17/365
Thursday - 25 April 2024

Razor: Henson AL13+ (3)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated (3)
Brush: Simpson T3
Pre: Warm shower
Lather: TOBS Jermyn Street

Result: 9/10

Still recuperating from my previous shave, I could not believe that Hanson AL13+ mild butchered my face.
Eager to know what went wrong, I still decided to shave.
I have to toughen up. Be a man of focus, commitment and sheer will (The Boogeyman) :lol:

Thanks to the many advise here in B&B, you guys are the best and a few research I got a hint of what to do.

Looking at the Henson's FAQ it was pretty much explained, like they expected it to happen for newbie's like me.
No wonder I felt the extreme blade exposure and like plate R6 aggressiveness on my Rockwell 6S.

Links and video below. At 1:05 you can see them emphasizing, turning it a couple more until you cannot go any further.

Make sure you fully close the razor by tightening the handle until it stops.

IMG_8735.png

So the culprit of my irritated shave last time was basically my own fear of over tightening.
It has nothing to do with either the Henson AL13+ or the Personna blade.
Maybe same thing will happen to some new Henson AL13 users like me.
I hope they won't experience it but if they do, hopefully this will help and guide them.

Shave today was a retribution and a very happy irritation free DFS.

Have a good shave everyone !!!

IMG_8733.jpeg

Last edited:
17/365
Thursday - 25 April 2024

Still recuperating from my previous shave, I could not believe that Hanson AL13+ mild butchered my face.
I have to toughen up. Be a man of focus, commitment and sheer will (The Boogeyman) :lol:

Thanks to the many advise here in B&B, you guys are the best and a few research I got a hint of what to do.

Looking at the Henson's FAQ it was pretty much explained, like they expected it to happen for newbie's like me.
No wonder I felt the extreme blade exposure and like plate R6 aggressiveness on my Rockwell 6S.

Links and video below. At 1:05 you can see them emphasizing, turning it a couple more until you cannot go any further.

View attachment 1835473

So the culprit of my irritated shave last time was basically my own fear of over tightening.
I hope they won't experience it but if they do, hopefully this will help and guide them.

View attachment 1835476
I am so happy that you figured out what was going on. Good riddance!

17/365
Thursday - 25 April 2024

View attachment 1835473

View attachment 1835476
This makes sense, a month or so ago I had a rough shave with my Gillette Adjustable, and on the second to last pass I felt the blade rattle when setting it down, yep I did not fully tighten the razor. DOH, it happens to all of us and is all part of the learning process.

18/365
Friday - 26 April 2024

Razor: Henson AL13+ (4)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated (4)
Pre: Proraso Red
Lather: Proraso Red

This is getting so addictive. I am running out of facial hair to shave.

Took a nice warm shower, look at myself and saw 5 o’clock shadow.
You guess it right, let do it.

It felt good to shave two consecutive days. I enjoy it anyways. However just my own personal assessment, AL13+ is a good daily workhorse but do not shave as close as my 6S.

Despite multiple passes and buffing yesterday, I can see 5 o’clock shadow less than 24 hours after I shave.

This is far from my 6S which happens only after 36 to 48 hours. AL13+ sure gives smooth irritation free shave but in exchange of its efficiency.

Overall its a nice, enjoyable shave.

IMG_8744.jpeg

18/365
Friday - 26 April 2024

Razor: Henson AL13+ (4)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated (4)
Pre: Proraso Red
Lather: Proraso Red

This is getting so addictive. I am running out of facial hair to shave.

Took a nice warm shower, look at myself and saw 5 o’clock shadow.
You guess it right, let do it.

It felt good to shave two consecutive days. I enjoy it anyways. However just my own personal assessment, AL13+ is a good daily workhorse but do not shave as close as my 6S.

Despite multiple passes and buffing yesterday, I can see 5 o’clock shadow less than 24 hours after I shave.

This is far from my 6S which happens only after 36 to 48 hours. AL13+ sure gives smooth irritation free shave but in exchange of its efficiency.

Overall its a nice, enjoyable shave.

View attachment 1836003
I see there is a benefit in the AL13+ not quite shaving you as close as the 6S. YOU GET TO SHAVE MORE OFTEN! 🤣 Also having no irritation is a big benefit.

19/365
Sunday - 28 April 2024

Razor: Henson AL13++ Medium (1)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated (1)
Pre: Proraso Green
Lather: Proraso Green

Result: 10/10

Today is an exciting shave, added a new acquisition into my den.
Curiosity strikes again so got myself a Jet Black Henson AL13++ Medium in addition to my Aircraft Aluminum AL13+ Mild.

"I call them my Light and Dark Sabers".

I was expecting a huge increase in aggressiveness but it's only a notch up.
If I were to compare it with Rockwell 6S, AL13+ would be plate 1.5 and AL13++ would be plate 3.
This of course is my own personal assessment and a case of YMMV.
Maybe it will perform different if I use a sharper blade.

