What's new

What's Cooking 2016

$15823200_10155666309868275_6739855474414590775_n.jpg

Passionfruit and raspberry Pav for tonight's dessert...

Twenty sixteen done, a few friends in last night to help bid it adieu.

Made around twelve new recipes plus plates of pickles, olives, crudites and cured meats with grainy mustard, chorizo, genova salami & a prosciutto salami.

Celery, carrots, red peppers, sugar snap peas, radishes, cucumber spears, mixed cherry tomatoes, yellow, red and purple mini potatoes...

Baked corn tortillas with a couple salsa, a couple hard cheeses and baked brie with fig jam or maple syrup/walnut/cranberry spread.

Blinis with smoked wild pacific salmon and horseradish cream.

Potato/carrot latkes topped with feta and kalamata olives.

Phyllo tartlets filled with a Thai sirloin steak salad. Tried for the first time, reverse searing the steak, wow! Popped the steak in a 250°F oven started the stop watch and at 41 minutes the probe alarm went off at 125°F, pulled from the oven rested for 5min then into the blazing hot cast iron pan for one minute per side, smoke detector said it was done, again, wow!

Stuffed olives, mixed brined olives and large green hot spiced, gherkins & cornichons, home canned dills, mixed pickled vegetables...

Humus topped with pomegranate seeds, feta and mixed micro greens- a couple types of radishes, buckwheat, pea and corn. Inspired by a roasted cauliflower humus we had out for my wife's recent birthday. Bought a tub of baba ganoush i'm very found of.

Buttermilk/sour cream vegetable dip.

Puff pastry tart with caramelized onions, olives and anchovies.

Bowls of pistachios and other mixed nuts and seeds, bowls of junk food...

Made baguettes using Red Fife flour.

Managed to squeeze off a few pictures but two of us were pretty busy.

Happy 2017, going to be a wild ride.dave

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, it was fun putting the food together and great to share it with friends i just don't see often enough.

Music to prep by, i got stuck on one shelf of CD's that pushed things along nicely, rolled through some Rammstein, Rage Against the Machine, Primus, then a mellower turn with R.E.M's Out of Time, 25th anniversary?, Wilco comp and on and on...

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
So, I'm one of those who thinks cilantro has no reason to exist in any food, ever. I noticed that Chana Masala calls for 1/2 cup... I wonder how it would turn out if I skipped that part.

I would guess still very nice. Put it this way, if you don't like it, then it's always going to taste better for you without it.

Go with parsley or Thai basil. Some people are genetically predisposed with cilantro aversions, no big deal to leave it out or replace it with something to your liking.
dave

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Looks really good Dustin! :thumbup1:

Now you just need to put that in the "What's Cooking 2017" thread that you're goin' start and sticky. :w00t:

Top Bottom