What's new

Wilkinson Swords

I dislike plastic containers for blades. Lord knows there's enough plastic being wasted, and any long term DE shaver should have a dispenser of some kind IMO.

The blades are so-so in my view. Not bad, but i wouldn't buy again as there are much better options for me. Anything from St Petersburg for a start.

The German Wilkinson has become one of my favorite blades. Sharp & smooth.
They've turned me into a Wilkinson evangelist.
I like their sharp/smooth balance, find them very consistent from blade to blade and enjoy the clean blades (no glue dots). Even though they aren't $12 cheapies, they are a good value to me.

I use the Wilkinsons that are made in Germany. They work very well in Edwin Jagger DE89LBL. Just as good to me as Astra SP's, GSB's, Shark SC's, Personnas and many others in my rotation.

These are the ones you want, if you can find them.

full

I find them occasionally. They really drive up auction prices in blade lots. Not P74 prices, but often a bit uncomfortably high for me. I do now hunt vintage blades exclusively, and these are among my absolute favorites. Ultra smooth and last an incredibly long time. Modern Wilkinson isn't even close, but at least the new ones are rather affordable.

I have to agree. I've tried about thirty blades, and these are one of the two best I've ever tried; the other being Schick Super Stainless (also vintage). Personna 74s are excellent as well, and I prefer all three of the vintage blades to any modern blade, though Med Prep Personnas and Super Iridiums come close. I actually prefer the British Wilkinson Swords and the Schick Super Stainless to the Personna 74s.

I used one in my slant. Normally, I don't have to be too careful so here I go with wilkinson. Everything going good and I get to the part next to my nose that creases. Hit it with the blade....cut. Thought WOW that hurt. Went to the other side did the same stupid thing.

That was the last time I used a wilkinson.

I used one today in my DE89lbl and had a really nice shave. Five shaves so far and I'll probably toss it and move on to a new blade, not because it's getting dull, but I don't see the point in using a blade more than 5 times, regardless. Blades are cheap enough not to worry about number of shaves per blade. Back in the days of using Gillette Fusions and Mach 3's I'd push a cartridge beyond it's usefulness and I suffered enough razor burn to last me. I know I'm getting off subject here.

@HiPowerRon I agree. Sometime I remove a DE blade just because but I also push it. I normally always regret pushing it. I used to use carriages for up to one month with daily shaves. It's a difficult mindset to break. I am learning. I don't like weepers because I pushed a blade.

Anyone find the German Willkies classic to be kinda dull not as sharp as my person a Israel blades maybe I had a bad impression with a blade for the first time thought I got nicked up good using my superspeed

bright09, no I don't find the German Wilkies to be dull at all, just the opposite actually. I don't claim to be a blade expert, but I get just as good shaves with them as anything else, and I use Feathers, Personna Labs and Astra SPs to name a few.

I've tried the German Wilkinson Swords, and they were sharp and very smooth. They felt a lot like Red Personna IPs, which, in my mind, is high praise.

For me the German Wilkinson Sword is not as sharp compared to the English version, I am referring to "the blade" light brigades which is one of my favorite blades.
There is also the vintage Wilkinson Super Sword Stainless which is smooth but not sharp enough, then there's the Classic in white plastic container which I believe was the last version that was made in England.

It is just a little sharper compared to the German Wilkinson, they look identical to the current classic German Wilkinson except for the packaging and wrapper.

I paid $5 plus shipping for the 5 pack. It's not worth the price, I was curious cause it was made in England but it's nowhere close to the light brigades which I also prefer to the Personna 74 which I also find lacking in sharpness.

I find them in the upper middle class of the sharpness, but worst cut ever I had with them, did not stopped using them though.

@Jopete 5$ is too high, mueller sells them for that price, normally they can be bought for 1.3$ in every supermarket and i think that's normal price since white platinums are available for 2 kunas more and Petersburg blades are better

bright09, no I don't find the German Wilkies to be dull at all, just the opposite actually. I don't claim to be a blade expert, but I get just as good shaves with them as anything else, and I use Feathers, Personna Labs and Astra SPs to name a few.
Maybe I just had a bad blade, thought I have pretty crosse hair I was user it in my 57 flaretip. tho I don't know if I remember using them when I started started shaving 16 years ago and switching to carts to time when I was a kid

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I am really enjoying the shaves I am getting the Indian WS. Currently on the fourth day of 3 pass shaves. If this works out, there's no reason for me to get the cheap russian blades(Ladas, Rapira).

@Jopete 5$ is too high, mueller sells them for that price, normally they can be bought for 1.3$ in every supermarket and i think that's normal price since white platinums are available for 2 kunas more and Petersburg blades are better[/QUOTE]
Are you referring to the one's made in England? I thought they no longer make Wilkinson Swords in England and is now currently made in Germany.

I've tried the German and the made in England (not as old as the ones in the photo) Wilkinsons and found them to be sharp but not as smooth as my current favorite, the Personna Crystal.
I couldn't agree more.
I find the latest uk wilkies to be sharp but not smooth at all.

Top Bottom