What's new

Why I won't be buying too expensive razors.

Let us know how it works for you.
I've been considering a Lord 6

I'm happy to report that the L6 is a fantastic razor! I haven't noticed any aggressiveness like @Lane101 did. The design of the head reminds me very much of the Merkur cc head. It's very easy to manoeuvre, also under the nose. I am impressed.

As for the build quality, let's call it utilitarian. The Lord L6 is one for the masses, made to be used. The head is chromed pot metal for sure, again very much like Merkur. The handle is aluminum and has very good grip. As @Lane101 says, there is always the risk of stripping threads, but any 3-piece razor has that potential problem.

It cost me just over 6 euro shipped and for that price, who cares if it breaks at some point in the future? Not me. With a little care I am sure this razor can last many, many years. I highly recommend this razor.

I am currently testing a bunch of under $10 razors (with blades) to give away (gateway drug) to friends to get them into wet shaving. They all are DFS without irritation out of the box with included razors. With practice, BBS should be achievable. SOme I would target to electric shavers, some to cartridge, some to disposables (electric and cartridge shavers tend to lots of pressure to get what we get by just letting it glide).

The razors are:
Bali Classic w/Bali blade blade exposure, tab exposure, kept expecting it to bite but it didn't, shave as so so
bulimica w/unknow blades (2 boxes of 5) looks way more than $10 and blades above average (I may add it to rotation)
Dorco PL602/ST300 blades - keep the blades toss the razor
Lord L6 / Lord Platinum - the only combination that drew blood but overall shave was good
Qshave short handle classic/Qshave blades - baldes better than expected, agile razor, DFS without thinking
Beauticone w/7 O'Clock yellow - second to the bulimica
Wangssolid adjustable w/TechnoMax blades - this is the one I will be giving away. The rollers protect you from too much pressure. Its adjustable so I can guide people up the learning curve. Everything stays attached so no losing cap or operator error with a TTO, A little heavy but has a really interesting coating that keeps it from getting to slick to handle. The blades (there are 10 in the box) are amazing. They remind me of the Dorco Primes and the Suneko blades. So far they I can only find them in bulk (as in pallets). I did track down they are manufactured by Kaili which only manufactures for other labels.

Anyway - if you just want a good shave at the least investment, you can do it for $10. All of these were purchased from the Big A.

Cheap Razors.jpg

This logic doesn't make sense to me. It's like not buying a nice car because you have been in an accident.

I haven't dropped a razor in 13y of wet shaving.

Don't drop your razors, problem solved.
I don't think I've ever dropped a razor, they're sharp. I'm in my 60s.
There are razors that just ask to be dropped, but that's a design flaw.

I am currently testing a bunch of under $10 razors (with blades) to give away (gateway drug) to friends to get them into wet shaving. They all are DFS without irritation out of the box with included razors. With practice, BBS should be achievable. SOme I would target to electric shavers, some to cartridge, some to disposables (electric and cartridge shavers tend to lots of pressure to get what we get by just letting it glide).

The razors are:
Bali Classic w/Bali blade blade exposure, tab exposure, kept expecting it to bite but it didn't, shave as so so
bulimica w/unknow blades (2 boxes of 5) looks way more than $10 and blades above average (I may add it to rotation)
Lord L6 / Lord Platinum - the only combination that drew blood but overall shave was good
Qshave short handle classic/Qshave blades - baldes better than expected, agile razor, DFS without thinking
Wangssolid adjustable w/TechnoMax blades - this is the one I will be giving away. The rollers protect you from too much pressure. Its adjustable so I can guide people up the learning curve. Everything stays attached so no losing cap or operator error with a TTO, A little heavy but has a really interesting coating that keeps it from getting to slick to handle. The blades (there are 10 in the box) are amazing. They remind me of the Dorco Primes and the Suneko blades. So far they I can only find them in bulk (as in pallets). I did track down they are manufactured by Kaili which only manufactures for other labels.

Anyway - if you just want a good shave at the least investment, you can do it for $10. All of these were purchased from the Big A.

View attachment 1807920
I am testing premium soaps, Proraso, and non-lathering soaps like Razor MD and Grooming Lounge to be sure they will work in a more familiar environment than those coming from cartridges and disposables.

The razors are:

View attachment 1807920
Speaking of cheap razors- Have you heard of a Zomchi?

I picked this up off eBay for $13 because I wanted the handle. I really like the handle design and how slim it is, and I assumed it would be aluminum given the price.
Planned to try it on some other razor heads.

It arrived today and it’s surprisingly nice quality. I think it’s actually steel, the weight is 3.35oz. Quite hefty feeling.

I don’t know if I’ll end up shaving with it as I only bought it for the handle, but it might be a good candidate for your cheap razor test if looking for some other options.

IMG_3817.jpeg

Top Bottom