What's new

What is the worst blade you have used in your razor?

It only took 3 posts for this thread to pick my favorite blade to hate.

And not for lack of trying. I've given this blade a shot for a week, on 3 separate occasions. I say never again, but I'm just foolish and cheap enough to try it again.

My introduction to DE razors, was with Derby blades. I thought they worked fine other than a dud here or there. Then I used Astra SP's and I swear, like by the flip of a switch, Derby's began to feel tuggy and dull lol.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My introduction to DE razors, was with Derby blades. I thought they worked fine other than a dud here or there. Then I used Astra SP's and I swear, like by the flip of a switch, Derby's began to feel tuggy and dull lol.
I wonder sometimes if the guys on here that love 'em have ever tried any other kind? I am just baffled. I think I'll just try one soon in my slant. Then I will honestly feel okay to relegate them to algae scrapers for my koi!

I wonder sometimes if the guys on here that love 'em have ever tried any other kind? I am just baffled. I think I'll just try one soon in my slant. Then I will honestly feel okay to relegate them to algae scrapers for my koi!
This is a typical case of YMMV. Just like you, I try the Derbys time and time again in various configurations, only to end up in a tuggy bloodbath every single time. I just cannot accept that I cannot get them to work OK for me somehow.

Gillette Silver Blue and Bic. I tried 5 blades of each, and every single one was very rough and uncomfortable. I don't know why GSB gets so much praise. They were terrible. YMMV, as always.

This is a typical case of YMMV. Just like you, I try the Derbys time and time again in various configurations, only to end up in a tuggy bloodbath every single time. I just cannot accept that I cannot get them to work OK for me somehow.
I tried Derby, only to bin the entire tuck after only two passes, that's how bad they were. I'm not trying them ever again. Rusty paint scrapers would be better alternatives to Derby blades for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I tried Derby, only to bin the entire tuck after only two passes, that's how bad they were. I'm not trying them ever again. Rusty paint scrapers would be better alternatives to Derby blades for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Which ones? They make at least three: Derby Extra, Derby Premium, Derby USTA

I'd have to say Feather FHS-10 has been the worst blade I've tried. Only managed one good shave with the first blade I used, then it was all downhill from there. For DE, I'd have to go with Merkur being the worst I've used.

Gillette super thin - first use, 4 strokes and had to stop because it was so rough and tugging. Put in a Nacet and got a great shave. Not sure if its just the blade or the whole pack. Time will tell.

The new ones made in China or vintage ones?
Not sure, they came from Singapore.
IMG_20191216_182703.jpg

The memorably worst blade I ever tried was a blued Gillette, that I found among my dad's effects in the 1970s. I think they were carbon steel, not stainless.

To be fair, it had probably deteriorated in storage.

Of current blades, the UK Tesco one, "Xprt" which looked exactly like (and maybe was?) a rebadged Israeli Personna, was sub-par. Maybe it was just a bad batch, as I've liked all the other Israeli Personnas I tried.

Standard Derby blades (jade green package) and the Rockwell blades that came with the razor. Both felt dull.

They might work well for someone with a light beard though. Generally, the sharper a blade is, the more fragile it is. If you want a chisel blade to last, sharpen it at a wider angle and strop it to within an inch of its life to remove any flaws. It won't be sharp enough to do some things, but it will work well as a general chisel for quite a long time. I imagine the same can be said of razor blades. Perhaps that is why some blades are manufactured to be less sharp? Dunno. Ymmv.

Good question. I recently found out that it depends on the razor you're using. I hated Derby Extras in my EJ89. Tugging, dull blades. But then I purchased Rockwell 6C, and now I really like them. Smooth, good for regular 1-2 day beard. However, I guess I still don't like Crystals.

Good question. I recently found out that it depends on the razor you're using. I hated Derby Extras in my EJ89. Tugging, dull blades. But then I purchased Rockwell 6C, and now I really like them. Smooth, good for regular 1-2 day beard. However, I guess I still don't like Crystals.
Try Derby Premium or Derby Usta. They knock Extras into cocked hats imho.

Dorco. I had read about them here, but went ahead and tried them. They had come in a sample pack from Razor Emporium, so I already had them. First shave was just ok, I shaved very carefully and barely any weepers. Second shave I went ahead normal, with my RR SLOC, I really got cut in several places, the most cuts in any shave! Will not be using Dorco again...

AF2A683B-DBA4-4ED0-8F9B-210C8BFD1367.jpeg

Top Bottom