Overall it's another satisfying, irritation free close shave.
I will take that anytime of the day.

IMG_8757.jpeg
IMG_8771.jpeg

Last edited:
Lol, a belated welcome to B&B and a few notes.

DE blades should last you about as long as the cartridges you used to use, so if you got a dozen shaves on a cart you should be getting close to that on a DE blade.

The angle you hold the razor has a very great deal to do with how the blade shaves you -- cartridges control the angle for you, for better or worse, but with a DE razor YOU have to set the angle. Too shallow (handle too close to your face) and the edge of the blade will not be sliding on the skin, resulting it excessive pulling and stubble, too steep (handle too far away from your face) and you will scrape the skin and drag the edge at a poor cutting angle through the hairs, resulting in excessive pull and irritation. For each razor and blade combination you will find a handle angle that gives the least "pulling" sensation and that angle will give you the cleanest and least irritating shave.

DE blades are teflon (PTFE) coated to make them feel sharper due to less drag as the hair is actually cut. This wears off in a few shaves while the actual edge is probably unchanged. You get more pulling sensation, but it will not change until the blade actually dulls. I find that eventually while I have very smooth and comfortable shaves, the blade just won't cut enough to give me a lasting shave, and that's when I toss the blade. Occasionally I'll find one that is miserable and pulls too much, but I suspect technique and not blade. I'm getting an average of 68 shaves per blade, with better blades all well over 100 shaves. The blades you've bought would last me more than a century, I only use two or three Personna Comfort Coated blades a year.

Poor technique (improper angle mostly) results in excessive blade wear, particularly "scraping" the blade over you skin. Chips the edge. Once you get good angle control you blades with last longer as you get more comfortable shaves.

I have shaved ATG exclusively since 1975 except when trying out straight razors. WTG simply puts points on my stubble as everywhere but my chin the hair grows out almost parallel to the skin.

A single standard size soap will last me several months, up to six. I use very thin lather (best shaves are when it's so wet it drips off the razor) -- soap is only there to lubricate your skin so the edge slips over rather than abrading. Slick is all that counts as far as I'm concerned. I put left over lather back on the soap, no need to waste any. It will lather up just fine the next day.

Concentrate on shaving angle and direction, and I suspect you will find that you get smoother and less irritating shaves as time goes on. Have fun with it!

Lol, a belated welcome to B&B and a few notes.

DE blades should last you about as long as the cartridges you used to use, so if you got a dozen shaves on a cart you should be getting close to that on a DE blade.

The angle you hold the razor has a very great deal to do with how the blade shaves you -- cartridges control the angle for you, for better or worse, but with a DE razor YOU have to set the angle. Too shallow (handle too close to your face) and the edge of the blade will not be sliding on the skin, resulting it excessive pulling and stubble, too steep (handle too far away from your face) and you will scrape the skin and drag the edge at a poor cutting angle through the hairs, resulting in excessive pull and irritation. For each razor and blade combination you will find a handle angle that gives the least "pulling" sensation and that angle will give you the cleanest and least irritating shave.

DE blades are teflon (PTFE) coated to make them feel sharper due to less drag as the hair is actually cut. This wears off in a few shaves while the actual edge is probably unchanged. You get more pulling sensation, but it will not change until the blade actually dulls. I find that eventually while I have very smooth and comfortable shaves, the blade just won't cut enough to give me a lasting shave, and that's when I toss the blade. Occasionally I'll find one that is miserable and pulls too much, but I suspect technique and not blade. I'm getting an average of 68 shaves per blade, with better blades all well over 100 shaves. The blades you've bought would last me more than a century, I only use two or three Personna Comfort Coated blades a year.

Poor technique (improper angle mostly) results in excessive blade wear, particularly "scraping" the blade over you skin. Chips the edge. Once you get good angle control you blades with last longer as you get more comfortable shaves.

I have shaved ATG exclusively since 1975 except when trying out straight razors. WTG simply puts points on my stubble as everywhere but my chin the hair grows out almost parallel to the skin.

A single standard size soap will last me several months, up to six. I use very thin lather (best shaves are when it's so wet it drips off the razor) -- soap is only there to lubricate your skin so the edge slips over rather than abrading. Slick is all that counts as far as I'm concerned. I put left over lather back on the soap, no need to waste any. It will lather up just fine the next day.

Concentrate on shaving angle and direction, and I suspect you will find that you get smoother and less irritating shaves as time goes on. Have fun with it!

Thanks for the warm welcome and appreciate your words of wisdom. Always grateful to get detailed tips from a seasoned veteran.

Glad to meet another ATG shaver.

