What's new

Your shave or cream choice based only on performance?

my go to is based on quality results.. Proraso
scent would be AOS cream Sandlewood, classic shaving cream lavander or just about anything from mama bear. unfortunately her soap does not work well for me :(

For me it's performance first, scent second - if it doesn't smell bad and it performs *great*, then it's in, price doesn't play a role in the least.

Roughly in order of performance (for me - soft water):
-MdC - just incredible in all respects of performance from cushion, glide, protection, closeness of shave, leaving face moisturized. Scent isn't my favorite, I don't mind it, still my absolute top soap. (Getting unscented in group buy)
-Provence Sante - Again, great in all respects of performance, again, scent isn't my favorite, despite the scent it's my #2 soap.
-EJ Sea Buckthorn - Great all-around, very slick, great scent.
-Pre de Provence - Again, great all-around performance, moisturizing, OK scent, not quite as close of a shave as the above.
-MWF - Performance is great for protection/moisture, not as close shaving as the above soaps.
-L'Occitane Cade - Great lather, closer shave than MWF, but leaves face a little drier, favorite scent. (Yes, in *my* rating scale, protection during and post-shave is more important than closeness.)
-La Toja stick - Great travel soap, nice plastic cap to keep it safe during travel, well-above average performance (as compared to many many other soaps I've tried), 2nd favorite fragrance-wise.

I have a few soaps I keep in occasional rotation more for the novelty (Because they were the best I could find from a given country/region) more than straight-out performance no particular order:
-Valobra stick - OK performance, clean *light* scent. Nothing to get excited about, but above average (Again above the average soap, not above average for what I've kept for myself.
-Speick stick - Same as Valobra, more drying that most, but comfortable during the shave. I must use moisturizer after Speick.
-Arko - Great lather, protection, about as drying as Speick, unique scent that I like. Definitely above average.
-Osma - I haven't quite got a handle on this one... *ALWAYS* a close comfortable shave, I actually *like* the scent, lathers well, but doesn't feel terribly slick, yet the shave that results from it is much better than it "should be" - (Kind of unique, earthy, machine shop smell - not a "pretty scent" by any means... I'm guessing raw shea butter scent.) I've been working through a sample of this one and think I'll add it to my Christmas wish-list
-Musago Real cream (my only cream except for the now defunct L'Occitane Cade cream that I'm using up to get rid of - nothing wrong with the L'Occitane, but not great enough to "stock up" on, but too good to give away... I won't miss it when it's gone.) I've been through a LOT of creams along with the soaps but this is the only cream I still have/use/would buy agian.

Top Bottom