What's new

Yesterday I shaved with a Mach3

It's been about a year and a half since I've used a modern Gillette. I wanted to remember what it was like, I just couldn't seem to.

I'm not one of those folks who switched to straights because of poor shaving performance from todays P&G razors or methods. I just wanted to switch because I thought it was badass and I don't like contributing to our global mentality of "use it once and throw it away".

Well, I had a couple of fresh blades in the bathroom so I decided to try it again, for old times sake.
My old routine for as long as I can remember shaving was a "1 ish" pass shave with a Gillette Mach3 in the shower with canned goop.

I wanted to compare my straight shaving experiences from the last 1.5 years to that old routine. Unfortunately I don't have any shaving gel anymore so I evened the odds a bit.

Prep:

Prep was a warm evening shower and soak as I always do. A nice thick bowl of Proraso lathered to near perfection.

The shave:

3 passes WTG, XTG, ATG... I think I'm done. I noticed my face was slimy from that green strip they put on the blades, it made my Proraso lather drippy and ooze off the razor.

The results:

Not bad. No irritation at all, I never remembered getting it in the past either. I spent about 15 minutes which is quite a lot of time for a cartridge razor. I would classify the results as a CCS, patches of near BBS but a lot of rough patches as well.

The main problem was that the razor is almost always clogged with lather and whiskers, so there after each pass lot of lather and that green gooey stuff left on the skin after a pass so I can't really tell if I got all of the hair or not until I'm completely rinsed and dried.

Either way, my face felt really good after but the shave results were sub par. I can't believe I walked around with this stubble all the time before. Am I going back? No! I just wanted to share.

Reading this post reminded me of shaving in the shower with my fusion just this past Spring. I recall getting miffed after every pass and all the canned goo that was built up in between the blades. I would turn around and rinse for a few moments, and do it again and again. Something I truly do not miss.

I am however tempted to see what results I get with my Fusion. It'll be interesting to see what the results are after switching over. But I am in no hurry to find out.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
after the sensor 2 blade, I had nothing but clogging problems with Gillettes. I kept an old toothbrush just to help clean out between passes. I don't miss carts at all.

You've given me flashbacks to days when stubble stuck in a cartridge would stab me like needles. Thanks! :lol:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I was a shower shaver, with a 3 week old cartridge no less...i dont miss anything...LOL.

I feel your pain. On the rare day I don't shave ATG, I feel like a dirtbag walking around with all the stubble.

I know right? If I can feel it with my hands I'm self conscious about it now... Look what BBS shaves have done to us!

I was a shower shaver, with a 3 week old cartridge no less...i dont miss anything...LOL.

Yeah, I'd use those cartridges till the bitter end.

What's wrong with being a "shower shaver"?! LOL
I grab my slant, hop in the shower, lather my goatee (yes, it holds lather very well) and get a great shave in no time. I use Kiss My Face cream when I shower because it lathers and rinses away easy.

If anyone is interested in a pure Johnny-Goat Brush, I can make one available every few months or so. I would say it's somewhere between boar and brillo. :letterk1:

Top Bottom