What's new

What TV series you watching?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not a series, but the Netflix Tom Brady Roast.

Seems truly awful. I am not a big fan of the genre in general, although true masters like Norm MacDonald could pull it off. But Kevin Hart seems unfunny to me nearly always, and this show seems more mean than anything.
If it's done right, it can be tremendously funny. I still enjoy watching the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts.
There's a difference between good natured ribbing, and mean spirited mocking.

Legion

Staff member
Just finished The Tattooist of Auschwitz. Hard going because of the subject matter, of course. But all the performances were very good. Worth watching.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

Seems truly awful. I am not a big fan of the genre in general, although true masters like Norm MacDonald could pull it off. But Kevin Hart seems unfunny to me nearly always, and this show seems more mean than anything.
I think Kevin Hart is the most annoying person one can see on TV. He is in so many adds now, not funny at all. Would never watch anything he is in, unfortunately, the adds come up and one cannot do anything.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think Kevin Hart is the most annoying person one can see on TV. He is in so many adds now, not funny at all. Would never watch anything he is in, unfortunately, the adds come up and one cannot do anything.

I looked, and there is not a single TV show I have ever watched that he has been in.
While he's not one of my favorite actors, there have been several films he's been in that I enjoyed such as The Man from Toronto and the Jumanji films. I don't know if it is because of him or in spite of him being in those films.

I got netflix again after a long away from it
so now catching up on the Heist series hope they are as good as the original :)
watching Berlin to start
I need to see the 3 Body problem as I hear some talking about it

Watching A Man in Full on Netflix. It was my favorite book. Also, Tokyo Vice on HBO. On season 2, excellent. I just finished Top Boy. All 5 seasons. It's decent. I got sick of it after season 4.

I looked, and there is not a single TV show I have ever watched that he has been in.
While he's not one of my favorite actors, there have been several films he's been in that I enjoyed such as The Man from Toronto and the Jumanji films. I don't know if it is because of him or in spite of him being in those films.
He may be better as an actor than as a stand up.

If it's done right, it can be tremendously funny. I still enjoy watching the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts.
There's a difference between good natured ribbing, and mean spirited mocking.
I agree, and I think roasts these days have evolved to me more mean-spirited mocking. Although, I would say that I think Anthony Jeselnik has been very funny on some of these roasts, and he is very dark and seemingly very mean-spirited. Vicious, really. So mean-spirited mocking can be very funny. But just because it is mean-spirited mocking does not make it funny. Comedy, as always, is hard and takes a lot of skill. it just does!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I agree, and I think roasts these days have evolved to me more mean-spirited mocking. Although, I would say that I think Anthony Jeselnik has been very funny on some of these roasts, and he is very dark and seemingly very mean-spirited. Vicious, really. So mean-spirited mocking can be very funny. But just because it is mean-spirited mocking does not make it funny. Comedy, as always, is hard and takes a lot of skill. it just does!
I had read that comedians were very happy with the Brady roast in that they saw big names come out with jokes that made the PC crowds collective head explode.
A sort of celebration that cancel culture hasn't killed comedy.
I have not seen the roast, so I can't say whether I thought it funny.

I had read that comedians were very happy with the Brady roast in that they saw big names come out with jokes that made the PC crowds collective head explode.
A sort of celebration that cancel culture hasn't killed comedy.
I have not seen the roast, so I can't say whether I thought it funny.
I frankly did not watch the whole thing. I read a review that complained about how mean and insulting and not funny it was, as opposed to funny, and watched part of the actual show. It seemed to back up what the review was saying. But maybe I should not be commenting. :)

<I had read that comedians were very happy with the Brady roast in that they saw big names come out with jokes that made the PC crowds collective head explode.>

I will try to track that down. I am really not caustic, obscene, or outlandish humor in general, but it still has to be funny, not just head exploding for me to like it. (I am not a fan of out and out racist humor. I do not find jokes focused on sexual preference inherently funny. On my admitted short viewing, I found way too much specific discussion of Brady's private parts, which seemed oddly intentionally vulgar. On the other hand, I really like the movie the Aristocrats! ) I would be curious as to which comedians were saying that. Comedians are a varied bunch!

I think Bill Maher and Jerry Seinfeld have said things to the effect that modern crowds, especially college crowds are too PC. Actually not good reference points for me. Not because they are at all outrageous, but because I do not find either one very funny. I think Dave Chappell has be unfairly criticized by the LGBT community, but I also think he has defended himself rather well.

I just tried to Google up some comments by comedians on the Brady roast and I did not find much specific to it being a blow against cancel culture. Seen in that light I guess it had some value. I am not knocking that value.

I do not know if this was the review I read that I referenced earlier. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/05/07/tom-brady-roast-gisele-bundchen-bridget-moynahan/ Pretty scathing, I thought.

Some reviewers seemed to think it was funny. To each his own. I did not mean to unduly knock it if it appeals to some folks.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just tried to Google up some comments by comedians on the Brady roast and I did not find much specific to it being a blow against cancel culture. Seen in that light I guess it had some value. I am not knocking that value.

I do not know if this was the review I read that I referenced earlier. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/05/07/tom-brady-roast-gisele-bundchen-bridget-moynahan/ Pretty scathing, I thought.

Some reviewers seemed to think it was funny. To each his own. I did not mean to unduly knock it if it appeals to some folks.

One example

A Man In Full on Netflix.

Very well done and good acting here. Jeff Daniels leads a great cast as Charlie Crocker, the Georgian billionaire. The 2 main characters are a super tough, all masculine, billionaire Atlanta tycoon and an equally tough banker that wants to bring him down by calling in his loans. When these two meet, the dialogue is epic. Like to rams going head to head. Crocker won't back down and goes to great lengths to keep what he has built.

It's a short series, only 6 episodes, so you won't have to invest much time on it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I started watching Franklin. I'm not sure about it yet. He's definitely a hero of mine, but I'm not sure about the show.

We stopped after one episode. Douglas is not believable as Franklin IMO

My first thought as well. Mike is out of place in that role. Not a good fit. But I keep watching. It’s not a terrible show but I know it could have been better with a different leading actor.

I’ve only seen clips of it. I love a good joke especially at someone else’s expense. But I do think there is a difference between good natured ribbing and being downright insulting. These roast seems to play on the below the belt line more often than not. Which to me is still funny cause….celebrities. But it’s not something I watch cause…..celebrities.

You know when two people who hate each other have to greet each other and smile and shake hands and appear to really like each other but through gritted teeth smiles they are whispering under their breath to each other “I ****ing hate your guts. I’m gonna kill you after this. You piece of ****. I hope you get butt cancer”. IMO that’s what these roasts are to me Haha. It’s the perfect time to say the most horrible things about someone all with a smile on your face.

SWMBO and I just started Shogun, so far so good. I really enjoyed the original mini series with Richard Chamberlin and the book is great.

One example
Thanks. Seem to be quoting football players not comedians. I had not heard that it was such a hit with audiences.

If it was, I am okay with it. Odd for me to be the one saying wow that was gross!

Just finished The Tattooist of Auschwitz. Hard going because of the subject matter, of course. But all the performances were very good. Worth watching.
Just watched this too. Not an easy watch, but holds your attention. .
Probably the nearest to this awful event of all the concentration camp programmes.
I've visited auschwitz and its truly heartbreaking to see all the possessions the nazis kept.
Makes you wonder how politicians could think up such horrors.

Finished up the last season of Das Boot.

Finished A Man in Full.

Started the new series on AppleTV called Dark Matter. It's um, different.

Watching Hanna, season 3.

Counting down until 16 May, for season 2 of Outer Range.

Top Bottom