What's new

Your shave or cream choice based only on performance?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, you're getting soaps AND creams here. Not in the OP but since they are doing it, I'll answer your question and throw in a soap.

Best cream: Queen Charlotte Soaps (the creams)

Best soap: RazoRock Linea Officina Artigiana soaps

Those are the two top-of-my-heap products in each category. And they are reasonably priced and have some great scents, to boot!! :thumbup:

(I put a premium on slickness.)

JM Fraser's produces the best performing shaving lather I have tried, it is a cream.:thumbup:

My favourite soap is probably......... either Col. Conk Rum:thumbup1: or RazoRock Classic:thumbup1:

I can't decide on one only, so in order:

QCS Cream Soap gets me the closest shave now that I know it's water/product sweet spot, and is plenty moisturizing.

Next is Pre de Provence, which lathers without any effort, and softens whiskers like none other. It also is very moisturizing, as it contains shea butter. I grab this one when I didn't have enough time to do my usual beard-softening ritual.

Finally, Mitchell's Wool Fat, which doesn't get me as close a shave as the others, but moisutizes my face to ridiculous levels. It ts my go-to for days when I know I'll be exposed to dry heat or cold, bitter wind.

Last edited:
The best? Tabac soap hands down. Best beard softening, cushion and lather of any soap I've used. There are a few tied for second, Cella, Mamma Bear's, Spieck cream but Tabac tops them all.

Still have a few soaps and creams on my list but so far AOS lavender soap and Palmolive shaving cream always give a good shave and leave my face feeling great.

Soap: MWF or Saint Charles Shave
Cream: GFT, Proraso, T&H

These would be what I would pick from if I was shaving for my wedding, seeking BBS and no irritation.

I find that the majority of my soaps and creams leave me with the same end results. Some feel a little nicer during the shave, some require more or less work or attention to produce their best lather, but ten minutes after the shave, it's all good. There are soaps I use sparingly because of the smell; I just want to use them now and then until they're gone and not buy them again, but the actual shave is not any worse.

If I want to select from a list of solid favorites, and leave vintage soaps out of it, then I could pick from MWF, Cyril Salter soap, D.R.Harris, Williams, any variety of VdH, Speick or Arko sticks, Proraso cream, or Musgo cream, to start with. Any of these will let me get as good a shave as a given razor and blade combination will deliver.

So far it's Vulfix Lavendar. I've only tried 3 others though. Vulfix whips up quickly and has great lube properties.

Top Bottom