What's new

Gillette British Hybrid Tech razor? Why so expensive?

Supply & Demand drives prices. Collector of rare collectible drive price up.

+1! Yes, indeed!!

The ‘good news’ is that despite the price, these are ’better value’ and far more reliable than the lovely British roadsters built during that period!! (So you are ‘saving’ $$!!) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My biggest regret in this hobby is buying - and then selling - various old OC Gillette razors in good condition for about £10-£15 in and out. In those early days I preferred milder razors. Now, I really wish I still had them in my collection, and picking up examples in a similar condition would probably cost circa £60 each today...difficult to justify when a Fatip is £18 brand new.

Incidentally, for anyone looking there's a rhodium aristocrat on the UK version of a famous auction site that's finishing in a few hours. Currently sat at £80 with no bids. Not sure if it's a rare version, but FWIW.
At present GBP to AUD is at aprox 52P so I just double the gbp price :( I have banned myself from buying from uk for now :( but i did look at the hAristocrat, normally i like that seller, but at aud .... errr yeuch
plating is flaking in one spot
seems there is trauma on one end of the doors?
the case is rat spit

A while back, when I got into this hobby, there weren't that many modern and cool DE razors and I was primarily ahaving with vintage razors and I've had the pleasure of shaving with most of the vintage Gillettes, except with the very rare ones like Bottom Dials, Serial/"Chrome" Toggles etc. but I've managed to get my hands on a Hybrid Tech, but I wasn't really that impressed with it.

Then again, I don't remember loving any of the Techs that I've used back then, but I did like the British and the US models and they were the last vintage raxors I've parted with.

Back on the Hybrid Tech, if you somehow manage to find one at a tempting price, I suggest you to keep it even if you don't like it that much.

Folks go crazy about it and you can almost always sell it for a bit more than you've paid. I sold mine for almost double of what I've paid and I wish I didn't sell it, because the prices now are much higher if I go by what people are selling them for.

Your best chance at finding one is to look after every Tech you see on the British and perhaps French Ebay and have a friend to ship it to you, because not all sellers are willing to ship it ouside their country of origin.

I’ve only seen one or two hybrids on the bay in the last few years and less than ten EFB online or in person. Pretty rare. I see the British Aristocrats a lot more often. Online that is.

My biggest regret in this hobby is buying - and then selling - various old OC Gillette razors in good condition for about £10-£15 in and out. In those early days I preferred milder razors. Now, I really wish I still had them in my collection, and picking up examples in a similar condition would probably cost circa £60 each today...difficult to justify when a Fatip is £18 brand new.

Incidentally, for anyone looking there's a rhodium aristocrat on the UK version of a famous auction site that's finishing in a few hours. Currently sat at £80 with no bids. Not sure if it's a rare version, but FWIW.
Doesn't ship to the USA per the "Auction Site". Also, the blades have to be removed because they are "dangerous goods"!

Let's see, I can buy a Lambsfoot pocket knife but, not a DE razor with a sampler pack of blades? 🤪

Why are the Gillette British Hybrid Tech razors so expensive? Is it just an issue of collectors driving the market up?

For $300, there are a lot of other good options out there. I have looked off and on for a British Aristocrat but, those are available in very limited numbers too and run into the hundreds of dollars as well. I think those Aristocrats sell so high due to limited numbers, the Rhodium finish, and collectors. Is this the same case for the Gillette British Hybrid Tech razors?

TIA,
Sid
A BBS-1 is a modern razor that Wolfman could make more of tomorrow. Recently one went for $2,000. Where's the madness for a rhodium version of the beloved Fat handle Tech with a more premium flat bottom baseplate? It's actually an antique, rare, and never to be made again.
I listed and sold a gorgeous cased example here maybe a year ago for $525 in a day when I came across another one...for exactly what I paid for it. Even though frankly I thought I was being kind, I obviously got lower offers...but for the new owner that bought it :) . I'd bet not one person that passed on that one doesn't wish that they didn't.
The Krumholz collectors guide published in 1999 values a mint complete toggle at $75...I didn't need the money and still have second thoughts about Whereas I let it go so early.

Doesn't ship to the USA per the "Auction Site". Also, the blades have to be removed because they are "dangerous goods"!

Let's see, I can buy a Lambsfoot pocket knife but, not a DE razor with a sampler pack of blades? 🤪
Blades... dangerous goods.... mildly....... RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok ... a blade can cut you real good, cut blood artery gush spert, .... it is "dangerous" in the sense that it can do you damage
BUT !!!!
it won't leak, nor blow up, nor corrode nuffink, not give off toxic fumes, not wander round a plane or nor kill anyone in a cargo hold or cause catastrophic failure endangering 264 lives.
Aerosols .. acids.... strong bases.... gunpowder.... flammable liquids... C4... [ok that one is too far] .... are dangerous goods
A grizzlee bare in a cage is a dangerous goods [now i'm being ridiculous]

Some of this Rubbish kicked off with the UK govt ruling re:- not selling sharp objects to miners? ........minors ! [ya wally]
and auction sites had to conform to uk law in uk and for uk citizens.
Numpty Noo's then think a blade is 'dangerous' they are the ''dangerous goods'' and then the whole shebang gets twisted out of reality and round n round n round it goes in the wool cycle getting hotter and hotter till your jumper shrinks and your head explodes putting it on! Whereas if you hand wash your jumper in softly, all will be good.

I just wanted to say it, its bugged me for ages, no personal sledge intended. :D

I’ve had an item confiscated by eBay shipping from what we suspected were the blades regarding a UK to USA transaction. There’s a lot of fine print to read that’s very interpretive, but sadly it is there.

