What's new

Wilkinson Swords

I've become accustomed to Polsilvers and tried the Wilkinson sword today for first time. Not impressed with it. Thoughts welcome.

i use wilks in my shavettes but not in my DE's, never tried them in them come to think of it

Depends on which Wilkinson Sword.............

I don't like the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades from India and they don't like me (white & blue cardboard tuck)

I can tolerate the Wilkinson Sword Economie blades from Italy, but if I ever see them again in a shop, I'll just leave them there (blue plastic dispenser, yellow/blue cardboard label)

I like the German Wilkinson Sword blades, they're not the best blades, but they're consistent and far from being the worst (black plastic dispenser, white/black cardboard label)

I've become accustomed to Polsilvers and tried the Wilkinson sword today for first time. Not impressed with it. Thoughts welcome.

Depends on which Wilkinson Sword...

I've only tried the German variety. I found them to be a great all-around blade.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I don't like the current production Wilkinson that is made in Germany. Many many better blades out there. For lesser price too.

The Wilkinson Sword blade made in Germany with the black plastic and the white card insert is a good blade. I have no experience of any of the other Wilkinson Swords. It gets confusing because in India the Wilkinson Sword name is owned by Gillette. So if you buy these on Ebay you're probably getting a blade equivalent to the cheapest Indian stuff.
The black plastic carton Wilkinson Swords sell very well in Britain because they are stocked at larger branches of Boots, and Boots are number one on the High Street when it comes to personal grooming/pharmaceutical/health. They are often the only DE blade available to the mainstream, particularly if you live in the countryside. Which I don't.
Boots charge about double what they should be, by the way.

I have a few German & Indian Wilkies gifted to me by a great guy. I find them both good go to blades that are smooth & nick free for me.:thumbup1:

These are the ones you want, if you can find them.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 200 German Wilkies stocked up, and just recently ordered another 100. Should hold me for a while.
Needless to say, some may be better and many are worse, but these are my standard "go to" blade.

The German Wilkinson has become one of my favorite blades. Sharp & smooth. They are the 1st blade that I ordered 100 of.

I've tried the German and the made in England (not as old as the ones in the photo) Wilkinsons and found them to be sharp but not as smooth as my current favorite, the Personna Crystal.

This morning I popped a blade (German) for the first time into my 57 flare tip ended up with a bad shave I ended up nicking my self up in few spots and some redness from it and didn't end up close in spots don't known if I'll go back

Last edited:
These are the ones you want, if you can find them.

full

I find them occasionally. They really drive up auction prices in blade lots. Not P74 prices, but often a bit uncomfortably high for me. I do now hunt vintage blades exclusively, and these are among my absolute favorites. Ultra smooth and last an incredibly long time. Modern Wilkinson isn't even close, but at least the new ones are rather affordable.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only experience with Wilkinson Sword blades was with the pack that came with my WS Classic razor (black plastic, white label). They weren't as wickedly sharp as Feathers, but they provided perfectly acceptable three-pass shaves with cleanup and the edges stayed shaveable for at least a shave longer than Feathers. If Wilks were all that was available to me, I'd use them with no complaints.

I like the Indian ones. I'm glad a lot of people like the German ones, as the Indian ones are going away: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/467748-Time-to-stock-up-Indian-Gillette-Wilkinson-Sword.

Andy...I love the Indian Swords too, and I'm not convinced they're going away. If you look, that thread was posted over a year ago, and the Swords are still being made in India. Also, another person in the thread made an inquiry to Gillette India, and was told the Swords were not going out of production.

Just in case, though, I recently bought 1000...for $63! If you like them, they're the best bargain in shaving.

Top Bottom