What's new

What did you hone today?

A new Wade & Butcher was met by the Shapton welcome party. Smoothed things out again with a vintage Yellow Lake.

The edge on this razor is dead straight. Really easy to hone.

IMG_1817.jpeg

IMG_1820.jpeg

I got this near-wedge, 4/8 Heljestrand about 12 or 18 months ago from memory. I tried honing it a couple of times initially, getting a lovely edge for most of it, but not quite setting the bevel properly all the way along. And I was getting some spine wear too, so I decided to set it aside until the day I had more experience and knew more about honing weird-*** razors, without the risk of completely feckin it up. And that day was yesterday...

My plan of attack was going to be taping, and then bench honing to properly force the bevel set. In another thread @Steve56 also mentioned that taping was probably the way the way to go, so I knew my thinking was on the right track. And indeed - it worked an absolute charm. I also did something I'd not tried before, but on the basis of this razor might continue with...

The tape meant I could properly lean into the bevel set, and make sure it was good. I was conscious that setting a bevel is easier when bench honing, but when finishing or touching up later I like to hand hone. And the motions; length of stroke, roll, how and where pressure is applied &c. are going to be different between the two.

If I initially honed a 4/8 wedge exclusively on the bench, would I then be able to do future touchups in-hand, and get them perfect?

I wasn't convinced. So I did a combination of the two on each stone, to try to blend the methods and results, starting with bench honing and then moving to hand each time. And I also varied the ratios gradually through the progression; on the early stones it was mostly bench honing followed by just a little in-hand, by the time of the finishing stone it was just a few bench swipes and then mostly in-hand.

Other people do that kind of thing? I'm sure I can't be the first person to think of it, and as I say - it worked a treat. King 800 > Naniwa 4k > Tam > WoA, and a perfectly silent HHT 5 from heel to toe. Can't wait to use this razor now! :)

IMG_3732.jpg

Last edited:
I got this near-wedge, 4/8 Heljestrand about 12 or 18 months ago from memory. I tried honing it a couple of times initially, getting a lovely edge for most of it, but not quite setting the bevel properly all the way along. And I was getting some spine wear too, so I decided to set it aside until the day I had more experience and knew more about honing weird-*** razors, without the risk of completely feckin it up. And that day was yesterday...

My plan of attack was going to be taping, and then bench honing to properly force the bevel set. In another thread @Steve56 also mentioned that taping was probably the way the way to go, so I knew my thinking was on the right track. And indeed - it worked an absolute charm. I also did something I'd not tried before, but on the basis of this razor might continue with...

The tape meant I could properly lean into the bevel set, and make sure it was good. I was conscious that setting a bevel is easier when bench honing, but when finishing or touching up later I like to hand hone. And the motions; length of stroke, roll, how and where pressure is applied &c. are going to be different between the two.

If I initially honed a 4/8 wedge exclusively on the bench, would I then be able to do future touchups in-hand, and get them perfect?

I wasn't convinced. So I did a combination of the two on each stone, to try to blend the methods and results, starting with bench honing and then moving to hand each time. And I also varied the ratios gradually through the progression; on the early stones it was mostly bench honing followed by just a little in-hand, by the time of the finishing stone it was just a few bench swipes and then mostly in-hand.

Other people do that kind of thing? I'm sure I can't be the first person to think of it, and as I say - it worked a treat. King 800 > Naniwa 4k > Tam > WoA, and a perfectly silent HHT 5 from heel to toe. Can't wait to use this razor now! :)

View attachment 1810726
Yup when setting the bevel I always found it easier to get the proper pressure on the bench I think. I used to do this with Shapton 1.5K and Coticules while setting the bevel. Kind of going from bench to hand and go to hand honing from then on.

Legion

Staff member
Yup when setting the bevel I always found it easier to get the proper pressure on the bench I think. I used to do this with Shapton 1.5K and Coticules while setting the bevel. Kind of going from bench to hand and go to hand honing from then on.
Same. Bevel and maybe mid range on the bench, finishing stone(s) hand held.

Other people do that kind of thing?

Most definitely! I switch between holding the razor with two hands (bench) and one hand (hand holding). Depends on what I am doing.

