What's new

Your Skin Will Toughen Up - Is this a Myth??

I've heard several on here say this, that your skin will toughen up or get used to it; regarding razor burn. Is this a myth or not? Does your skin indeed toughen up and adapt? Or is it just a long held myth? What say ye?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
This topic has come up often, and most seem to say that it's a myth. To me, this doesn't make much sense. Everywhere else on our body, skin will toughen up when abused.

I grow my beard out for about a month or so every few months. I'm always more prone to razor burn for the first week or so after I haven't shaved for a month.

I bet it is a bit of both. I am sure your skin will toughen a bit but I think more than likely your technique improves so you notice less and less nicks and razor burns. I have been doing this for a couple of years and I really don't think my skin has changed that much.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Your skin will certainly toughen up.

We're talking about soaking your head in pickle brine, right?

In my case, a clear myth. My skin is much softer and less irritated after switching to wet shaving.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don't cause myself razor burn nearly as often as I used to do so, but there is no mechanism in the skin that allows for it to no longer be harmed injury.
Email that is good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm with @Cyjazz, #14 above. I believe it's the result of improved skills. However, keeping the skin clean, hydrated, and nourished consistently over time HAS to be factored into the calculation.

Top Bottom