What's new

World Cup of Hockey - Team North America has won the hearts of fans!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
(
attachment.php
...what a finish...you'd have to see this to believe it (live coverage of all tournament games provided by ESPN in the United States, Sportsnet and TVA).
proxy.php

Defiantly the 'Play of the Day'! This is what we call a serious 'shake-and-bake' move! Man...that MacKinnon has 'hands as soft as butter'! :thumbsup:

Toronto - US Today Sports - Kevin Allen - 21 Sept 16

$World Cup of Hockey 2016.png"Swedish defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson is 29 years old, and yet he felt like a codger more than once when he was chasing after North American 23-and-under players Wednesday at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.

“I felt pretty old out there the first 10 minutes,” the Chicago Blackhawks defenseman said. “There’s a lot of speed on that team. It was fun to play against them. There’s a lot of young talent on that team.”

The North Americans proved themselves yet again when they downed the Swedes 4-3 on a crowd-pleasing overtime goal by
Nathan MacKinnon [beating 'King' Lundquist]!
proxy.php

While the North Americans (2-1) need a Finland regulation win against Russia on Thursday (3 p.m. ET, ESPN) to qualify for the semifinals, they have already been successful in winning over the hearts and minds of fans.

The NHL was heavily criticized when the [...] Team Europe and Team North America concepts were announced. Too gimmicky [What
proxy.php
It's great for the game], said their critics.

But the team of young stars, led by Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews and MacKinnon, has become the darlings of the tournament.

Fans love their speed, energy, creativity and spunk. Their win over Sweden was the most entertaining game of the tournament.

In the first minute, the North Americans produced a goal by Matthews, two breakaways and an unsuccessful penalty shot by Calgary Flames winger Johnny Gaudreau. Vincent Trocheck scored North America’s second goal at 1:35".

Read More: Team North Aamerica has won hearts of fans

proxy.php
“It's all about the game...because it’s the World Cup”!! CBJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Local interest in the World Cup has been high. Always good to see us do well, but my loyalties are divided, as I want to see my Canadian and Russian favorites do well, too. Ultimately, I am rooting for N. America. :001_smile

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd like to see them do a "leftovers" team ... whether Canadian or multi-national ... and basically once the official teams are selected, the guys who didn't get selected can be taken by the leftovers team ... and boy would they have something to prove.

I'd like to see them do a "leftovers" team ... whether Canadian or multi-national ... and basically once the official teams are selected, the guys who didn't get selected can be taken by the leftovers team ... and boy would they have something to prove.

I like that idea. They would certainly play hard. Watching Russia dominate Finland. Weird to see Malkin and Ovechkin in the same uniform.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hockey Fans:
Here is the rest of the schedule...!
proxy.php
;

Semifinals
(single elimination) Saturday, Sept. 24

Canada vs. Russia, 7 p.m., ESPN2

Sunday, Sept. 25

Sweden vs. Europe, 1 p.m., ESPN

Final (best-of-three series)

Tuesday, Sept. 27

Final Game 1, 8 p.m., ESPN

Thursday, Sept. 29

Final Game 2, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Saturday, Oct. 1

Final Game 3, 7 p.m., ESPN2 (if necessary)

Works Cited: World Cup of Hockey Schedule

attachment.php
“It's all about the game...because it’s the World Cup”!! CBJ

Watched Canada beat Russia 5-3. Tied 1-1 after one, 2-2 after two, and Canada poured it on in the third, going up 5-2 till Russia scored while swarming the net with about five seconds left. Crosby had a good game, and Malkin did well, so I'm happy. :001_smile

Top Bottom