What's new

What picture editing software are you using & why?

I have been through several free and low budget software titles and am wondering if I just need to bite the bullet and buy "Photoshop". I have used Corel "Photopaint" and "paintshop pro" and I can do pretty well with these. I have also used "Gimp" with some success, but Gimp was terribly unintuative and hard to use. So what is the consensus on good photo post processing software that doesn't break the bank?

Ronnie

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Since I got a bit more serious about digital, less than a year ago, I've been using Lightroom. My first thought was PhotoShop but it seemed like too much of an investment and I really did not want to "edit" so much as "adjust and balance".

I used the version of Photoshop and Quark that was available back in 2004 - can't remember what version it was.
My buddy installed them for free. I purchased a new computer last year and I wasn't able to transfer the software.
I recently purchased Photoshop Elements 10 for about US$70.00. It's got the all the basic features of the full version and I haven't been disappointed.
For the price, Elements 10 is a great option.

Last edited:
Photoshop since version 2 for me as well. I dabbled with Lightroom for a bit but I still do nearly all my raw editing in Adobe Bridge and ACR.

I use Photoshop at work but have Corel Paintshop Pro x5 at home with AfterShot. I'd love full photoshop but just don't have the budget and Paintshop does a pretty good job at a fraction of the price.

Legion

Staff member
Photoshop CS4.

From my research, Gimp is about the most powerful free program, and yes, it is unintuitive. But so is photoshop really. It is just a matter of playing with it and learning how it all works.

I use Photoshop, because I've been using it forever. I use it at work too, so I know the program inside and out. I've more recently started using Lightroom for importing and managing my large collection of digital pictures. Its easier to do batch corrections etc when I know all the pictures need say the same color correction.

I'm not sure about the future of me and Photoshop though. I'm not telling people to pirate software, but I usually am able to find a way to get it for free after the newest version has been out. I'm not a pro, and don't sell my pictures. If you arent' a pro, and have never used Photoshop, I wouldn't "bite the bullet". Like Legion said, there is a steep learning curve to GIMP, but the same holds true for Photoshop. The move to the Creative Cloud will probably keep me on CS6 permanently at home at least. No big deal because honestly, for personal work, I rarely use the newest features in each version.

Photoshop CS2 is free from adobe for dowload, the serial numbers are given. Still very powerful but limited on operating systems. Not sure about windows 8 but give it try. http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/

IF CS2 doesn not work PS elements would be cheap enough and usually free with cameras and scanners.

Lightroom is without a doubt the easier program and better program for amatures to edit and organize with and would be my number 1 pick for price, ease of use and power. Photomechanic is my go to culling and organizing program and is a great choice to look at also.

If you shoot Nikon check out the free program View NX and great program also for the basics.

No, that CS2 download will only work with Windows XP or 2000. For mac, I think you have to have a PPC processor (may go as high as 10.4?)

If you sitll have those operating systems, that is a GREAT way to break into the Photoshop realm. I used CS2 for a very long time as it was out when I was in college.

Nikon Capture NX2 is my main editor, ViewNX2 is my organizer and I have a full compliment of Nik filers. On my iPad mini I have Nik Snapseed loaded.

Jim

If you find Gimp unintunitive you will find PhotoShop to be the same. Gimp was based on PhotoShop. It is definitely powerful. There are a lot of YouTube how to videos for most common tasks.

Lightroom. I don't do much extensive editing, and appreciate having my image collection organized in the same program I use for editing.

Pretty much use PS CS4/ACR at home. I'll mess around with photos at work with the free CS2 download. FWIW it works fine on my win7 machine.

I was looking at getting CS6, mainly for the content aware, but now that they've went cloud based, I'm not sure I want to go there. Regardless of what they say, I'll bet Lightroom ends up subscription based as well. Maybe time to look into Capture One?

Since I got a bit more serious about digital, less than a year ago, I've been using Lightroom. My first thought was PhotoShop but it seemed like too much of an investment and I really did not want to "edit" so much as "adjust and balance".

+1 Lightroom is terrific. It's about all I use.

Top Bottom