What's new

Witch hazel another use

I switched to a healthier deoderant. No aluminum (I stopped using antiperspirant years ago), no parabens sls you get the idea. But it just doesn't work to my standards which was set by old spice. I felt clammy and funky within hrs. Now I use witch hazel that I poured into a spritzer and hit my underarms after shower before applying the deoderant. No more funk. I figure it sets the ph to levels where bacteria won't grow.
Ps the deoderant contains witch hazel as an ingredient to begin with.

witch hazel is great for lots of things.

Decreases itching, for sure. Mixed with aloe vera gel it is great for mosquito bites, mild skin irritations, etc.

I tried something this morning on a fluke. I don't have an alum block (yet). I has some very small weepers, almost pencil point size. Instead of hitting them all with a styptic pencil I put some WH in my palm and sirled the styptic pencil around in it until it turned into a milky substance. I then rubbed my hands together and applied it topically all over the weeper areas. It burned some but closed off all the weepers. I quick cold water rinse and dry and I was good to go.

I have fairly dry skin. Would this dry it out more? Same question about the Alum block?

I would be cautious with any styptic or alum treatment on sensitive or dry skin. The caustic/alkali properties can be harsh.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Witch hazel can be drying. I have the Thayer's with aloe. I suspect you could close small weepers with just the witch hazel.

I find it works great for controlling oily skin, i'll put the witch hazel on my face after getting out of the shower, then i apply moisturizer over it.

I've been using my Alum Block as my deodorant now for several weeks - it does a pretty decent job but sometimes it doesn't last. I am thinking of trying Witch Hazel with my Alum Block - should I use alcohol free or regular?

is there much of a difference between thayer's and just a regular bottle from cvs?

....besides the smell of course

It's different. Witchhazel from CVS is a extract, so it's 14% alcohol. Thayer's is not a traditional extracted witchhazel. They use some proprietary means of getting the witchhazel into the solution.

The properties of the witchhazel are generally the same, though. The cheap stuff does what witchhazel is supposed to do.

Top Bottom