What's new

Vetiver EO boosted AS

Ad Astra

The Instigator
At Christmas I had picked up a new Crusellas aftershave/cologne, their Vetiver.

Crusellas and Company: Manufacturers and Distributors of Colognes, Private Labels and Esoteric Products

Crazy Cuban Colognes!

Like most of their products, a weak alcohol and water mix with fragrance. It smelled a little bit like Vetiver; overall, nice. I put it aside.

After recently acquiring Lalique Encre Noir, a powerful and good Vetiver cologne, wondered if I could bring the weak aftershave up to speed and make a matching combo.

Luckily I had Vetiver essential oil on hand. Now, EOs don't dissolve in water or witch hazel, they are a sticky mess that only sublimates in alcohol.

Added about 4 drops of the EO to a 4 oz decant of the Crusellas aftershave. It dissolved! Added 4 drops glycerin - so far, so good. Then added 2 drops of castor oil and bam, the stuff turned cloudy.

But when I shook it up and splashed it on, wow! Great Vetiver scent with amazing face feel - that faint shiny face look a little too much glycerin gives, but feels great.

A real Vetiver aftershave ... Ahhhh.

AA

I have glycerin which I regularly add to my aftershave for added moisturizing. I also have castor oil on hand but have never added them to any of my aftershaves. Does it help that much? How many drops per ounce do you add?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I only added two big drops to 4-5 oz of AS. The cloudiness cleared after a while.

Gillette Cool Wave AS, for one, uses hydrogenated castor oil - where I got the idea.

Something in there gave a great face feel that alky only AS never does. They just dry you.

I do add glycerin to Pinaud AS products as well.

AA

Quite a few of my aftershaves have hydrogenated castor oil. I just didn't know how that compared to regular castor oil and if you could put it in aftershave. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the info.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Decant a small amount and add a drop ... One or the other is giving a great face feel.

I actually added two more drops of vetiver EO. Stuff smells better than the cologne! A different vetiver, more earthy.

AA

you might try a sample of Royall Vetiver lotion.
Nice vetiver scent, a bit on the piney side, IMO.
And you don't have to mess in the kitchen!

vetiver.jpg

Top Bottom