What's new

Your Feelings On Shorties

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I find it is much easier to get a really good transition on a GD mod when I go really deep into the heel and totally bypass the entire shoulder area. With a nice swoop profile at the throat, this makes for an edge that is only about 2.40" long. However, I find with a 2-3/4" to 3" edge, I don't use the whole thing, and any edge over 2.25" or so is quite long enough, as long as I don't go with a radical spike point. Plus it makes the shank nice and long so my fingers aren't crowded. What do you GD modders out there or you lovers of modded GDs think? I am thinking about making my next batch all "reverse shorties".

Personally, (although I have never owned, modded or used a GD of any kind), I think the idea of a Shorty would be absolutely great! Mainly due to the slight amount of crowding I get at the jaw hinge areas with my full length Straights. Granted I have adapted and get Great shaves with all of my Straights, I just think a Shorty would be much more efficient in that particular area on me. Unfortunately I do not have the know how or knowledge yet to make one myself. Perhaps one day I will. Until then I shall simply admire yours and all of the other GD Modders work here:thumbup1:

As far as the question for the batch...... I Say it sounds like a Great Idea!

Long shank shorties have great ergonomics IMO, though I don't know whether my opinion counts since I've never tried a modded GD :laugh:

I like it. I've had several that I've known or suspected were shortened. As long as it's not excessive, it's difficult to even notice.

"Your feelings on shorties:"

Other than that, I like the occasional shorty mod:

Attachments

• $shortybones tail.jpg
    $shortybones tail.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 67
  • $shorty2.jpg
    $shorty2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I made a Kamasori from a GD. It's an excellent shaver.

I been thinking about something similar, but using a more classic Japanese style profile. Like this:

proxy.php

Notice the abruptly squared nose and the long swoop to the heel. I think that would look very classy in a kamidollar.

Top Bottom