What's new

Water on Arkansas?

Do I need to use oil or will water suffice? I ran across this video and would like some feedback. Specifically
  1. Can I use water? Will there be any long term negative impact on the stones? (I am guessing no as they have survived millions of years in the earth)
  2. I am guessing its ok to go to oil from water, but what about the other way around?
  3. Clogging: Water vs Oil. Guessing Oil has more specific density to keep the metal out of pores. Am I correct?
The video that started it:

Legion

Staff member
Some people use water, but the general consensus is they are oil stones and that works better.

If it is a new stone and you want to try water, go for it. It wont hurt the stone at all. It might clog with swarf a bit, but that can be fixed. If the stone has been used with oil you will need to degrease it if you want to try water.

You can use oil or soapy water.
The pores of the surface gets loaded with metal. When that happens they will cut slower.
Soap and oil also helps to reduce this, in addition to providing lubrication.
I use WD40.
I have also used Ballstol mixed with water. I could not stand the smell, but it did work well for me.
Water on an Arkansas stone did not work well for me.

Interesting......
I only use the translucent stones, so I don't know about the other ones, but I only use water, never oil.

Using oil on the softer stoned helps keep the swarf floating and easier to clean off. Anything that does soak in can usually be removed by soaking in solvent.
I don't like to use soap on softer Arks because getting soap scum out of a stone is miserable and if it builds up removing it wiil be something I'd have to do. Can't stand grungy stinky ugly stones hanging around.
I will use soapy water, glycerine/water, or sometimes different types of oils on a Translucent or SB type of Ark because nothing soaks in and clean up is easy.
There really are no absolute rules though, it's a matter of practicality and preference.
Me, I prefer simple composition non-fragrant honing mediums.

Old greasy Arks can be easily degreased soaking in degreaser solution, Simple Green, Dawn Pro Degreaser or Awsome. Some may take weeks.

If you use oil on a new or clean stone, it can easily be washed off with a bit of Dawn dish soap, water and scrub brush, after use.

I use Smith’s or Ballistol a few drops on a wet stone. Or on soft arks 50% water reduction of Windex.

They all work, just find the lube that works best for you, no down side to the stone, they are after all, just rocks.

Water and Ballistol…can’t go wrong on most any stone. I use 3-in-1 oil on all my Arkansas stones pretty much because that’s the way my ancestors did it🤷‍♂️
IMG_6132.jpeg

As said, no hard rules. I like liquid soap and a splash of water, glycerin water, mineral and baby oil.
ballistol/water being my favorite. I never really measure. I spray, splash and go. Have fun!

Reactions: Wid
I use Dawn and water 1/10 ratio in general. You can add more water if the viscosity is not to your liking. Work well for me. Not as messy as oil and works just as well for how I hone on a Ark.

I flip back and forth all the time. I'm really careful to not let the stone go dry if I'm using water, it always takes my edges backwards.

Some people will opinionate that water is less messy than oil.

I don't find oil to be messy. It stays on the stone, and is easily wiped off.

There is only one rule: what works for you. Lots of choices:
  1. Mineral oil
  2. Water
  3. Water with dishwashing soap (like Dawn)
  4. Water with glycerin
  5. Mineral oil with grain alcohol
  6. Mineral oil with transmission fluid and diesel fuel. @Wid has the magical formula :).
For mineral oil, here are some of the more popular choices:
  1. 3-In-One
  2. Ballistol
  3. Food-grade mineral oil
  4. Norton Sharpening Stone Oil
  5. WD-40
Most of the guys tend to shy away from oils that go rancid over time.

I have tried all of the above except for Ballistol and @Wid's magic formula with my current favorite being the Norton oil.

After using oil, I wash the stone with Dawn.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Another member here was having success with Norton honing oil so I gave that a try on my new hard Ark. I like the feel, simple and easy wash up with some dish soap and water. Working for me.

Top Bottom