What's new

So, I tried a couple - few blades...

Good notes. Thanks.
Never let perfect get in the way of comfortable.
Biggest issue I still have with shaving is resisting over polishing. Entirely down to self-control. Can't blame my tools. :blush:
I think if I shaved after my shower, I would have graded a lot of blades a little higher. Plus, if I shaved maybe every other day I might like a lot of them better.
Be interesting to hear if they make any difference.

Good notes. Thanks.

Biggest issue I still have with shaving is resisting over polishing. Entirely down to self-control. Can't blame my tools. :blush:

Be interesting to hear if they make any difference.
That self control thing is a big deal.
That is why I limit myself to three passes. Also good to remember that after you shave and your stubble dries out, it will not stand so proud. Either way. It is only perfect for what, a few hours, max? That is not worth discomfort.

I started to shower post shave because I used to wear glasses. Foggy glasses and a foggy mirror make for poor visibility.
I no longer need glasses and our bathroom has great ventilation so, no fog. But, I hate having any kind of shave soap residue on my face. I cannot get it rinsed off well enough in the sink and I do not have time for a second shower (too cheap for the extra hot water as well).

A few in group "B" are a you describe the Shark. They start tuggy for me, but finish pretty decent, unlike most tuggy blades. Ultimately it is the comfort level post shave that dictates my opinion. I can endure moderately tuggy blades if the end result is good. With the exception of the Wizamet, all of group "A" feels very smooth through my stubble.
Wizamet would be a high "B" of not for its longevity and consistency.

I liked the Gillette Platinum much better than the GSB. I was surprised how much I disliked the GSB.

I mentioned in my last post that really sharp blades and Henson do not seem to get along for me. Kai is a little different. The blade may extend out slightly more. I think that " balance" may be there? I just do not want to work to find out when there is other low hanging fruit out there.

I like the tunable nature of all this.
On the first time going through all the blades I found it fascinating. Then on the second trip through... I found myself dreading some of the stinkers. It was worth it. I found new appreciation for some and changed my mind on others.

I am debating getting my (adult) son started on this with my old V.1 AL13 and one of my sampler packs. But, he is a lazy stoner and shaves every few weeks. I am afraid he will not put the work into finding his setup.
In the meantime I got him a Guard and some cartridges.
That is a dandy razor! I like my DE setup better, but if I had known about the Guard before...
The SI blades last a very long time. For me the only blade that last longer is the Gillette Rubie. I have one that I have been using for of least 20 Shaves. There is no evidence of discoloration, dulling or chipping.

Last edited:
The SI blades last a very long time. For me the only blade that last longer is the Gillette Rubie. I have one thy I have been using for of least 20 Shaves. There is no evidence of discoloration, dulling or chipping.
I agree about the Wizamet Super Iridium. It is one of my favorites. Pretty sharp and fairly smooth with exceptional longevity. I prefer the Wizamet Super Iridium over the Polsilver Super Iridium. If I had to choose just one blade to use for the rest of my life it would most likely be the Wizamet Super Iridium. YMMV

I agree about the Wizamet Super Iridium. It is one of my favorites. Pretty sharp and fairly smooth with exceptional longevity. I prefer the Wizamet Super Iridium over the Polsilver Super Iridium. If I had to choose just one blade to use for the rest of my life it would most likely be the Wizamet Super Iridium. YMMV
I got a little over zealous with stocking up on the Wizamets. I am sitting on 1000 (minus a couple tucks). Add a few hundred each of my other "A" group and I am not going to live long enough to make a dent in my stockpile.
I may need to sell off some Wizamets?

