What's new

What do I age first?

My Bespoke Box for February arrived today! I chose the "Aged" box. The box includes a pint sized bottle with stopper, two gorgeous Sempli Rocks glasses, and two toasted oak staves. I was thinking of starting off aging some white dog, but the traditional aged gin martini they suggest in the documentation sounds pretty intriguing.

Anyone out there have any experience with short duration aging or any suggestions as to a spirt to try? I'm not expecting anything to taste like Balvenie 21, but should be fun experimenting.

$age.jpg

Cheers,
JW

I have no experience whatsoever with this and truthfully wasn't aware that this option existed. It should be fun though. Keep us posted as to your results. I like your idea of trying to add some character to your White Dog. Good luck with your adventure!

First, those glasses look really cool.

FWIW, my vote goes to the White Dog. Mostly because the majority of that stuff doesn't taste very good. Perhaps this would allow you to enjoy it vs throwing it out.

Are the staves only good for one "aging"? I wonder how much additional staves are. Could be fun to experiment with aging beers this way.....

First, those glasses look really cool.

FWIW, my vote goes to the White Dog. Mostly because the majority of that stuff doesn't taste very good. Perhaps this would allow you to enjoy it vs throwing it out.

Are the staves only good for one "aging"? I wonder how much additional staves are. Could be fun to experiment with aging beers this way.....

Additional staves are $7 for two on Bespoke. Might be able to find them cheaper somewhere else. I haven't looked yet.

According to site they are good for 5 or so batches, but loose a bit of their oomph each time so you need to leave them in bit longer with subsequent use. They are suggesting about two weeks. I'll taste at that time, but my guess is it might take quite a bit longer to achieve much. Given that age is all about surface contact, this won't yield "barrel" results but should be fun. That beer comment has me thinking too...big imperials are just begging for something like this!

Cheers,
JW

So on the way home from work today I picked up a bottle of Mill Town Artisan Distillery's No. 217 Corn Whiskey. It's a local Idaho white dog and the bottle was hand signed as part of batch #1 so I couldn't resist. I'm such a sucker for marketing.

Had a little taste as I was loading up the aging bottle and frankly it was a lot smoother/creamier than I was expecting given some of the other whites I have tried.

First taste is in 14 days.

$milltown.jpg

So on the way home from work today I picked up a bottle of Mill Town Artisan Distillery's No. 217 Corn Whiskey. It's a local Idaho white dog and the bottle was hand signed as part of batch #1 so I couldn't resist. I'm such a sucker for marketing.

Had a little taste as I was loading up the aging bottle and frankly it was a lot smoother/creamier than I was expecting given some of the other whites I have tried.

First taste is in 14 days.

View attachment 638542
We all expect a full report!!

I did some Mikitary Special vodka over a year ago. Right now, it is very smooth and tastes like a good bourbon. I will try some gin next. Plan on it aging awhile for better results.

I did some Mikitary Special vodka over a year ago. Right now, it is very smooth and tastes like a good bourbon. I will try some gin next. Plan on it aging awhile for better results.

Interesting...the guide mentions that more neutral spirits will do really well with the process. I have two staves, so might have to get another bottle started. :001_smile

Cheers,
JW

I have half a pint of 190 proof grain alcohol that I added about eight 1/2"x1/2"x3/8" cubes of heavy chard white oak. It's been sitting in the cupboard for the last eight months. I haven't tried drinking any of it, but it smells wonderful and has a dark carmel color.

Has already taken on a surprising amount of color in just 24 hours. Back in the cabinet it goes. I'll take a peek in another week or so.

$amber.jpg

Cheers,
JW

I have half a pint of 190 proof grain alcohol that I added about eight 1/2"x1/2"x3/8" cubes of heavy chard white oak. It's been sitting in the cupboard for the last eight months. I haven't tried drinking any of it, but it smells wonderful and has a dark carmel color.

Do you have a time period in mind for trying it? A year...longer?

So, almost a year in and it has taken on some surprising character. I say surprising, because a buddy and I tried a bit at 6 months in and it didn't taste like much of anything. At that point I added an extra stave and pushed it to the back of the pantry.

Tonight I poured myself a wee finger. Was pretty creamy to begin with (the original white dog) but has taken on a nice Carmel flavor with a hint of smoke and oak. A bit of lingering pepper but not too much alcohol burn. Back in the pantry it goes for a while.

Cheers Gents!
JW

proxy.php
proxy.php

Thermal cycling will accelerate the process. Heat and cold. Agitation also.

Mark

Might be worth a try. I have a couple of different malt whiskeys that I know benefited age wise from trips across the ocean on ships. Stands to reason that would help this also.

Top Bottom