What's new

Your Shaving Year in Review - 2010

Tell us about your shaving year in review for 2010. You might touch on some of these suggested topics, or something else:
  • Any very special acquisitions this year?
  • Are you new or returned to DE or straight razor shaving this year?
  • Did you bring others into the light?
  • Did you try some new products or techniques that really impressed you?
  • After giving blade shaving a try, did you return to cartridges?
  • Did you set/meet any shaving goals for the year, or set new ones for next year?
To avoid this becoming the sum of all other threads, just keep to those highlights that made your year what it was. Maybe where you've come in the year and where you're headed in the next.

After two years of wet shaving, I can finally differentiate the quality of shave produced by each of my razors. As a result, my rotation includes these 7 razors that give me the best shaves = New Improved, New, Red Tip, Slim Adjustable, Aristocrat, Merker 34C and EJ 89L. The Schick injector type L sees occational weekend use. The rest of my collection is now on display = Old Type, Goodwill, Tech. On the brush front, I added a Shavmac and find it to be just right on the density meter.

I just started using a brush and soap/cream this past April, then jumped into DE a month or so later.

I hope to improve my shaving performance on my neck, and settle into a couple of "go-to" blades this year.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Not much changed this year. After years of having cartridges banned from my domain, I finally picked up a Schick Hydro 3 for those days when I have to get through my shave more quickly. The biggest problem with it is, I like it too much. That's right, a cartridge that I actually like. :thumbup:

Tell us about your shaving year in review for 2010. You might touch on some of these suggested topics, or something else:
  • Any very special acquisitions this year?
  • Are you new or returned to DE or straight razor shaving this year?
  • Did you bring others into the light?
  • Did you try some new products or techniques that really impressed you?
  • After giving blade shaving a try, did you return to cartridges?
  • Did you set/meet any shaving goals for the year, or set new ones for next year?
To avoid this becoming the sum of all other threads, just keep to those highlights that made your year what it was. Maybe where you've come in the year and where you're headed in the next.

Born again shaver. Here's the time line:
  1. 1970-2010: electric, disposable, cartridges, goop, pain, suffering
  2. Early 2010: read The Zen of Shaving (by fellow member letterk) and Is Straight Razor Shaving for You articles on the internet (see my signature).
  3. March 2010: order my first DE razor and it is defective. Order my first straight razor.
  4. April 2010: Describe my problem with the DE razor with Vintage Blades and Jim determines it is defective. Order a 34C and enjoy first BBS and enjoyable shave of my life.
  5. May 2010: sliced my thumb down to the tendon while transferring my straight from left-had to right hand. Attending physician laughs at me while applying four stitches. Co-workers don't say No when I suggest they retro shave. They say Hell No.
  6. May 2010: lay my cards on the table and tell Joel I can't shave. He diagnoses my problem as improperly honed razor.
  7. September 2010: something clicks and I can straight shave. Cancel my plans to rent my face out to Halloween parties in town.
  8. December 2010: honed my first razor. Bought my first SE razor and blades. Stay tuned next year for results on the SE razor.

...I DID IT!!!...
:jump::badger::a50::a5::a29:

The highlight of this year, for me, has undoubtedly been learning to shave with a straight razor. Next year I will attempt to learn how to hone my razors. I have always wondered what it was like to shave with a straight and now I know: it takes time to learn and to do but it is well worth it because it is the most fulfilling and fun way of shaving that I have tried yet. My beloved DEs are gathering dust.

On the aquisition side, I was lucky enough to get hold of a nice Tuckmar razor for about 5 bucks and two vintage swedish straights to fuel my craving for these wonderful utensils from the national heritage of my country. Last but not least I tried my hand at SE shaving and although it will not replace my straights, it will be handy for the days when time is an issue.

Last edited:
I just started using a DE a couple of months ago after receiving one as a gift from a friend. I had always been so terrified of them but I enjoy shaving with a brush and good shaving soap....

Any very special acquisitions this year? Tried Proraso Shave Cream and loved it. Purchased Merkur 38c and loved it. Started getting back into the straight scene , still learning with my TI. But waiting on my first restored vintage to come, should be here in the next day or two. This is the one: http://www.therestoredrazor.com/sho...ypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=28&category_id=1

Are you new or returned to DE or straight razor shaving this year? Gave up the carts last year around this time and haven't looked back, well maybe once I looked back.

Did you bring others into the light? Not yet, Im enjoying the light all by myself.

Did you try some new products or techniques that really impressed you? Less pressure, Proraso Shave Cream.

After giving blade shaving a try, did you return to cartridges? Answered this in question 2.

Did you set/meet any shaving goals for the year, or set new ones for next year? Well today I used my straight and nothing but my straight. Did a 2 pass wtg and just left it that way. I didn't use my DE for touching up. I feel this way I will have to just perfect using a straight razor until I start getting some fine results.

Cheers and Happy Holidays to All.

