What's new

Your shave or cream choice based only on performance?

Hi everyone,

I hope this message finds you all well. I have read many reviews of creams and soaps on the forums, and in many cases the efficacy of the shave gets obscured by the price, the scent, the moisturizing properties, the availability, etc.

However, I was wondering what your choice of soap or cream would be based only on efficacy. Imagine that your skin is in good shape, you have your optimum number of days of growth, and you have to go for a BBS shave. What would be your choice for your cream or soap? I would really love to hear from those who are veterans who have tried high-end products over the years.

Look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Scott

Tabac soap

Cream? This would be a little tougher. The Erasmic cream I used this weekend was awfully good. Love the lanolin. And that is the reason I usually say Musgo Real is my favorite cream. The Tabac cream gives a slick and protective lather and I get great close shaves with it. I'm still going to say Musgo.

Edit: I should have mentioned the La Toja cream. It is right up there with the other creams I mentioned.

Last edited:
Number one is performance, second price, smell, etc.

For me it is a toss up TOBS Avocado and Acca Kappa Almond

Shaving creams were my worst AD. In 2010, I bought then tossed, sold or gave away (but rarely finished) more creams than I care to admit. I'm currently down to 4 creams and 2 soaps in regular use. However for special occasions or if my face feels a little irritated or if I missed a couple of days shaving, the Taylor Rose cream comes out. For some reason it makes my skin feel good in addition to the close shave. Any of my 3 Salter creams would be a close second. Salter makes a nice soft, slick cream.

This past year I've tried many different Creams and the selection of very good ones seem to be many IME. I've found my Top Three Creams, in no particular order are; AOS Lavender & Rose, La Toja Regular & Sensitive and finally LEA Regular & Sensitive. I love the Scents, ease of lathering and the comfortable shaves I Always received when using these Creams, Finally my Face was left Moisturized, Soft and Silky feeling for many hours afterward. Honorable Mention goes to Arko Sensitive and Turkish Old Spice, both worked just as well as the others but didn't provide the level of silkiness or softness after-wards.

I know I always sing the Praises of QCS, but I didn't include this with my Creams since I treat this product as a Soft Soap, and would rate this as the Best Soap Find of the Past Year, IME. The two other Soaps I really enjoyed were the La Toja Stick, IMO it felt better than the soap in the Bowl, and Valobra Shave Stick, those two & QCS are the Soaps I continue to use in addition to my #1 Tabac.

I find that QCS is the best shave I've ever had, so I'm happy to hear you mention it. I don't think QCS gets the credit it deserves - it has tallow, lanolin, shea butter, and it all-natural. Can't beat it.

Scott

I find that QCS is the best shave I've ever had, so I'm happy to hear you mention it. I don't think QCS gets the credit it deserves - it has tallow, lanolin, shea butter, and it all-natural. Can't beat it.
Scott

If it wasn't good I wouldn't mention it so often, I've also noticed more threads in the Cream Forum, asking about QCS Scents, Performance & Experiences. There are many new creams I really Liked, but have limited it to the list found in my previous post, and it will always include Tabac & QCS.

I have only three in my rotation currently: Mama Bear's Ye Olde Barbershoppe soap, ToB's Eton College cream, and C.O. Bigelow cream. I noticed that I have been steadily using Mama Bear's soap with a face lather as my primary method in the morning. It cuts out the step of lathering in the bowl. I think all three do the job great, but I have noticed that I have been subconsciously more frugal minded as the soap seems to last much longer than creams. I have a difficult time deciding which is best on performance. I would have to go with Mama Bear's soap. Quick and easy to use. Less waste, great on the face and smells awesome!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Here is a short list of soaps that I find extremely effective for a BBS shave:

Cella: certainly my number 1 choice for a clean, close, comfortable shave, especially with my DE razors. I find it to be a clear winner under every aspect. I simply cannot ask any more to a soap.

RazoRock Linea Officina Artigiana soaps: Exactly the same considerations mentioned above for Cella, but available in many wonderful scents.

Martin de Candre: My all time favourite vegetable soaps and also my preferred soap with straights. It simply explodes in tons of thick, effective lather. I think this is the only expensive soap that will never leave my rotation.

La Toja: Super slick and great post shave feeling. Just superb.

RazoRock XXX: Another all-round winner. Fantastic performance and unique, amazing scent.

although i really like trumpers violet and taylors rose, id have to say at the moment when i want something that performs for me i go for the palmolive cream.

Tabac SS with Nancy Boy SC (either or both) produce great lather and good "feel" aftertwards. Al Raz's SC also.

Top Bottom