What's new

Your Favorite Tallow-Based Soap?

MWF, Harris Marlborough, and... well, not sure. Haven't tried AOS. Pricey. Is it worth it? It's just under twice the price of Harris.

MWF, Harris Marlborough, and... well, not sure. Haven't tried AOS. Pricey. Is it worth it? It's just under twice the price of Harris.

If you want to know how AOS performs, buy a valobra stick. AOS is made by valobra and really all you're paying for is the name and scent. Valobra smells more like soap with a small hint of almonds. I will say though that AOS sandalwood smells awesome!

Williams.

Seriously.

And not without reason! I am not so sure it is my #1 but it is a rising star in my den. Arko, EU-Palmolive, P.160 and Cella are in the top without question and Monsavon is interesting too. Tabac and IM are reliable too but certainly not the best. There is just too much to choose from.

As always I forgot to mention Speick....Shame on me!

And not without reason! I am not so sure it is my #1 but it is a rising star in my den. Arko, EU-Palmolive, P.160 and Cella are in the top without question and Monsavon is interesting too. Tabac and IM are reliable too but certainly not the best. There is just too much to choose from.

As always I forgot to mention Speick....Shame on me!

It is really hard to pick a favorite.

But where do you get the Williams soap? I do want to try it.

Yardley, AOS Sandalwood, Penhaligon's English Fern, and MWF. But Yardley is the best, by far. I only have two pucks and a shave stick of it, all of which I use quite often. It's scarce but I might as well enjoy it any chance I get.

Yardley, AOS Sandalwood, Penhaligon's English Fern, and MWF. But Yardley is the best, by far. I only have two pucks and a shave stick of it, all of which I use quite often. It's scarce but I might as well enjoy it any chance I get.

:001_huh:

I must have gotten a bad puck of Yardley... It was good, but no better than EF to me. In fact, I'd trade all day long Yardley for EF, given the chance due to scent :tongue_sm

at the moment DR Harris Arlington, i'm afraid MWF or/and Cella(oh divine scent of heaven:lol:) 'll throw it of it's throne when they get here though.

MWF, Tabac and AOS. There is a reason these soaps keep getting the best rating. You can't beat quality product. I have others in my collection but these are the three I have a hard time passing up.

:001_huh:

I must have gotten a bad puck of Yardley... It was good, but no better than EF to me. In fact, I'd trade all day long Yardley for EF, given the chance due to scent :tongue_sm

Nah, you didn't. People just have different tastes. Yardley is a Mediocre performer in my opinion. I don't even use the stuff. It made it into my "Not good enough for my face" pile (along with MWF and many of the others mentioned here) before I sold it off. I may have some scraps in a bowl somewhere here, but I think I sold it all. Definitely not getting used these days.

My favorite commercial soap is Tabac. It has scent (grows on you), so it bests Old Spice/Vintage Williams. It loads easier than... well anything. Even soft soaps like Cella don't load as easily as Tabac. And the lather quality is close to the best I've used with regards to what I look for in lather (see above).

There are Five soaps I still use despite making my own. Tabac, Moos, Kells Arabian Spice (Addicted to the scent, need to break it out once in awhile. I tried to copy it, but it's not near as good), Vintage Williams (Best Vintage I've used, and it's in a very handsome Currier and Ive's branded bowl), and a mystery Vintage (only soap that ever left my face feeling "oooo", like so many people get from MWF) I think it's Hershey's Cocoa Butter shave soap.

Last edited:
First of all there is Yardley SS then there is nothing for a long while and then Tabac, SIM and Palmolive.

Top Bottom