Any very special acquisitions this year? Not that I remember. I got a bit tired of buying special stuff which I never used up fully.

Are you new or returned to DE or straight razor shaving this year? No. Still on my trusty cartridge.

Did you bring others into the light? No. There aren't many I can convince.

Did you try some new products or techniques that really impressed you? No, although Institute Karité was and is a nice soap to shave with.

After giving blade shaving a try, did you return to cartridges? No.

Did you set/meet any shaving goals for the year, or set new ones for next year? My ultimate shaving goal is still straight shaving, but unfortunately with the quality of my eyesight that has to remain a dream for some time to come. I loathe contacts, hate the idea of lasering, and can't see properly without my glasses. So straights are out: simply too dangerous.

Pré de Provence started agreeing with me after a disastrous spell last year. I think it had/has something to do with me putting on and subsequently losing a lot of weight. One's skin will be affected by weight gain and loss.

My technique is now so good I can get great shaves out of a number of products. This is very good as it allows me to rotate with ease, and to fall back on other products should they be discontinued. (The horror!)

Basically I felt comfortable enough about shaving to realise that I had achieved what I set out to do a few years ago: finding something better than my routine offered me back then. Perhaps I should quit the forums now... :)

2010 was the year I fully discovered soaps. In my early days I would use a soap now and then but routine and quick shaves were always with creams. I've only used a cream a couple of times in the past couple of months. With this has come a far greater use of face lathering. I have a really nice scuttle I spent £40 on sometime last year but it has only been used a few times.

I've also come to the conclusion that only Feather blades really work for me. I have given away all the others I tried and found they dragged or tugged on the first use. I have others I have yet to try - leftovers from sample packs - but seeing as the Feather is said to be the sharpest blade there is, I don't see any other being as effective.

Regarding razors I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that my Merkurs are no longer going to be a go-to item. Compared to the Tech and modern versions like the Lord, they seem more aggressive with no increase in the effectiveness of the shave. I don't think my 39C or 38C got a single use in 2010. Perhaps I'll give them another proper try in 2011. It's ironic because they are the most expensive of my razors.

Finally I have decided that I really don't need any more shaving stuff for a while except for some new blades. I have therefore taken up the 2011 Sabbatical but am tempted to sneak in a purchase of 12 Arko sticks before the 1st January. I tried one for the first time this morning and it was fantastic - and they are less than half the price per stick if you order in bulk!

After a promising start with DE razors in 2009, 2010 was the year that I discovered I preferred both injectors and SE razors.

My razor collection grew by leaps and bounds, and I met a couple of acquisition goals, such as my "at least one of each letter" series of Schick injectors.

My stockpile of blades is at or close to the lifetime supply level, while soaps and creams will last for many years.

Many tiny incremental improvements in lather and shaving technique have added up to produce great shaves, almost every day.

This was my first year of wet shaving. I started out wanting to try SE, bought a few quality German shave ready blades, tried it for a couple weeks and decided it was not my thing. Next on the plate was DE shaving: slim adjustable, black handle super adjustable, 2 fatboys, black tip, and 2 superspeeds later, I have 3 that I like in my rotation (the first 3 with the fatboys being my go-to); I can tell the difference between them all and most shaves are with the fatboy's. 2 months into DE shaving and I am using them every morning and I am even waking up early to allot more time to myself so I can enjoy it.
I would really like to try out a variety of blades this year but I will say that the red Personas a like a hot knife to butter on my face. Other than that I am in love with mamabears products so I will stick with them.

* Any very special acquisitions this year?

Everything safety razor related from safety razor, AS, ASB, DE blades, etc. It's like rediscovery old friends again.

* Are you new or returned to DE or straight razor shaving this year?

Been wet shaving since I started shaving with cartridges but the price has become exorbitant that I blatantly refused to pay for them anymore and until I cut myself so many times because I tried to prolong the use of them. :001_unsur

* Did you bring others into the light?

Yes, but they just laughed at me saying that it took too long to shave with old metal after all they did not enjoy shaving as it was a chore. They preferred electric shavers ... :huh:

* Did you try some new products or techniques that really impressed you?

Yes, all the classics or rather rekindled the tried and tested.

* After giving blade shaving a try, did you return to cartridges?

No way. That's one reason I moved on ... or back to the proper shave.

* Did you set/meet any shaving goals for the year, or set new ones for next year?

Yes, it has given me the perfect shave with no damage to my wallet and my next goal is to acquire a Feather SS, then and perhaps show others the right way to shave without paying silly price.

:biggrin1:

This year I fulfilled one of my goals as a collector...I now have a cased 1905 Double-ring in excellent shape with paperwork.
Ahhh! Life is good.

2010 was my year of aquisitions. I've begun accumulating straights, but still haven't had the time to give them the attention they deserve. Next year I intend to begin learning and continue restoring them. My biggest splurge was the Semogue Select Silvertip from vintagescent.