I normally finish each grit hand holding. Took me a while to gain proficiency and confidence holding the razor with one hand but now I have more control when honing with little to no pressure using one hand. I would not, however, try to remove a chip using one hand.

I have one 4/8 razor: a Rudolf Schmidt near wedge. I remember needing to really concentrate to keep the blade flat on the stone.

Very happily a finishing day, and a sweet one. Great grandpas razors from the Oklahoma farm. A man I never met, but am back in touch with, somehow. A very good day to have wonderful finishing options.

I’ll note that great grandads razors were dull as expected after 50 years, and worn as expected, but had no geometry issues at all. Tom knew how to do it.

IMG_6231.jpeg

I have been working the heck out of the two of late. Neither needed a refresh but I needed to unwind. Kept the 66 on the Thuringian, slurry diluted to water. On the GM777, I traded in the Hybrid edge (man it been good), for a La Gris. Dilucot to 100ish feather light passes on water. No testing, no loop, going straight to face with it here in about 20 min.

IMG_4962.jpeg

I found what looks like an Arkansas stone in an old tool box. So, I decided to see if this could add something to a jnat edge.
I killed the edge and braugt it back on this Arkansas (soft maybe), lapped with a 400 atoma.
Jnat with 600 dmt slurry, followed by some tomo slurry.
A little unusual (to me) scratch pattern from the Arkansas stone.

Arkansas edge. Looks quite similar to a 2k edge.
2024-03-14-11-40-51.png

Jnat edge
2024-03-14-11-59-22.png
20240314_120213.jpg

I got a new Shapton Kuromaku 5k, thinking it may take the place of my Haybusa 4k in the synth progressions. Played around a little last night going from the 1.5 to the 5k, then Fuji 8k and 12k SS. I really like the feel of the 5k. I didn't compare it directly to the Hayabusa 4k yet but my initial impression is that leaves a different finish, visually, but it's still a good setup for the Fuji.

Thanks for the suggestion to set the bevel with the BBW side of the stone. This coticule is pretty darn hard and fine so making it a one stone hone was pretty impossible till now. I jointed the edge of this DD and went to the BBW side. Granted, I’ve never done this before so I was rather surprised how well it worked. Kept on this side till the bevel was set, didn’t take long, and the edge was tree topping hair.

From there I went to the yellow to finish. The resulting edge is very nice with a really good HHT before the linen and improved afterwards.

Don’t need to shave today but I think I have to try this edge.

View attachment 1810152View attachment 1810153View attachment 1810155View attachment 1810156
Bbws never get any love but I think they are just as excellent stones as a yellow coticule. Most are coarser but they can be a very good finishers of you find a fine one. They're usually fast and the coarse ones leave teeth on knives.

Legion

Staff member
I found what looks like an Arkansas stone in an old tool box. So, I decided to see if this could add something to a jnat edge.
I killed the edge and braugt it back on this Arkansas (soft maybe), lapped with a 400 atoma.
Jnat with 600 dmt slurry, followed by some tomo slurry.
A little unusual (to me) scratch pattern from the Arkansas stone.

Arkansas edge. Looks quite similar to a 2k edge.
View attachment 1812136
Jnat edge
View attachment 1812137View attachment 1812138
Yep, that looks like a soft Ark to me, though online they call it a hard Ark "razor stone". Hard to measure the SG when it's glued to a paddle, I guess.

Bbws never get any love but I think they are just as excellent stones as a yellow coticule. Most are coarser but they can be a very good finishers of you find a fine one. They're usually fast and the coarse ones leave teeth on knives.
Since they’re slower than the coti layer, my instinct is they help when deburring cutlery (and when it doesn’t matter you’re knocking the keenness back a bit). I’m really liking the coti for griding then BBW for deburring and finishing in the kitchen. The OG dual hone.

The shave after Wednesday's honing was good, but I got board last night and tried something different. Slapped a little mineral oil on the coticule and made another 100 laps with the GM777. What a difference :eek2:! Never had an issue getting a good shave of this little coticule but this produced the best HHT yet. The real test, the shave was excellent, keen and kind. This experiment just became routine. Thanks again Rick.

Top Bottom