What's new

2023. What did you add to your shaving arsenal?

Enough that I cannot (or choose not to)
Guys

No judgement. What ever happened to, “I began wet shaving to save money? Cartridges are too expensive”.

Continue to enjoy the hobby and all that comes with it in the New Year.
I can honestly say that saving money was never a reason for me. I started my journey with the goal of learning something new and by that I mean something old. That was the art of using a straight razor. It was a great experience but I decided it wasn't for me and went the next evolution of shaving and got into vintage DE/SE razors and have been enjoying the journey ever since.

This will probably make others feel good about how much they acquired last year. Enough that I cannot (or choose not to)give accurate numbers, but definitely more than I needed. More than a few vintage DE razors and a couple second hand Fatips, PAA DOC nickel and a Merkur - way too many pucks of soap - 8 Rubberset 400's with some PAA ferrules with spare knots for them - couple Razorock 400's - a lot of Old Spice shaving mugs, 9 with their original soap pucks - couple Gillette countertop display cases - around 600 blades, mix of new and vintage - 3 Twinplex Stroppers - a few Seaforth Shaving mugs - numerous bottles of Old Spice Cologne/After Shave/Talcum - some other misc. shave brushes.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
2023 was a consolidation year for me. I didn't start wet shaving until Feb. of 2022 and used an AC razor until September of 2022. That's when I started exploring double edge razors. I just reread my own journal until the end of 2022. I had 4 Top Razors along with some others I was trying.

Fast forward to the end of 2023. I added a few razors to my Top Razor list in 2023 but kept the 4 mentioned above and sold off almost everything else. I now have 12 razors I can use and achieve those 12 hour, relaxing, smooth, comfortable yet close shaves that have become my standard. I'll be adding one more razor to the list in 2024 so I'll have a baker's dozen, i.e., 13 Top Razors. This list does include my very first razor: the ESC Claymore Evolution. I expect to have 5 AC razors and 8 DE razors at the end of 2024 that made it to my Top Razor List. At the moment, the only outlier is the Karve Overlander. I am still on the fence about buying another one, as my first one and I didn't get along as well as I expected.

I also consolidated my brushes. At one time, I had 23 brushes and am now down to 7 badgers and 4 boar brushes. My wife is using my two remaining synth brushes and loves them along with my first PAA Filament. I use two badgers that Rudy Vey reknotted for me as part of my pre-shave routine. Four of the badgers are in a simple rotation for my regular lathering routine. The last badger gets pulled out from time to time but is too good to sell. Add to that.... it was my very first badger brush so it holds some sentimental value to me.

Soaps? I have 10 unscented soaps. I only have two left over from the ones I purchased in 2002, so I must have added the rest of them in 2023. As you can see.... I don't seem to keep detailed reports of when I purchased what when it comes to soaps. I don't have any I plan to buy in 2024.... So that's good.

Lastly, AC and DE razor blades. I only have a few kinds of DE blades, all favorites of people here on B&B. I've tried all the ones I have with the exception of the Gillette Platinum in the light blue boxes. I seem to use Perma-Sharp and Nacets more than the others when it comes to DE blades. AC blades are easier. I pretty much only use Feather ProGuards or Kai MG Protouch blades... both guarded but I figured out the AC selection in 2022.

A bit more long winded than I planned.... Sorry about that.

2023 purchases? Well let's see.....
Several soaps and splashes lol
Barrister & Mann Seville soap/splash
Zingari Man Nomad soap/splash
Hendrix Classics and Co. Gunslinger, Year of the Tiger, and Cowboy Up soaps/splashes
Master Soap Creations Pole Position shave soap
Wet Shaving Products Ol' Kentucky shave soap

Blades
11 NOS Schick Injector Plus Platinum blades
100 Lord Big Ben DE blades
50 Gillette 365 blades
20 Statum DE blades
20 RK Chromium DE blades
100 Tiger Superior DE blades
100 Gillette Silver Blue DE blades
100 Dorco DE blades
100 Shark Super Chrome DE blades
100 Astra Superior Platinum DE blades
On top of numerous other blades I've acquired over the years; the rabbit hole is real 🤣

Razors
Merkur 37C
Vintage Schick Injector L1
Added to many other razors acquired in previous years

Stirling Gatlinberg , Aligari, Oro Valley all with matching splash

Also a handful of Stirling Black Friday aftershaves

Wet the face quiet man, vintage and modern barbershop , Mr Warlock all with matching splash

Mr. Fine lather bowl

Simpson m7 brush

Not much to report here. I did get a spiffy new shave bowl and some new soap over the holidays, but that's it. I don't like accumulating too much "stuff", generally speaking.

I added several Saponoficio Varesino soaps and aftershaves, a couple of DR Harris soaps, four pucks of Mitchell's Wool Fat in the old tallow formula, a couple of new heads for my old Above the Tie Atlas handle, plus a new X1 Slant head and a Calypso handle, a Simpsons Manchurian Badger X2L, and a Simpsons synthetic Chubby 2, along with a pile of SE and DE blades, and a brush/razor stand. I also picked up a Thater brush stand. All that was after a decade of only buying feather blades or MWF when needed! I guess you can say 2023 was the year I decided to make wet shaving more of a hobby than an efficient shave.

Top Bottom