What's new

What Vintage Razor?

Hello all,

I've just gotten to the point where I can wet shave successfully.

I currently am using an Edwin Jagger DE86 and am planning on buying a Merkur 34c and Heavy Duty.

But my whole intro wet shaving adventure has developed a nostalgic interrest.

I am planning on starting to slowly purchase vintage DE razors. So far less aggressive is where I'm at. I've read alot about Gillette Super Speeds. I'm also interrested in maybe a Gillette Fatboy.

So I was hoping that maybe I could get some feedback as to what you would recommend and where I should be looking at making these purchases. I don't know if I want to chance Ebay; I think I would be more inclinned to buy refurbished razors from a reputable sourcer.

Thank you in advanced.

Welcome to the journey and the start of RAD! Any Gillette SuperSpeed, FatBoy, or Slim would be my recommendation. Or a Schick Krona. Don't overlook the single-edge razors! You'll need to get some Schicks and GEMs (1912-series or Featherweight) along the way. Since your tastes will change, you should probably just grab anything that catches your eye in case you decide you want it a couple of years down the road....

Flea markets, antique/junk/thrift shops, and yard sales are your new best friends. Go ahead and get some Dawn dishwashing soap, Scrubbing Bubbles (non-bleach), and metal polish while you're at it.

eBay if you wanna chance it but there's the forums here.

The vintage shops, flea market, thrift store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the journey and the start of RAD! Any Gillette SuperSpeed, FatBoy, or Slim would be my recommendation. Or a Schick Krona. Don't overlook the single-edge razors! You'll need to get some Schicks and GEMs (1912-series or Featherweight) along the way. Since your tastes will change, you should probably just grab anything that catches your eye in case you decide you want it a couple of years down the road....

Flea markets, antique/junk/thrift shops, and yard sales are your new best friends. Go ahead and get some Dawn dishwashing soap, Scrubbing Bubbles (non-bleach), and metal polish while you're at it.

Brother Zipslack says it all. Not much to add.

Gillette Aristocrat 48-50 is probably the best vintage Gillette option. It's an amazing razor, even though it's more expensive than most vintage Gillettes. It shaves better than most vintage and is as good as some mild hi-end modern razors. You will enjoy it, if you decide to buy one, that's for sure.

Thank you for all the replies. I didn't even notice that there was a BST section. I'll be keeping an eye out there. Thank you.

I'd recommend a Tech (try to get a Pre or Post War version in brass). My preference is for the Fat Handle one, but the Ball-End handle is fine too. They're mild and because they have a very thin head, they're very manoeuvrable. One of the simplest razors is also one of the best ever.
I'd also agree with the Schick injector. They're so perfectly designed that a child could use one, they rarely bite, and the thicker injector blade is incredibly efficient and long-lived. My preference is actually for the more recent models, and my favourite is the Grip novelty model.

Thank you for the Tech recommendations, I see that they are widely available, affordable and It looks like it will be a great beginner's razor for someone like myself. I think that will be first on my list. I like the brass look very much.

Thank's again.

I tried two Tech's that I purchased at an antique store, and was surprised at how simple and maneuverable they are. They are cheap too........

I came down with a really bad case of RAD which resulted in a lot of different Gillette models and some Schick injector models also. I was fortunate enough to enjoy a childhood, which spanned the late forties and early fifties, and my dad tried everything that came on the market. I suspect that sparked my fascination, with these wonderful, devices.
If you get a fatboy and a slim you can duplicate most Gillette model sizes. The adjustment features will let you dial in the level of aggressiveness you're seeking. They'll better help you determine what model you would really like to target.
Best luck, Ron

r

I came down with a really bad case of RAD which resulted in a lot of different Gillette models and some Schick injector models also. I was fortunate enough to enjoy a childhood, which spanned the late forties and early fifties, and my dad tried everything that came on the market. I suspect that sparked my fascination, with these wonderful, devices.
If you get a fatboy and a slim you can duplicate most Gillette model sizes. The adjustment features will let you dial in the level of aggressiveness you're seeking. They'll better help you determine what model you would really like to target.
Best luck, Ron

Thank you Ron

I second the Techs. My first vintage razor was a Ball End Tech. I now have 4 Techs. The original silver/nickel colored ball end, a gold colored ball end, a silver/nickel fat handle and a black fat handle. I recently bought another fat handle to create a frankenrazor with an Old Type head. You can't go wrong with the Tech. But it isn't a "beginner's" razor. Its a nice mild razor that can deliver a nice close comfortable shave.

No need to fear eBay. Just look at the pics closely. Check for sold auctions to get a feel for pricing. Good luck.

No need to fear eBay. Just look at the pics closely. Check for sold auctions to get a feel for pricing. Good luck.

Also, don't feel that you can't ask for additional pictures. I did this on one auction today, and the Old, even though it was in the original case (half unreadable screen printing), had the top knob completely removable, and a crack running almost the entire length of the handle. Not worth $30. Someone else apparently thought it was worth it, however.

Pre-War Fat-handle Tech. I love mine.
I don't know if I want to chance Ebay; I think I would be more inclined to buy refurbished razors from a reputable source.
I got my Slim from an eBay vendor and I'm quite happy with it. There are lots of them, and they're quite rugged to begin with. Mine has some small spots where the brass shows through the plating, which were visible in the vendor's photos. They don't affect the performance anyway.
I'd avoid the ones that come with an original (or at least matching) case because you are paying much more just for the case as a collectible, not as a daily-use razor.

Oh yeah - I wouldn't buy a razor with a ball-end handle sight unseen from eBay, because they often have cracks in the handles that don't show up in the photos. I would trust one sold in BST though.

I second the Techs. My first vintage razor was a Ball End Tech. I now have 4 Techs. The original silver/nickel colored ball end, a gold colored ball end, a silver/nickel fat handle and a black fat handle. I recently bought another fat handle to create a frankenrazor with an Old Type head. You can't go wrong with the Tech. But it isn't a "beginner's" razor. Its a nice mild razor that can deliver a nice close comfortable shave.

I agree completely. While the design reduces nicks and cuts, making it a great razor for a beginner, it is much more than just a beginner's razor. I haven't found a razor yet that is more rewarding of good technique. With experience, it gives a close and very comfortable shave that is nearly effortless.

Top Bottom