What's new

When using creams with a small smooth-bottom stainless steel bowl

I can‘t and it’s a bit of a pain to get a usable lather at all.

I regularly use a CC cooper bowl but also spent a month with an empty Proraso tub.

FE08DBE0-FB0C-4631-B44D-3E6C314E3142.jpeg

F8245CEC-A3A8-44A2-BE2A-7F07B74A93D2.jpeg

You really need some sort of roughness to generate the friction to create good lather. My travel bowl has a rough surface, not ribs, and it works well.

can you get the same good lather as you can with a ribbed ceramic bowl? Any noticeable difference?
YES you can - or at least I can.
You don't need ridges when using cream or croap.

The only reason I use a bowl with ridges is to hold soap that has been scooped or needs to be pressed in.
Even then, hard soaps can easily be smooshed into a smooth bowl between the bottom and wall.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I use these bowls extensively

I just use a smooth glass soup bowl, it works great and I have been using it for years! I keep thinking I should try an actual made for shaving bowl but don't really need it. Thankfully I have a big counter in my bathroom so no issues with it falling and breaking yet.🤞 :07:

can you get the same good lather as you can with a ribbed ceramic bowl? Any noticeable difference?
I've never noticed a difference between smooth and textured bowls for lathering. I started with an old margarine container, went to a smooth stainless steel bowl and then on to bowls from Timeless and CC.

My wife now uses the steel bowl as a candy dish, the Timeless works great, and the CC just feels like more of a luxury item. But I get the same quality of lather from all of them.

For me, a smooth bowl takes about five times longer to make enough lather. I tried the trick of gluing coins to a smooth bowl and it did seem work. There's some disagreement about this though, so you might try taping them on first.

The Timeless bowl that @lancre mentioned is as big as a flowerpot and ugly as it can be, but good Lord it generates lather.

For me, a smooth bowl takes about five times longer to make enough lather. I tried the trick of gluing coins to a smooth bowl and it did seem work. There's some disagreement about this though, so you might try taping them on first.

The Timeless bowl that @lancre mentioned is as big as a flowerpot and ugly as it can be, but good Lord it generates lather.

Ugly as sin, but it works great and has survived multiple drops to my shower floor!

Ridges can speed up the process, but you can use a smooth surface, too.

Divide your cream in half. Put half into the center of the soaked brush knot before you start. Smear the other half across the bottom of the bowl. Try moving the brush in a combo of back-and-forth and small elliptical shapes. Don't just orbit the inner diameter of the bowl.

I use an elliptical motion with the brush, while I rotate the bowl in my other hand

I mean it’s roughly 20 seconds here (3:10) before I would take to my face and finish building.

YES you can - or at least I can.
You don't need ridges when using cream or croap.

The only reason I use a bowl with ridges is to hold soap that has been scooped or needs to be pressed in.
Even then, hard soaps can easily be smooshed into a smooth bowl between the bottom and wall.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I use these bowls extensively
I just use a smooth glass soup bowl, it works great and I have been using it for years! I keep thinking I should try an actual made for shaving bowl but don't really need it. Thankfully I have a big counter in my bathroom so no issues with it falling and breaking yet.🤞 :07:
Ridged is faster, but I get better consistency with smooth. Shinier, low structure lather.

I use a insulated steel bowls for lathering. Keeps lather warm too!
I used a SS 6" mixing bowl today and it worked as well as my ceramic bowl. Guess I'll buy the stainless.

Ridged is faster, but I get better consistency with smooth. Shinier, low structure lather.

I use a insulated steel bowls for lathering. Keeps lather warm too!
Exactly! Used it today. It's the Akstore on Amazon for $5.99. Like it better than my ceramic Fine with the ridges. Lathers quickly, better lather and cleans up in half the time. Fits perfectly in the hand too.
Akstore SS bowl.jpg

I use a smooth stainless bowl most of the summer/hot season and a GT scuttle during winter/cold season. I build a proto-lather in the bowl or scuttle then finish it on face.
I have not noticed discernable differences in lather quality between the two. In my experience there is no noticeable difference.

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

2022 Tabactober 03.jpg

I am sure any ridges or protrusions would help but in a subtle way.

Give it a try. I think you will find that it works just fine. There’s bound to be a smooth bowl or two in the kitchen to experiment with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom