What's new

Whatcha riding, bicycle-wise?

REI's return policy is second to none. I'll pay a premium every day to have access to a no questions asked return policy!

I think there are limits to the policy, I've only heard of it online, I would never push the limits myself. For example, at first they said their Master Tech was going to look over the bike for misuse. I could see that if there was clear evidence I had been in an accident, they would not have repaired it or allowed me to return a damaged item. Because ordinarily forks and frames are covered by a life time warranty, they did replace it free of cost.

I think there are limits to the policy, I've only heard of it online, I would never push the limits myself. For example, at first they said their Master Tech was going to look over the bike for misuse. I could see that if there was clear evidence I had been in an accident, they would not have repaired it or allowed me to return a damaged item. Because ordinarily forks and frames are covered by a life time warranty, they did replace it free of cost.

Nope, no limits. The store is amazing. They have employee's who literally talk you into returning things. I agree, I wouldn't push the limits. But if you legitimately have an issue with something purchased from them...at any time, they will take care of you no questions asked. My experience on multiple items.

I haven't experienced any limits on returns I have made. There have been quite a few over the years, with some where I thought I was pushing it a bit. Pretty much all returns go into the garage sale anyway and they probably get a credit from the manufacturer. Just guessing, but I suspect they come out ok in the end.

Scott Sportster P1

Attachments

• $scott-sportster-p1-2009-hybrid-bike.jpg
    $scott-sportster-p1-2009-hybrid-bike.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 152
Built a singlespeed city ride with my retired Zaskar LE frame and some parts I had scattered around in various boxes. Fast, light, simple and ultra-low maintenance. I recently upgraded the ahead stem to a fat Kore stem, as you can see in the second pictur. Btw, the frame is at least twelve years old and I polished it with Nevr Dull, thus the shiny alloy. At some point I'll put in a rigid fork since I don't see the need for a suspension in the city, should make the bike it a bit lighter still.

$full.jpg$2012-07-26 19.02.22-1.jpg

32:15, so just slightly over 2:1. Could be a tad higher, but for stop&go traffic in the city it's not unreasonable, and easy on the knees.

Legion

Staff member
I'm currently ridding a 46/16 thinking about maybe going up to 49. Just for a little more oomph.

The problem with converting a mountain bike is that sometimes the chain ring can't be made bigger because the chain stays kick out too much to accommodate big nobbly tires. That was the case with mine, anyway. I have the smallest sprocket I can get on my bike, but I would still add a couple of teeth to my chain ring in my flattish city if I could. I think I have mine 32/12, from memory.

Nope, no limits. The store is amazing. They have employee's who literally talk you into returning things. I agree, I wouldn't push the limits. But if you legitimately have an issue with something purchased from them...at any time, they will take care of you no questions asked. My experience on multiple items.

Well, my recent experience somewhat confirms this. While REI replaced my fork for free (was about $90), I still had to pay for the labor which was about $25. Maybe I could have fought that but it was not worth it in my mind. Also the fork has a different color and is not identical since the bike is no longer made to the same specs.

I bought the SWMBO a 2010 Specialized Dolce Elite today from my brother's friend. Only about 100 miles on it, looks fantastic, especially in the sun. Anybody had any experience with this bike? I don't know a whole lot about road bikes myself, know the basics. I am still on a Trek 7.2 FX so I'm going to need road bike next year to be able to keep up with her.

Kinda random.

But I discovered a free app on my iPhone called strava.

Been using it to track my rides and it's pretty good so far.

Also has kind of a competition with other local riders. It keeps track of who has the fastestet time or speed on the roads you have been ridding together.

Kinda random.

But I discovered a free app on my iPhone called strava.

Been using it to track my rides and it's pretty good so far.

Also has kind of a competition with other local riders. It keeps track of who has the fastestet time or speed on the roads you have been ridding together.

I've recently started using Sports-tracker, I believe it's on Android and Apple. I use it for my runs and bike rides. You can compare your own times on the same routes, not sure about other people, I don't use that function on these kind of sites.

Basil how do you find Strava with the Iphone, I use it with a Garmin 500 but the one person I rode with that had an IPhone got wildly different distances.

Rides:
Road - Cervelo S3 with zipp 303 / 404
XC - Intense Spider 2
DH - Intense SOCOM

Unfortunately none of them are getting enough love these days.

So far I've found it to be pretty accurate. I just bought a knog nerd 12 computer to use instead so I don't always kill my phone battery lol

Top Bottom