What's new

What Type of leather can be used for a strop?

My father-in-law has a heap of leather lying around his shed. He used to make shoes with the leather but has stopped now. I was wondering:

Can you use any type of leather for a strop?

How do you treat it to get it to straight edge razor strop quality?

Can I offer an opinion, but clearly label it as from someone with only a modest amount of experience? This is not mock humility either.

The leather must be smooth, of course. If it is perfectly smooth, the leather won't harm the edge. As for the effectiveness of the leather, I am totally in the dark here other than to tell you I believe all leathers will strop and work, but that not all leathers are created equal.

I like leather that I would describe as tight and stiff to the feel when you buy it. The pore size is small and it almost feels like rubber before used. I treat it well with oils, work them in well. Then, strop.

It takes a few razors before a strop starts to feel right to me. Just like you have to use a baseball glove awhile to break it in, I feel I need to strop a few razors before it is broken in.

Personal preference above.

Last edited:
It's not about the critter it comes from it's about the quality and characteristics of the individual piece. Most shoe leather is hard-designd for hard wear which isn't good for a strop. You need smooth, uniform, supple no fat marks or creases or wrinkles.

Post some pics of what you have and I/we may be able to help more.

Many leathers can be used for strops. You want the leather for the final strop to be smooth, but not really hard. Flat is also important, but leather can be wet and then flattened. Some shoe leathers may work just fine. I own a pair of great boots from RM Williams made down your way, and they make their boots from a single piece of leather. If it leather like that, and a big enough piece, it would work very well.

In fact, shell cordovan is used for strops and very high-end shoes. The prior poster is correct that today many shoe leathers are treated to be hard wearing, and those may not be good. It really depends on what you have there.

Also, if the leather you have is not smooth, it may be a good substitute for the canvas component to a strop. Again, it depends on what you have.

So, post up some pics if you want some help.

Top Bottom