What's new

Yet another "First shave with straight" post

Well, bit the bullet today and started off with a Shavette and a Crystal.

I practiced a bit with the empty holder but can't seem to get a good feel using my left hand. The motion is completely different than a DE so it was both an odd and interesting experience.

Only a few, minor nicks, semi-marginal technique, a mild blade, no ATG strokes and still almost a BBS shave (save a few areas under the chin).

During the first few minutes of shaving, I began to wonder how I might ever learn to like this. By the end, I was already looking forward to more stubble tomorrow.

Anyhow, do people always learn to use their non-dominant hand?
Is it important to get a proper shave with the straight?

I'm going to stick with the right hand for now and work on technique and my comfort level.

More than once I started to use the mirror as my guide, instead of kinesthetic awareness, and started a stroke at ~ 70º - 90º (most nicks from this). I need to break that habit picked up from DE shaving.

Anyhow, I'm planning to use the Shavette until the Feather DX arrives (in the mail! :smile:) and start using that.
By the time the Tosuke gets here I will hopefully be comfortable enough with the straight to tempt fate.

The only thing I'm not really looking forward to is honing. I've had real hit or miss results sharping knives using a stone and don't want to ruin the Tosuke.

I can already see how SAD may easily be more problematic than RAD :wink:

Thanks again to the pros for posting their tips, tricks and sharing their experiences here.

Good going!! Everyone started somewhere. You do not have to learn to use your "off" hand. It works well for me and for some others, but you will find people who only use their dominate hand. It boils down to what works for you and you are comfortable with.

Stay with it and look forward to many good shaves!

congratulations,

I think it took me a few weeks before I was confident enough to shave using both hands, now I do it without thinking.

Oh regarding SRAD being addictive oh yeah and very very expensive :redface:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Congrats! How's it going now?

Oh, if you want to try non-dominant-hand shaving, try brushing your teeth with that hand first, to get it used to that kind of thing. (Sweeney Todd never hurt no one with a toothbrush!):w00t:

I only use one hand - it's not the general recommendation but it works for me. I think people are generally on a scale from completely monodextrous at one end to perfectly ambidextrous at the other. Unfortunately I'm very much at the monodextrous end of the scale and totally crap at anything delicate with my left hand - so I don't use it for shaving. It took a little while to work out how to shave with just the one hand but it's certainly possible.

Congratulations on your first shave with a straight! Shaving with a machined blade is an unforgiving experience compared to a human honed razor. That said, you may get a few more nicks than expected, but that shouldn't be a deterrent. I shaved for some time with a Merkur Futur (last DE I purchased) and Feather blades, both head and face.

Using both hands is a necessity for me as I could not reach spots on my head with using just my dominant hand. I learned from day 1 to switch hands sighting uncomfortable razor angles to my face using just one. Those are my experience's, I hope you enjoy the journey as much a I have so far.

Kind regards,

Top Bottom