What's new

Why only 1-5 razors?

Well, as one of the 1-5 razors people, I'll answer. I own just 4, 3 of which aren't seeing much use lately. I see the razor as not much more than a tool to hold a blade. I feel no desire to use a different razor every day, or every week. I've never caught the antiquing bug. I do enjoy the various pictures and posts others make on the many different vintage razors out there, but feel no aching need to have one, no Fatboy fever here:blush:. I've never experienced shaving with a razor made over 100 years ago, but am I really missing out?

I do see variations in razor design; closed comb, open comb, slant, 2 piece, 3 piece, adjustable, plus of course the large range of materials, fit, finish etc, but I see most of that as aesthetics. Now, before you click to reply and tell me how wrong I am, consider this; one less person scouring BST/eBay for that minty used vintage DE you want.:wink2:

Budget constraints for me. At this point I just plain can't afford to buy any more razors. I have 5, all of which are quite functional and cover all my shave needs. Being broke means I need to prioritize my purchases. Right now I need to buy a better brush or two. I have two right now. Both say Omega on them and together cost me less than $25.
I get a quality shave almost every morning, I enjoy shaving again, instead of it being a chore I just suffer through, like doing dishes. So while I'm forced to not have 100 or 50 razors, I'm content and happy with my little collection of whisker whackers.

I kinda wish I was in that 4-5 razor club, seeing how much money I would of saved. I think I solved my AD by getting almost all of them. Just waiting for the new Tradere slant and I promised myself that I'd stop.

Now, before you click to reply and tell me how wrong I am, consider this; one less person scouring BST/eBay for that minty used vintage DE you want.:wink2:
As I stated before, no judgement here. I appreciate the different approaches and realize this isn't as much a sport or hobby to some as it is to others. And yes, thank you for staying out of my bidding wars!

Well, I would love to have more than I do but there is such a thing as a limited income. I have been dreaming of these open comb TTOs, but I can't justify spending over $130 for a single razor when that's the value of all my other acquisitions combined. I might wish to dabble in this or that but I can't, that limit my choices drastically. As for antiquing that sounds more like a punishment than a joy. :nuke:
My collection has 8 razors 3 of which are used regularly.

1 is enough to get the job done.
5 is enough to have vastly different ways to get the job done.
but that's only if you're sane.
For those bitten by the bug, enough isn't limited by number as much as space and finances.

I try to keep a few favourites around, but haven't gotten into collecting, yet. I like and use all of mine, though.

I wont buy any I wont use....At present I have 5 but am looking to get rid of 1 but pick up another as soon as I can decide. I cant decide but do know I want one that shaves similar to the others I have. Dont want some antique 'cause I have better things to do instead of collecting DE razors.!

I wont buy any I wont use....At present I have 5 but am looking to get rid of 1 but pick up another as soon as I can decide. I cant decide but do know I want one that shaves similar to the others I have. Dont want some antique 'cause I have better things to do instead of collecting DE razors.!
Wow. That was snotty.

I have a dozen razors at home and another one at our Florida condo. I used to rotate though all of the razors pretty evenly, but over the past year or so, a handful clearly get used more than the others. While I've given away quite a few shaving items, I don't see myself selling any. If I did, I could get down to six razors ( NDC Superspeed, Fat-handled Tech, #15, Senator, Weber Bulldog ARC and Rocket HD), but would struggle to pare it down to less than that. Although any could serve as a tool that gives me a close and comfortable daily shave, there are unique qualities to each that make me appreciate the differences. If all I was looking for was a functional daily shaver, any number of cartridge razors could fill the role. I much prefer my approach of the last several years, where I actually enjoy my morning shave.

Mike

Last edited:
I only have one face... In all reality, I like a lot of things, but I'm also the kind of guy that likes to buy things once and keep it forever. A razor for me is something personal that I would like to keep with me until I'm old and worn out. That's why I was sad when my Futur bit the dust. I had that razor almost ten years, but alas it's time had come. So I moved to a Weber which I hope will serve its purpose for a lot longer. I also don't have travel razors or loads of different blades. But to each their own and I do appreciate all the pics!

I recently just got to the point where trying several brands fulfilled my needs. Thus far I have one razor that is consistent every time as long as I have the right blade paired with it. The items I have now, I'll keep for travel and to let friends borrow (good way to persuade them to join this team). Same goes for soaps. I'm down to what works well.

Actually, my EJ89 is my only razor. Eventually, I may get my birth year in a Gillette adjustable, but I just want to perfect my technique. And...I have more soap and blades than needed, got to draw the line somewhere, right?

I have 5 razors that I can put my hands on and possibly a few old Schicks and Gillettes that I stored away years ago but there are only two that get used regularly, a 37c and 34c.

If I could get rid of my Futur and Butterfly model I would. I had those before I got the Merkur 34C which is the standard starter model and it's all I use now. IMHO there is no reason to own more than one once you find one that works for you.

The short answer to the questions is... Not all members here are "collectors" or have the desire to have one of everything. For them (not me I must note) their shaving tools are just that, tools. You have what you need to get the job done and that is all. 1-5 razors certainly will get the job done and still provide some variety. I'm still under 10 so I wouldn't say I am a collector just a variety person.

Top Bottom