Some people decided sharp things are dangerous.

Well, that particular seller might not, but maybe someone who doesn't live the USA would be interested. I know at least one non-US member that is after a rhodium aristcrat at the moment.

The thing about blades is unique to eBay UK as far as I know, and it's probably an over-zealous interpretation of their legal obligations, since I can still buy blades from any number of shaving suppliers. It doesn't really make sense.

We have had an upswing of knife crime in the past few years, and a handful of murders amongst inner-city kids. As a result, there has been a clamp down on the sale of sharp objects to under-18s. I guess it's easier to enact some poorly framed legislation that also impacts the trade in relatively harmless bladed items, than it is to actual apply money and resources to the root causes of the problem.

That said, the legislation has effectively reduced the ease of access to knives amongst kids (many smaller shops stopped selling single knives rather than risk getting caught selling to minors by mistake) and as far as I know it has had almost no impact on anyone else except folks who specifically want to purchase razor blades on eBay. If it means fewer kids getting stabbed, it's a pretty small price to pay. If you want a set of kitchen knives, you can still buy it from any large homewares store, but "convenience store knives" that kids could easily acquire are no longer a thing.

The thing about blades is unique to eBay UK as far as I know, and it's probably an over-zealous interpretation of their legal obligations, since I can still buy blades from any number of shaving suppliers. It doesn't really make sense.
It does make sense in a senseless way?

The law applies to Joe Blogs, you, me and Sally Wong as private sellers on an unknown pier to unknown pier basis via that medium.

I can still buy blades from "Known" dealers from UK, via that medium. 💩

It does make sense in a senseless way?

I don't think it makes sense in any kind of way.

You can still buy DE blades on Amazon, or from any number of online sellers (who previously also had eBay listings) without having to go through any kind of age verification or specific shipping procedures.

Want to buy a straight razor on eBay? No problem!

So, I think this is eBay being over-zealous more than anything else. Some people expected that DE blade listings would reappear once they realised their ban was unecessary, but it hasn't happened yet.

It makes sense to me,
amazon is a "company"
ABC Razor co is a "company"
as such a company is allowed to sell me, Wombat ESQ, a blade
any ''company'' registered "company" with ebray as a ''company'' or ''commercial'' seller is allowed sell me a blade
no unregistered UK individual is allowed sell me a blade, conforming to UK law

It relates directly to the law of the UK only, yes there is lots of bovine excrement in the written law to wade through, I did it once, I'm not doing it again, there is hours of reading and trying to find the answer i found, and was happy understanding the flow on effect that i was puzzled about as to why ebray says i cant buy blades from UK

That UK law sounds similar to what we have on our side of the Atlantic. Instead of fixing a problem, "let's do something that feels good and doesn't fix the problem".

If kids can't use a knife, they will use a club. If they can't use a club, they will use a rock. ...

An inanimate object isn't the problem, the intent of the person using it is!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Last year, I found a Flat Bottom Tech and a Raised Flat Bottom NEW in just a couple days... one on eBay, the other on Etsy. I had them both replated.... they were in the #77 Bakelite boxes and had Bakelite blade holders. They were very nice, but I ended up selling them to fund my Wolfman WR2 before I even used them after Chris finished his brilliant work.

That was the end of my desire to find or use Vintage razors. I still have the lovely gift from @luvmysuper : a 1953 Y2 Super Speed... my birth year and quarter. I might end up having Chris @ Back Roads Gold replating it eventually. I do have a couple classics: the Progress/Mergress razors in both handle lengths and a Merkur 37C.

I enjoyed this thread more when it was on point.
IMG_3067.png

Hey OP you want to know an unpopular opinion? Years back I had a hybrid and could not tell the difference between that and my pre war Canadian tech. I did several side by sides. Anyone that tells you otherwise is arguing semantics.
I have a few Techs, including a US pre-war and a Hybrid. To me they all shave exactly the same except the Hybrid, which I find ever so slightly milder (less aggressive) than all the others; it always leaves slightly more stubble on my neck. The difference is so tiny that you'd notice a similar difference with different blades in the same razor. I like a more aggressive razor, so I prefer my EFB Techs (of which I have three). Hybrids are so expensive because they are rare and because people hype them up to be something special.

20220805_153338.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (8).jpg

Last edited:
I have a few Techs, including a US pre-war and a Hybrid. To me they all shave exactly the same except the Hybrid, which I find ever so slightly milder (less aggressive) than all the others; it always leaves slightly more stubble on my neck. The difference is so tiny that you'd notice a similar difference with different blades in the same razor. I like a more aggressive razor, so I prefer my EFB Techs (of which I have three). Hybrids are so expensive because they are rare and because people hype them up to be something special.

View attachment 1762861View attachment 1762862View attachment 1762864
Im glad it wasn’t just me that thought it was better off sold and in someone else’s den who may appreciate it more. I used to use exclusively techs years ago and my favorite was the Canadian version. But they’re all good and have minuscule changes.

I enjoyed this thread more when it was on point.
I'll invite you over for coffee, I'll serve you either rubbish or the finest you have ever tasted, and we can talk hybrid tech for 4 hours, not wavering from hybrid tech, you are not even allowed to ask/mention/or say anything about the coffee, we are to discuss only hybrid tech, you are not allowed ask for a cookie/biscuit I will supply them at my own will, we are to only discuss hybrid tech.

Love ya work, man. :D

Top Bottom