What's new

Your rarest razor

Otherwise, probably my cased diplomat
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Revisiting this thread after some time.......razors come and razors go....such is life if you are afflicted with RAD.

Currently, my rarest razors are probably the following:

1) Gillette British Hybrid Tech, and

2) Gillette Toggle (new acquisition within the past month).

I had an iKon Modern, of which only 80-some-odd were made, but I sold it. I had an exquisitely rare Darwin that would only take proprietary blades, but I sold it.

Fun thread to resurrect. Let's keep it going!

user grade.jpg

The middle razor is my Wade and Butcher open comb Old Type clone. They take proprietary blades with square holes, although with a normal Old Type top cap they can take any DE blade (unless you modify a blade). It's a very smooth razor, and the handle is heavy and will probably chip tile if dropped on it. They're very cool if you ever come across one. And as a straight razor guy I can say I own a Wade and Butcher haha.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
There are a few of these out there in the wild, but still it's not one to see every day: The Merkur "Super Slant."

1661637345895.png

Shown for comparison with a pre-1970 37 slant.

This is one of four different models of the "Super Slant," a Long Screw SB. The name is in quotes because that's not Merkur's name for it; they would have used a separate number for each model. No records exist publicly, however, and the current owners of Merkur have no knowledge about these razors whatsoever.

The four models should be Long Screw SB (now we call it a "two piece" razor); Long Screw OC; Short Screw SB (we call that "three piece"); and Short Screw OC. Merkur also made them for a number of rebranders in the late '40s and early '50s.

O.H.

Kind of a trick question for me. as I have made a dozen completely different designs. ranging from 1 to as many as 26 produced. I will not include those. As for normal production goes. I will have to go with my 1930 Gillette President and my 1909 New Ever Ready SE.

I'm glad I was prompted to revisit this thread. Here is my @twhite 'Wanton Destruction' slant, inherited from @PLANofMAN :

FF23B5C9-3458-475A-94DA-3D29BAC39A0D.jpeg

My various slants wantonly destroyed by PLANofMAN are pretty darned rare as well, with a silver New Improved Tuckaway (already suffering some dental problems) ranked as the rarest.
E09C1750-8CCC-45FA-A5AB-5FBB02F34578.jpeg

Top Bottom