What's new

What size and shape do you prefer?

The other day when I hauled my laptop to the cigar lounge, I bought a torpedo just out of curiousity to see if my tastes had changed. I had tried a couple several months ago, but for some reason remembered them as not being very good. The shape and draw that is. Well, I'm glad I gave them a second chance as I really enjoyed this cigar. I had the perfect ambiance...good smoke, great leather chair, dim lighting, and all you fellas here at Badger and Blade.

for me the size and shape really depends on the cigar I am smoking. But I do tend to gravitate more toward a 5x50 smoke. Just seems to be the perfect amount of time!

I smoke mostly 38 to 42 ring cigars, but in all kinds of lengths . . . from tres petit coronas at 4-3/8" to especiales at 7-1/2" I find fatter cigars seem to have less concentrated flavors. That and the price difference is why I favor the slimmer smokes.

I mostly smoke corona sized cigars, but love robustos and torpedos(which can be a number of sizes). I think churchill size cigars can be some of the best to smoke, they take way too long and I get bored with them. They are nice for a football game or long gettogether. But for a convenient relaxing smoke one of the first three is what I go for. :biggrin:

Normally Churchill's- but lately Torpedoes. Much to my cigrin- i recently smoked a Macanudo Maduro Diplomat - the size is a perfect quick smoke , but it is also a very satisfying light smoke as well.

Go figure- and Cory- always give a cigar at least a second chance- most hand mades are good- but every so often one gets through that will not seem to represent the whole- I have over time learned to really appreciate many cigars that I have 'passed' over.

While I don't smoke too often anymore, my hands down favorite for a great smoke with a great commitment is the Hemingway Short-Story! Great little cigar.:thumbup1:

The other day when I hauled my laptop to the cigar lounge, I bought a torpedo just out of curiousity to see if my tastes had changed. I had tried a couple several months ago, but for some reason remembered them as not being very good. The shape and draw that is. Well, I'm glad I gave them a second chance as I really enjoyed this cigar. I had the perfect ambiance...good smoke, great leather chair, dim lighting, and all you fellas here at Badger and Blade.

What Torp was it Cory??

What Torp was it Cory??

Well, here's the funny thing, Jim. I'm not actually sure that it was a torpedo. When it comes to this shape, it seems that different terminology runs rampant. It was a Perdomo Fresco Belicoso, and I'm hoping you or the other guys can help to clarify this little point for me. Are these all synonyms: torpedo, belicoso, and missile? When it comes to the different figurados, I can easily differentiate between a pyramid, chisel, and perfecto, but with the "torpedo" shape I get confused. Is this just a case of "more than one way to skin a cat," and they're all names for the same thing? Or are there subtle differences that I'm not yet aware of?

Thanks.

The Missile is Rocky Patel's name only (I think) for that "short Torpedo shape".

A Belicoso and a Torpedo are basically the same with slightly different dimensions and varies by manufacturer more than by true definition.

Eg: We all know that company "A" will call a 4-1/4" X 40 a Corona, and company "B" will call their 4-3/8" X 40 a Petite Corona.

The Missile is Rocky Patel's name only (I think) for that "short Torpedo shape".

A Belicoso and a Torpedo are basically the same with slightly different dimensions and varies by manufacturer more than by true definition.

Eg: We all know that company "A" will call a 4-1/4" X 40 a Corona, and company "B" will call their 4-3/8" X 40 a Petite Corona.

Ah ha. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. :thumbsup: I had no clue that the Missile was brand specific to RP, though. Good stuff.

A Toro (6x50) if I have the time to enjoy it. About 50-60 minutes. I also like a corona (5X44-48) and robusto (5x50) size if my time is shorter.

I prefer a rounded head because I like to use a punch on the smaller rings and when I use a cutter on the larger sizes I like to take just a very thin slice off.

My very favorite is Casa Blanca: Jeroboam or Natural. This a 66 ring size @ 10 inches. A nice long cool smoke with plenty of flavor. When time permits. :wink:

Top Bottom