What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

These are very mild.

IMG_20240502_163505942.jpg

I've been ordering lots of Russian blades over the past couple months. I have received 5 different dates of Nacets this past month. Some coming from the same order, most from Jordan.

09-10-23
01-20-23
07-28-22
03-29-19
04-10-18

The oldest couple from 2018-2019 have the plain white wrapper. I am planning on doing a shave test with 2 dates at a time in the same GC .84p razor heads. Today I am going to try the newest and oldest against each other.

I also have a few other Nacet dates I've ordered in the past couple years and all were great except one. The bad one was dated 02-28-20. I tried 2 blades from it and both felt very rough compared to my other Nacets so I never used them again.

If any of the above dates stand out I plan on ordering a few hundred more to stock up on. I imagine they will all be about equal based on my past experiences so will likely just order whatever is cheapest unless one date stands out.

The 2018 and 2023 blade felt equal to me.

With only half of a shave each it’s not very thorough but I’m usually pretty good at feeling differences. I’ll continue to test the other couple dates in the next week. I shave every other day with the 84p for testing.

I will note the newer 2023 had a nasty slick/waxy runoff as I ran it under hot water. I’m not sure if it was the wax or an oil residue imbedded in the wax but it’s the first time I’ve ever had that with any blade. My Astra SP wax comes off slowly under hot water but this Nacet felt like slick lube after it got hot. It wasn’t a problem while shaving and I don’t see much of an issue with it. Just thought it was interesting.

Flydear Super Platinums. Because I'm a sucker for a 6 cent Chinese blade. Hopefully, these aren't like the PearlMax. I've got 198 of those, which sit in my display case because of colorful packaging and are only suitable for if I ever want to shave off my Robin Williams density chest hair.

I tried a few blades from these Clouds, only the ones in the red and white package, they often came to me shipped with the razors.
The ones I had tried are not bad but nothing outstanding to me to justify ordering a whole carton of a hundred blades.
The same for the Baili blades,IMHO.
I have a Knight Helmet and a Top Aggressive slant that I need to tone down. I generally prefer medium high sharpness in blades.

Ordered 300 Nacets from a Jordanian eBay seller yesterday.

Assuming they arrive here without much fuss, this concludes my journey to stock up on different blades that I like, and which are in danger of disappearing or moving production elsewhere and drastically changing.

About the only blade that I really like but don’t keep in stock is Bic Chrome Platinum, but I may fix that glaring error at some point…

And, here they are.

Since my blade box is full, I had to move my stash to a spare drawer in the bedroom cabinet.

Looking at it, I realized that I definitely should not buy any more blades in bulk.

IMG_3813.jpeg

Got my monthly 100 pack of Gillette Silver Blues yesterday from AMZ subscribe and save. Sorry, no picture. I believe that means I have 397 total or so of GSBs. I'll continue to buy a 100 pack every month for as long as supplies are available at < $16 or so. Hoarding actually isn't critical for me because despite the GSBs being my top blade, there's plenty of other blades I can shave happily with as well. The King C. Gillette now made in China is another good one for me and there's no apparent problems with re-supply there.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The 2018 and 2023 blade felt equal to me.

With only half of a shave each it’s not very thorough but I’m usually pretty good at feeling differences. I’ll continue to test the other couple dates in the next week. I shave every other day with the 84p for testing.

I will note the newer 2023 had a nasty slick/waxy runoff as I ran it under hot water. I’m not sure if it was the wax or an oil residue imbedded in the wax but it’s the first time I’ve ever had that with any blade. My Astra SP wax comes off slowly under hot water but this Nacet felt like slick lube after it got hot. It wasn’t a problem while shaving and I don’t see much of an issue with it. Just thought it was interesting.
I just cut my finger good taking off the wax from a Nacet with a micro cloth.... I think I'm being careful... but sometimes, I'm not... the wax on the Nacets is something else.. two huge globs in the middle of the blade.. it gets on both sides. It is annoying but I do love using the blades or I wouldn't put up with it. <eg>

I just cut my finger good taking off the wax from a Nacet with a micro cloth.... I think I'm being careful... but sometimes, I'm not... the wax on the Nacets is something else.. two huge globs in the middle of the blade.. it gets on both sides. It is annoying but I do love using the blades or I wouldn't put up with it. <eg>
It IS annoying. I wish they'd get rid of that whole wax thing. :001_rolle

Top Bottom