What's new

Vintage Strop Question

I purchased this strop at a garage sale, It came in a box of leather pieces... I didnt really notice it until i started sorting through the box. I know very little about strops, but this piece looked interesting. The leather looks to be in decent shape and with a little polish would be almost good as new.

If someone could tell me a little about it and possibly provide a worth estimate that would be great.

if it's in good shape vintage strops have been going for 15-30 dollars on the bay. Tough to give a more exact figure and would have to see what the rest of it looks like. I don't recognize the name but that doesn't mean anything. There were tons of makers/rebranders back in the days. What are you planning to do to refinish it. I would suggest looking through the threads to get some ideas.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
A full picture of the strop would be required, lenght, size also...

I was planning on thoroughly cleaning it, and then letting a cream conditioner soak into it for awhile (same process i would use to condition a saddle).

Where would be a good place to get it assessed in person? I have no use for it and would rather it go to a home where it will be appreciated.

Luc

Staff member
I was planning on thoroughly cleaning it, and then letting a cream conditioner soak into it for awhile (same process i would use to condition a saddle).

Where would be a good place to get it assessed in person? I have no use for it and would rather it go to a home where it will be appreciated.

I just notice, your second post now.

Welcome to B&B!

It depends where you are located, some gents might be able to meet with you to have a look. Otherwise, clean it yourself and put it back on sale.

I really dont have anything to measure it with now.... im posting from my laptop and the pictures are all taken on my phone. Here are a couple more pictures...
Thank you for the help it is much appreciated

Luc

Staff member
The leather seems in a poor condition, it might need sanding + conditioner... If you can take bigger pictures, it should help.

The main thing i noticed about the leather is that it was faded. Its not cracked and is still really flexible. So am definitely hoping that some if not most of the color/richness return with conditioning. I cant really take bigger pictures because i have to email them from my phone and it compresses the images so they can be sent. ONce i have access to a regular camera ill be sure to post them.

Luc

Staff member
The main thing i noticed about the leather is that it was faded. Its not cracked and is still really flexible. So am definitely hoping that some if not most of the color/richness return with conditioning. I cant really take bigger pictures because i have to email them from my phone and it compresses the images so they can be sent. ONce i have access to a regular camera ill be sure to post them.

If there's no cracks or nicks you could probably go directly to Leather conditioner...

Top Bottom