I've discovered that Feathers are the blade for me, and that the HD is my go-to razor. I have made a concerted effort to discover my preffered products so that I can reach my goal of a 'minimalist' kit - hopefully next year.

I got my brother into wet shaving this year. He was already using a DE, but I replaced his goo with TOBS Sandalwood and an Omego brush. He loves them.

Personally, I moved to Chattanooga this summer and had a shave crisis. I just couldn't get my soaps to lather properly for a couple months after the move, presumably because of the difference in our water here vs. my water back in VA. After finding that traditional creams just don't do it for me and a month of trial & error/bad shaves, I finally got my Arlington puck working strong. I've fallen back in love with it and find it far superior to the TOBS and T&H soaps I also have.

Not new to wet shaving, but I came back to it in July after years on an electric. Before the return to the light, shaving was a bore, now it is a relaxing, looked-forward-to, bit of leisure.

I have infected my son and 3 of his friends and one of the wives.

Restoring old brushes is a fun hobby and I might even sign up for a woodworking class.

Before, whenever SWMBO wanted to drop into an antique store or Goodwill store, I stayed in the car. Now I am eager to poke around looking for a lost treasure. Even the drugstore aisles sometimes yield goodies.
My new hobby is a mixed blessing in her eyes.:thumbup1:

I signed up for the 2011 sabbatical, but feel myself weakening already.

I started 2010 by trying a Gem Junior (1912) for the first time ever . . . and after just one shave had a new "favorite" razor!! That same razor is still in First Place!!

I mastered a Gem Micromatic Open-Comb, after it first tried to kill me by removing my face. :001_rolle (Declined adding said razor to my regular rotation.)

I PIF'd three Super Speeds, blades, soap, and brushes to business associates. One threw out his cartridge razors, another just tried his yesterday for the first time and likes it . . . The third has since grown a beard.

I answered the Slim vs. Fat Boy question and finally accepted the fact (YMMV) that in spite of the hype and popularity, the Fat Boy does NOT shave as well as the Slim. Sorry. Close, but no cigar!!

Finally, I have added a straight razor to my routine. I still have not mastered it (talk about a process!) but I am improving! I look forward to the day when I can master a three-pass BBS straight shave . . . I guess that is my goal for 2011. :thumbup1:

Biggest thing for me is that I became a wetshaver this year. Although I learned to shave w/ a DE (I have honeymoon pictures to prove it) I really didn't know anything about beard prep, reduction, brushes, etc. So...

Highlight #1 - Finding B&B and the endless amount of instruction, information, and encouragement.

Lessons Learned:
  • Technique trumps everthing - after six months, I can get a good shave with almost any combination of hardware and software (some I like better than others...)
  • A blade sampler is always a good idea to start out
  • Restrict the number of simultaneous moving parts - change one variable at a time and live with the change long enough to learn from it
  • It should always be fun

Major Milestones:
  • Feathers - I used the Feathers in my sampler pack last per the advice of many experienced folk here (a good thing because my technique was up to it by then). Using Feathers I really learned the meaning of 'no pressure'. It allowed me to re-evaluate some of my blades and my razors - all for the better.
  • Discovering boar brushes (lots of good inexpensive fun there...)
  • Discovering the adjustable razor ('59 Fatboy)
  • Discovering the Long Comb New
  • With the two above, improving my technique to the point where I can get a comfortable 2-pass BBS nearly every time I shave
  • Figuring out which of those razors I like the best (and the winner is...[see Coming 2011 below])

Coming in 2011:
  • ...The Long Comb Gillettte New. Which of course justified the recent order of a refurbished New head sitting atop one of Bob's Razor Works Slim Bull Mastiff Handles (coming to a shave den near me the 1st week of January)
  • Trying lots more soaps. Just got started in 2010. I was originally a creams shaver because it's easy enough to start out. But I still want to keep the expense down so I've asked my children to buy me a new soap for occasions like Christmas, Birthday, Father's Day. That way they can fund my experiments. (Nice to turn the tables after all these years! :001_tt2:)

Most importantly - thanks to all who have contributed to my shaving education by their selfless sharing on B&B - this is a great place!

I started wetshaving this year. Only been at it since Sept and already have restored numorus brushes and working on restoring some straights. Started straight shaving about a month ago and now I am doing so even using my non dominant hand and with out cutting myself. And I have yet to cut myself with my DE, only one is a merkur open comb and I love it. Have a nice collection of soaps and some AS. Now that my technique is getting so much better

I look forward to restoring more brushes and straights and keep at it.

I think the best thing was about a month ago I missed a spot right next to my lip and didnt notice it until about an hour after I had shaved. I figured I would just grab my mach 3 and get it real quick. Suprisingly I couldnt get those couple little hairs using it and it started to frustrate me so I grabbed my DE and boom gone in a second. That was the day I put my mach3 under my sink and havent touched it since

Top Bottom