What's new

Vitalis alternative

I love Vitalis (or I should say I love the Rite-aid off brand). It gives my hair the perfect hold with only a tiny bit of shine. I have never had a hair product work better for me. But I don't care much for the way it smells. Kinda like hairspray.

How do other hair tonics fair when it comes to hold? Do the Pinaud ones give much hold? I wanted to try a different one the other day but the barber didn't have any.

Vitalis works incredily well for me also.....but I don't like the smell.

I ordered one of every type of hair tonic available from Appleton Barber Supply.

Surprise! Beau Kreml is pretty much Vitalis with a VERY light scent I find pleasant. You can find them here:

http://www.appletonbarbersupply.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=43&cat=Tonics

They have a flat shipping rate so if you buy several products the prices are extremely reasonable. (Great service also.)

Edit-The ingredient list in Vitalis and Beau Kreml are identical.

The Pinaud hair tonics and Pashana friction lotions (essentially the same type of product) do not offer hold. They are a leave condtioner so to speak. They soften the hair via their glycerin content which draws moisture to it. They help with fly away hair strands and things like that. If you want more hold most of them can be ordered with oil. However, I warn you that the slightest over use of them will give you new meaning to the word greaser. Particularly if your hair is fine or very straight. I would agree with you about the scent of Vitalis. I just don't care for it. BTW, it is "heavier" than the Pinaud or Pashana friction lotions without oil but not by much.

Regards, Todd

Hmm, maybe I will just have to live with the smell in Vitalis. Whatever is in it gives me the perfect light hold I love. I still might try the Pinauds just for fun and scent.

I would second the Groom & Clean, too, but if you have an issue with the smell of Vitalis, you might consider that G & C has its own little *vintage* smell as well. Personally, I'm not a fan of it - like the hold, not the smell.

Top Bottom