20/365

SOTD: 29/04/2024

Razor: Henson AL13 Medium (2)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated, (2)
Brush: Parker Badger
Soap: Chiseled Face Cedar & Spice
Aftershave: Clubman Musk
Additional Care: Thayers Rose Petal

- Shared from My Shave Den for iOS

Just want to share this shave report log from apps which is awesome.

Basically a journal right in your finger tips. No need to write everything repeatedly. Just a click of a button in your every shave.

It can even generate statistics of every hardware / software in your den. Photos included although it’s s just a crop of images.

Thanks to @Jaybyrd for sharing this app. Makes shaving hobby a lot better.

Another pleasant comfortable close shave.

Happy shaving everyone !!!

IMG_8829.jpeg

20/365

SOTD: 29/04/2024

Razor: Henson AL13 Medium (2)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated, (2)
Soap: Chiseled Face Cedar & Spice
Aftershave: Clubman Musk

Just want to share this shave report log from apps which is awesome.

Basically a journal right in your finger tips. No need to write everything repeatedly. Just a click of a button in your every shave.

It can even generate statistics of every hardware / software in your den. Photos included although it’s s just a crop of images.

Thanks to @Jaybyrd for sharing this app. Makes shaving hobby a lot better.

Another pleasant comfortable close shave.

Happy shaving everyone !!!

View attachment 1838143
Love this! Glad it’s working for you and I like how you got all the images like that!

21/365

SOTD: 01/05/2024

Razor: Rockwell 6S R2 (15)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated, 1st use
Bowl: Bicrops Black Bowl
Soap: Chiseled Face Cedar & Spice Croap
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Aftershave
Balm: Nivea Soothing Balm

Today’s shave was a bit emotional.

I was looking at my den and my buddy Rockwell winks and was like telling me why don’t you take me out for a shave and probably a drink after?

So took him out and load a fresh personna blade. It’s a good opportunity to compare it with my Henson AL13 mild & medium anyways. Set to R2 plate just to be fair in level of aggressiveness.

Wow I was silenced, reminded how good and why I chose Rockwell as my 1st DE razor. It was very efficient and irritation free.

I don’t even have to use higher plates to achieve a very satisfying BBS shave.

I’m not sure, maybe I’m just used to Rockwell because I shave with it a lot more than Henson. Whatever the reason is, I am glad it was my 1st razor. Definitely a keeper and will always have its own special spot on my den.

And as promise with my good old buddy Rockwell a drink after the shave which I am currently enjoying.

Cheers, Happy shaving everyone !!!

IMG_8841.jpeg

21/365

SOTD: 01/05/2024

Razor: Rockwell 6S R2 (15)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated, 1st use
Bowl: Bicrops Black Bowl
Soap: Chiseled Face Cedar & Spice Croap
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Aftershave
Balm: Nivea Soothing Balm

Today’s shave was a bit emotional.

I was looking at my den and my buddy Rockwell winks and was like telling me why don’t you take me out for a shave and probably a drink after?

So took him out and load a fresh personna blade. It’s a good opportunity to compare it with my Henson AL13 mild & medium anyways. Set to R2 plate just to be fair in level of aggressiveness.

Wow I was silenced, reminded how good and why I chose Rockwell as my 1st DE razor. It was very efficient and irritation free.

I don’t even have to use higher plates to achieve a very satisfying BBS shave.

I’m not sure, maybe I’m just used to Rockwell because I shave with it a lot more than Henson. Whatever the reason is, I am glad it was my 1st razor. Definitely a keeper and will always have its own special spot on my den.

And as promise with my good old buddy Rockwell a drink after the shave which I am currently enjoying.

Cheers, Happy shaving everyone !!!

View attachment 1838964
As you noticed by going back to the Rockwell and R2 plate at that is that as you grow in your technique and skill you can use milder razors and still get great shaves. That was a big discovery for me. My first razor was a KCG and that is one of the mildest razors that I have used. I wrote it off as a razor I could not use and about 1.5 month ago I picked it up and now I get wonderful shaves with it. I was about to dump it from my den, but that changed it for me. As your skill increases you will be able to handle more and more diverse razors with more ease from the mildest to the most aggressive.

As you noticed by going back to the Rockwell and R2 plate at that is that as you grow in your technique and skill you can use milder razors and still get great shaves. That was a big discovery for me. My first razor was a KCG and that is one of the mildest razors that I have used. I wrote it off as a razor I could not use and about 1.5 month ago I picked it up and now I get wonderful shaves with it. I was about to dump it from my den, but that changed it for me. As your skill increases you will be able to handle more and more diverse razors with more ease from the mildest to the most aggressive.

Agree to that. I fancy and get curious over these shinny great designed razors. I’m new to this hobby and not sure if I could even tell the difference.

But sometimes I think it all boils down to my skill and technique. Its like this tool you get used to that you can do great things even your eyes were close.

Top Bottom