What's new

You guys are all nuts...

I was the same way. I started electric razors when I was 14. I used several different electrics for years. For the past 9 years, I have used the Gillette mach 3 and turbo varieties. I even tried the Fusion. They were better than electrics but caused me a lot of grief with irritations. I paid a fortune in replacement blade cartridges. All these years those "zits" on my face were not a reoccurance of puberty as I thought - but caused from my Mach 3. A co-worker mentioned "old school" shaving and I started the research process and I have been now using a DE razor for almost a month. Instead of shaving being a chore, I now look forward to shaving. My wife and co-workers look at me funny and laugh at me when I am sitting in front of the computer watching youtube videos on shaving equipment selection and techniques. Oh well, I love my Merkur 38C and will never go back to a Mach 3

Welcome aboard. I've been at this for a few months now. Straight shaving, DE shaving, different creams and what not. Its been great.
Oh and we are called Gentlemen not Metrosexual .Metrosexual are the ones you see in the nail shops getting manicures .

Enjoy the Ride.

Welcome gtStricky, you are among friendly nuts here :biggrin1:

Oh yes the AD's :001_smile
I'm lucky though, I skipped the SE part, so I'm only hooked on DE's, straights, soaps, creams, blades, brushes, scuttles, aftershaves... Hmm I hope I get to take all this stuff with me to the asylum :lol:

:a47::a47::a47: :a13:
What!?! What the? Uh... guh... Would somebody get this guy a 1912 Gem and a Pella, stat!?!

Don't worry. There's some people here that can help you. Everything will be ok...

B

bluefoxicy

"How could grown men obsess on their shave like this?"

No life, various mental conditions, etc. Everyone's sort of OCD here.

Even with all our sly remarks the money aspect of this form of shaving appealed to me. For less than $100 I could get some nice supplies and most would last long enough to get willed to my sons.

You could do that with a straight razor if you wanted, too ($118 including a finishing hone), but...

My wife left the bathroom laughing as I was swirling my foaming brush around my face. She ran back in about 10 minutes later when I screamed "YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME". No I did not slice open my face, I was amazed at the baby butt my face had become. It was the closest shave I have ever had in my life (no joke).

This wouldn't be your first shave :)

But yeah, that's what happens when you go from Electric to a DE or Straight razor. Well, not quite that fast with the straight razor. ;)

My wife would not let me have the other couple with us touch it, she thought that would be weird.

Your wife is a prude and needs to learn to have fun, what's the harm in bringing in another couple huh? :lol:

Hard to believe this was almost 14 years ago. I don’t post here so I thought I would update myself (and future generations). Kids are much older and so am I. Butchered my neck the other day with a terrible shave (grabbed the wrong razor). Looking for a new razor or two to try. A great shave still brings a smile on this old face.

Hard to believe this was almost 14 years ago. I don’t post here so I thought I would update myself (and future generations). Kids are much older and so am I. Butchered my neck the other day with a terrible shave (grabbed the wrong razor). Looking for a new razor or two to try. A great shave still brings a smile on this old face.
I read your first post in this thread from 2010 and I just ROFL. Yep you become weird like that and cannot stop feeling your face after a good shave. People must think we are really strange.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
gtStricky:
proxy.php
(yeah...I'm nuts too :letterk1:)
1706409811852-jpeg.1787011
Welcome back aboard the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom), so please feel free to come up to the promenade / sun deck & 'sit-a-spell'.
1707837405392.jpeg

Sounds like your off to a great start and on your way to shaving nirvana and The Zen of Shaving, and yes,...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, savoir faire, élan and all around 'know-how' to assist you in your Wet-Shaving experience.

Again...after 14yrs away (things were 'jus not the same witout ya'),...you're 'gonna' love it here.
:thumbsup:

Q. What other tools (brushes, but soaps, scents ect...), are you using
proxy.php

And please don't forget The 7 P's of Shaving...Prepare, Patience, Pressure, Practice, Persistence, Post shave and Passion.

Although, you may not be addicted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps), from this shaving compulsion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times...
"Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

Lastly, please don't forget once you get time....to tell us a little about yourself in the Hall-of-Fame sub-forum. 😉

shaving-smiley-png.805252
“One Razor, One Lather; One Shave at a Time”. CBJ

Last edited:

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
:001_tt2:

As a fatherless young man I never had proper instruction in the art of shaving. After years of disappointment in my shave I turned to the electric shaver in the mid 90's. The satisfactory and fast shave they provided lasted for a few years until my Norelco died. I then tried wet shaving again only to go back to the electric. A cycle that has lasted ever since. Over the past few months my current electric has been dying a slow death. Knowing the end was in site I started doing my research on current shaving trends. The prices of the new electrics that were getting good ratings were crazy, $150 - $200.

I have always been intrigued by the safety razor and brush method and started doing some reading (this here internet thing is great).

I came across this board and began my education. But... I must say... you all seemed a bit crazy. "How could grown men obsess on their shave like this?". I even pulled up the thread with the pictures of the shave dens and showed it to my wife. We laughed at how many look nicer than most women's make-up stations. I even needed to educate her on the term Metrosexual (she does not get out much).

Even with all our sly remarks the money aspect of this form of shaving appealed to me. For less than $100 I could get some nice supplies and most would last long enough to get willed to my sons.

So off to the web I went and per the recommendations here I bought a nice brush and razor, a puck of soap, and a sample pack of blades.

The razor was the last to arrive but finally on Sunday morning I was ready to go.

My wife left the bathroom laughing as I was swirling my foaming brush around my face. She ran back in about 10 minutes later when I screamed "YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME". No I did not slice open my face, I was amazed at the baby butt my face had become. It was the closest shave I have ever had in my life (no joke).

I made her and all three kids touch it over and over again. I sat in church rubbing my face instead of listening to the message. Even last night at dinner with some friends it still felt great. My wife would not let me have the other couple with us touch it, she thought that would be weird.

It is not as fast or easy as my 30 second electric razor shave but I AM A BELIEVER. You nut jobs have converted yet another to the finer appreciation of a great shave.
So, have you started building your den?

Welcome to the club.
I can relate in many ways. My wife thought I was nuts when I started buying razors/blades/soaps. Now she accepts it as part of my shaving sickness. :laugh:

The problem is when you read reviews of shaving products, once you read any review that is a positive one you will visualize the product, you'll dream about it, you'll taste the product, you feel the product till you buy it. And once you have it, you start to read MORE reviews. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Top Bottom