What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

Old threads are cool and let us have a look back in time as we age but the Gillette razors we discuss here apparently do not. Here is one of my favorite New razors. 1930 Big Boy Gold De Luxe
100_5490.JPG

I've been reading a lot lately about Gillette NEWs. Many gents like one NEW or another. Long Comb, Short Comb, Deluxe, American, British, Canadian, 2 piece, 3 piece, etc.

Although I'm not sure we need another BOTOC subgroup, I for one am a GNU (Gillette NEW Über-fan). Are you a GNU?

My question for you:

What is your favorite NEW?

I have many favorites. My current one is a British NEW head on a Tradere handle.

View attachment 359558

Bring it! Post pictures and descriptions of your favorite NEW!
New Deluxe then New Improved

I only have one Deluxe and two New Improved.
so I have to find a raised flat bottom next.
will not pay twenty pounds for shipping a razor.
I have used both DeLux and New Improved last week.

I borrowed a New Type Short comb from a friend and falled in love with. The shave is so easy and effective.

After a few phone call, I discovered that the new type of my friend was an ex-bostonian which is chrome re-plated.

This is the chrome re-plated new type SC of my friend.

1679953201088.jpeg

So I decided to buy a bostonian and to use it. If I will not be happy with the existing plating I can chrome re-plate it.

And finally, I bought this one today. Not received yet. I'll be glad your thoughts and remarks. I am not expert on vintage Gillette and I am thinking that this is Gillette Bostonian.

1679952810180.jpeg

1679952836567.jpeg

And this is bonus
1679952865612.jpeg

Too easy with with a Nacet with 16 shaves.
this morning with Personna was very nice on first shave. I generally prefer seven shaves on a blade before it’s getting smooth.
image.jpg

Just like @Cal , my favourite NEW is the 1933 3 piece RFB #44. And it is also my favourite razor.

The only complaint i could have about this razor is exactly the same that i have about my 50s UK Tech #24 :it has a narrow effective angle, IMO.
It is easy to apply a too shallow inclination that will make you feel this razor rough & strangely inefficient.

But Cal, on these photos, your 1939 #44 seems to be plated in nickel, doesn't it ? Is it the original plating or did you make a restoration ? 🤔

Because the original silver plating of my 1933 #44 looks much "whiter" than yours :

sotd#7.jpg

But Cal, on these photos, your 1939 #44 seems to be plated in nickel, doesn't it ? Is it the original plating or did you make a restoration ? 🤔
Mine was NOS (and silver plated). Here it is on mr-razor:
1680430913362.png

Because the original silver plating of my 1933 #44 looks much "whiter" than yours :
I prefer nickel, so I had it replated in Mirror Nickel by the brilliant Back Roads Gold. :cornut:

Top Bottom