I got a little over zealous with stocking up on the Wizamets. I am sitting on 1000 (minus a couple tucks). Add a few hundred each of my other "A" group and I am not going to live long enough to make a dent in my stockpile.
I may need to sell off some Wizamets?
I must confess that I bought 750 Wizamet SI blades myself. No regrets. But I easily get a weeks worth of shaves from each blade so at 52 blades a year and at my current age of 61, it isn’t likely that I will use them all before I die. I have shared many with friends and other members so now I am closer to 600 blades left. I am going to be stingy with the rest so others reading this who want to try them should try the B&B blade exchange or email Wizashave and ask for a sample. Many members have received a sample tuck from them.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
A great shave is the perfect marriage of razor/blade/beard/face and technique. I'm glad you found yours. Mine are different, but I shave my face with my technique, so that's no big surprise.

I was shocked to see Med Preps rated in the lower group, but YMMV.

A great shave is the perfect marriage of razor/blade/beard/face and technique. I'm glad you found yours. Mine are different, but I shave my face with my technique, so that's no big surprise.

I was shocked to see Med Preps rated in the lower group, but YMMV.
"C" is actually not that bad.

The Feathers are probably the only "A" for me. They don't fail to cut when others do. The Wilkinson Sword is "B" and every Personna is "C".

musicman1951

I can absolutley understand that.
Med Prep is pretty good. I think my choice of razor may be the real breaker? They can be kind of screwy to source though.
The Lab Blue, not so much. Do not care for them.

The Feathers are probably the only "A" for me. They don't fail to cut when others do. The Wilkinson Sword is "B" and every Personna is "C".

I just do not get Feathers. I can live with them costing more than some others. They are all cheap compared to cart shaving.
It is the first shave being so rough. I feel like I am stropping them with my face. Now shaves 2 and 3 are actually pretty good. They still demand respect because they will cut you if you are careless. Then by shave 4 I find their performance has dropped off considerably.
Now, if shave 1 was as good as shaves 2 and 3? Feather would be a "B" for me. Even if it only had those 3 good shaves. I am happy enough with 3 good shaves out of a razor.

I'll just comment that the blade is part of a system. It's difficult to rate a blade in isolation from everything else. Your ratings seems pretty idiosyncratic to me, but you explained things very well.

You seem well-supplied with the Wizamet SI blades and that's a great choice in my book.
I agree, pretty idiosyncratic indeed. I only used one razor. I do not have time, money, or frankly interest in acquiring other razors and testing.
This is just for my face, with my technique, and a medium Henson.

I do have a few (maybe?) non-idiosyncratic take aways:

- I do not see the appeal of Feathers.
- Kai is an interesting blade.
- Strangelete is awful.
- Derby Extra (green tuck) is awful.

I also have a recommendation, of sorts.
The Wizamet has a pretty well known reputation and to a lesser degree the Parker. But, the other blades on my "A" list are not talked about much. I highly recommend trying:

- Dorco Titan
- Parker Premium Platinum
- Treet Trig Silver Edge
- Zorrik Super Platinum

I also will say that if anyone disagrees with any of my opinions? That does not make any of us wrong.

That is a lot of blades and shaves. I find it wildly interesting to read others experiences to compare to my own.

Regarding specific blades, I feel vindicated that someone else finds the Parker Premium blades to be excellent. They are reasonably priced, come in understated packaging, and don't have a catchy name, but they are a good shave. I just got 100.

The Gillette blade universe is very confusing for me. I doubt I could tell the difference from a PermaSharpEdgeNacet etc. but I put the SharpEdge and the Nacet in my "A" group.

The Feathers and Kai do not tickle me either.

Last edited:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I must confess that I bought 750 Wizamet SI blades myself. No regrets. But I easily get a weeks worth of shaves from each blade so at 52 blades a year and at my current age of 61, it isn’t likely that I will use them all before I die. I have shared many with friends and other members so now I am closer to 600 blades left. I am going to be stingy with the rest so others reading this who want to try them should try the B&B blade exchange or email Wizashave and ask for a sample. Many members have received a sample tuck from them.
I’m in the same boat at 73. Way too many blades. Remember to save one for that last shave by the undertaker. I’m in luck. The funeral home my family uses is owned by an Italian family.

Top Bottom