What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

Beautiful collection,every traditional shaver dreams about finding these great sets...You can halt evaporation by simply dripping candle wax around the cap seal.After using it,just reseal.A zip lock bag helps,but wax sealing is better.

Pick up a roll of 4" parafilm M off ebay for a few bucks. It's plasticized wax film with a paper backing so it doesn't fuse to itself. With a little stretching and pressing it forms a moisture-tight seal against smooth surfaces and itself. It's used in laboratories to seal containers to keep humidity in or out and also by horticulturists to bind freshly grafted trees so they don't dry out. Much easier and cleaner than dripping candle wax everywhere.

Roderick,
I don't plan on using it for now. I've got several vintage Williams and Colgate pucks that I'd use first. Plus I'd like to get another Williams stick, even if its only a re-fill before I use this one.

Picked these 2 from a local Goodwill... I now have 3 unused pucks. $Shaving 006.jpg$Shaving 007.jpg$Shaving 008.jpg

The 2 mugs I got a few months ago and haven't had the time to post. I paid $3.00 each. The Goodwill store I usually go to is a hit or miss kind of thing. I try to stop in once every few months. The Yardley was actually $3.50. This soap is really great. One of my favorites. Excellent scent. I think I really lucked out on the Yardley. I also picked up an Old Spice lime after shave and lime cologne for $4.00 each at the consignment shop in Cape Cod last week.

Coventry Cowboy, that score is patently unfair! Congrats, I believe I hold the distinction for paying the highest price ever for a NOS 1930's Yardley shave soap, at the height of the market about six years ago. Of course I was in a bidding war against many of the BRETHEREN here. I've yet to see one in the wild, great catch!

Hi,

Yardley is grand. It is the one shaving thing which used to be in the drug stores which I really, really miss.

Stan

yes, cannot beat three buck yardley!
here is vintage williams cream in tube.
guess circa 1950's.
seems to lather but have not yet shaved with it.

$williams vintage shave cream.jpg

$williams vintage shave cream back.jpg

Hi,

Ok. I have been on the road for a couple weeks. Along the way, I decided to bring back the shaving stuff from Mom's place. This was what my Dad was using when he passed on back in 1995.

What fits this group is an Old Spice mug with Old Spice shaving soap still in it. :)

Stan

got the time to shave today with this vintage tube of williams shave cream.
it lathered just fine and gave a great shave.
perhaps not as thick as williams mug hard soap, but nicely lubricating and lasting lather.
still some hint of scent, perhaps a soapy-lavender, actually close to the non-mentholated original aqua velva.
pictured here against a photo of a favorite watering hole outside kingman, az.

proxy.php

picked up a puck of vintage Watkins shaving soap. Does anyone have any info on this soap? or have you heard of it before? Information is scarce on this product. Its the one on the right. sorry if the pic is small, im not good at posting pictures.

$haul1.jpg

Top Bottom