What's new

Verified- ink can make a difference

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I once again proved to myself that ink can make or break a pen. I bought a late 80s Cross Century when it was new. I used the Cross ink cartridges. I never did like it, and put it away until I discovered the Nib. When I did, I cleaned it up and loaded it up with Pelikan 4001 Black. I hated it. I was convinced that I didn't like fine nibs, because it felt scratchy. Once again, I put it aside. To me, it couldn't be the ink- it worked great in all my other pens.

Later, I picked up some Lamy Black, mainly because of the unique bottle. On a whim, I cleaned up the Cross and gave it another chance, loading up with the Lamy ink. Oh my- it was like a totally different pen. It flowed beautifully, and I didn't feel any scratchiness. This was a winning combo that I have enjoyed for over a year now.

Like the title said- I verified that ink can make a difference. I was at work and had to fill the pen. Man, the pen was writing horribly. I decided to clean and refill. Still felt bad. I finally had a slow part of the day, and sat down for some PG Tips. Then I saw it- my Pelikan Blue-Black (which I use in my M200 and Parker51) was sitting on my desk, not the Lamy. In my haste I had grabbed the wrong ink. I cleaned the pen again, filled with other Lamy, and was back to writing bliss.

The moral is don't just write a pen or an ink off as junk just because a certain combination doesn't work for you. Experiment a bit. A pen I thought was junk is now in my regular rotation because I figured out what it liked. Thanks for reading my long winded post.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pelikan Brilliant black is one dry ink. Even drier would be that blue-black 4001. :blush: Oops.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Pelikan Brilliant black is one dry ink. Even drier would be that blue-black 4001. :blush: Oops.
Both work very well in the M200 and P51 (both medium nibs) maybe they allow more flow? I think I tried a few Noodlers through it, too.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pelikans and Parker 51s are normal flowing feeds when working properly (clean). Many pens without a generous flow need a "laxative ink" such as PR Tanzanite, famous also as a staining ink.

I've never tried Lamy black but I certainly wouldn't call their old formula (iron gall) blue-black free flowing, it's anything but. Good for those gushers, I've got a couple.

I've found that sometimes a pen writes better after having been filled and used, flushed and filled again a few times. Rediscovered pens that suddenly seem to write better. I've never worked out whether it was just the different ink or some physics with the pen (wearing in or whatever). But I think it's at least possible it's some of the latter.

Some inks like some pens better... My VP with a Binder nib and a 8 on the wet scale is almost too slow for registrar ink but it gushes with so many others!

Yes. Sailor Jentle Black flows luxuriously through the stingy feed in my Pilot Prera. I tried it in my M200, and it's just too gushy.

I know people regard Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black as a really dry ink, but in a Pelikan, it's a really nice ink.

ink can definitely make a difference. a dry ink in a fine nib can be less than ideal, and wet ink in a wet nib can be a mess

Top Bottom